Rapid Ring App suddenly has "weak connection issues"

Ubiquiti seemed to be baffled themselves with this, they clealry dont think its an internal internet / network issue.

They gave me a beta release of the next upgrade to the access points and router to see if this resolves the issue… well after a full reset and update… did not fix the issue.

The Rapid Ring app clearly must have an issue on IOS app v1.6.3 (1.6.3.0), as the main ring app live view has no issues whatsoever.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s a Ubiquiti issue, because I have also have a unifi setup and Rapid Ring works perfect on Android devices.

It does not work well on iOS (iPhone or iPad) - I would say the issue is with the iOS Rapid Ring app.

Hi,

Update to the latest iOS Rapid Ring app v1.7.0.3 - I don’t want to curse it, but it seems more stable.

Can you all post some feedback if you try the new app.

1 Like

mine was fine utill the update. now it doesnt connect even though the main screen shows them online.

Hi,

Kill the app , launch the app and try again.

did that

1 Like

I updated to v1.7.0 (1.7.0.3). about 2 days ago… I did have to delete and reboot phone and reinstall for it to work as it gave me the unable to connect warning a few times… i am not going to jinx it but it does seems to have fixed whatever the issue was after the reinstall!

I have turned off auto updates on my phone just in case! will keep testing - Its been working fine on my android tablet throughout all the updates no problem.

Hi,

That’s a good point. If anyone is having issues - before updating/installing the latest version, delete the current Rapid Ring app first.

even after reintalling the app earlier and smae problem it suddly video suddly works.

@dcfox1 wrote:

even after reintalling the app earlier and smae problem it suddly video suddly works.

Did you delete the app and then do a soft reset on your phone (i have a iphone 11 pro max) so have to quickly press volume up and then volume down and then hold the side button and keep it pressed until the apple logo appears on the screen then let go. Then went to the app store and downloaded the Rapid RIng App - logged in and it worked.

Do you also have the main ring app?

I’ve done the same. Still getting “weak connection” display at the top and video is choppy. It’s not an issue on my end. I have Blink cameras that are farther away from my router. This needs to be fixed. But, since Blink is beta testing live notifications, perhaps it’s time to switch everything to a service that doesn’t charge me monthly, AND doesn’t have connection problems.

1 Like

@JP16 wrote:
I’ve done the same. Still getting “weak connection” display at the top and video is choppy. It’s not an issue on my end. I have Blink cameras that are farther away from my router. This needs to be fixed. But, since Blink is beta testing live notifications, perhaps it’s time to switch everything to a service that doesn’t charge me monthly, AND doesn’t have connection problems.

From what i can gather these devices do have very weak radio antenna’s as you could be right next to the router and still get a weak signal. They are not very good at picking up the strongest signal.

I am guessing you have checked your RSSI level on the device settings, personally anything over 65 you will start to face issues, where as other cameras will not.

You have a couple of options to try if you have not done so already.

Delete the main ring app and the rapid ring app - soft reset your phone and reinstall both apps sign in to the main ring app first and then the rapid ring app - see if this makes any difference.

Reset your device and go through the set up process again and reset the internet connection to it.

1 Like

RSSI levels aren’t in the green at 55. I’ve done all that. The main Ring App is fine. The Rapid Ring app shows the connection issue and stutters the video.

For a company that charges a monthly fee, they need to do better.

@JP16 wrote:
RSSI levels aren’t in the green at 55. I’ve done all that. The main Ring App is fine. The Rapid Ring app shows the connection issue and stutters the video.

For a company that charges a monthly fee, they need to do better.

What phone are you using? Yeah the main ring app may be fine but doing the same for both may help if you have not tried that.

Do you have any other device you can use to test? laptop, echo show, fire tv or a tablet/ipad? just to rule things out.

If they are working fine then i would give RING a call they maybe able to suggest something else or go through some more troubleshooting with you for all its worth.

1 Like

My Ring Ap is doing the same thing showing weak signal, I installed a new router and reset Ring, also deleted and reinstalled Ap - not making any difference, I stil get same message regardless of whether on 4G or WiFi ??? Was fine till few days ago

I am getting same message on both Ring , and Rapid Ring Ap done all resets - no different, same on 4g and WiFi baffled

I’ve had this same problem start about a week ago. Main Ring app, connecting to a doorbell and camera and get the ‘Your phone’s connection is very weak’. My connection is fine, over 100Mb down.

Same here, and problem began about the same time ago as well. A week or so …

Now whenever trying to activate live view either manually or by tapping on pop-up notifications from my front ring door doorbell or stick-up camera in the driveway.

I frequently get “Phone connection is weak” (or “… very weak”) messages. But 2.4 GHz WiFi signal strengths read good at both the doorbell and driveway camera. And my android Smartphones also have good WiFi signal strengths. And connect over the 5Ghz band at 100-300 Mb/s down/up to a 1 Gb/s internet connection from AT&T Fiber.

1 Like

I am eperiencing the same issue involving a weak signal

Same here Iain

I have 8 ring devices and both Ring and Rapid Ring worked fine for me until a couple of weeks ag. My download is 40Mbps and upload is 22Mbps AND at at least 3 devices are only 2 metres from my Mesh WiFi point and yet I can no longer connect to ANY cameras, even tho my RSSI averages around -40~-60 so its clearly a Ring Server issue

Try to get them to admit that would be impossible. they’ll contantly blame user settings. Just about ready to upgrade to Arlo I think

Tired of the poor quality from Ring lately

1 Like