Previews & snapshots not working on some of my cameras for 9 days...

I’m hoping someone can help because I am beyond frustrated with my ring devices which I have been using for almost 2 years now for some of them without any problem. I have 4 cameras, all wired: 1 doorbell pro, 1 floodlight cam and 2 “regular” cams. Software is up to date on all of them, devices are all healthy and signal strength is excellent on all of them. Yet, for 9 days now, I have not had any previews on the floodlight cam and one of the regular cams. My husband who is a shared user has no problem and sees all the previews for all the cams on his phone (same samsung phone as mine). I have removed the ring app and reinstalled it, no change. I have updated my android software on my phone, no change. I have rebooted my router, still no improvement. I have also tried to download a snapshot on any of the cameras and it is giving me a download failure message (even though snapshot capture is enabled under all devices). I am reluctant to reboot the cameras because my husband has no issue at all on his end which is really weird given that we have exactly the same setup. Any suggestion?

Sorry to hear about this, @BeanCounter! You’ve done a great job to factor out many variables through testing and comparison. Rebooting the router would have certainly resolved any communication concerns and, as you stated, the Camera itself seems to be producing these snapshots no problem.

The best next step will be to see what other differences might exist between Android mobile devices. I recommend ensuring vpn is disabled, as well as checking for any apps that might conflict with the Ring app. If possible, try logging in to another mobile device entirely to see if these snapshots appear as intended. Feel free to let us know how this goes! :slight_smile:

Hi Marley,

Thank you for your response. Actually my husband who is a shared user started to have the same problems with the same cameras last night. In addition, the doorbell camera decided to stop altogether, when we had no problem with this one before, not even with the previews… So I decided to do something different, since it had become a camera problem, rather than a phone problem. I shut the electricity off completely in my house for 5 minutes, not just the camera breakers, to see if it would refresh the system. And it did… All the cameras are back online and the previews are refreshing every minute on all of them. However, I still cannot download a snapshot from a recording. It still fails. So I have to figure that one out. But at least, everything is back online, recording and previewing as it should, which is the most important.

1 Like

Great call on power cycling the system! Glad to hear this worked. As for downloading a snapshot, this works best when visiting the snapshot in the timeline view with the timeline paused. Once the timeline is positioned over the snapshot, tapping the more actions (circle with 3 dots) option at the bottom right, should display a “snapshot” option. This operation will need photos permission, if not already accepted.

Hello, I have the same problem with snapshots.
Entered the more actions button, enters snapshot, after spinning around some seconds, it says SNAPSHOT DOWNLOAD FAILED…
Floodlight cam and Galaxy S9 phone.

Hey neighbors! I’m happy to chime in for Marley here. If the previous suggestions did not work to resolve your concern with Snapshot Capture, then you’ll want to contact our support team directly. You can give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. They’ll be able to look more closely at your device and account to determine what’s causing this concern. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. :slight_smile:

I updated my iphone to ios14.5 and the preview feature seems to be back working.

@BeanCounter if I understand what you are describing, seems like this is also being actively reported and discussed on the cam board.