Poor Customer Regarding Snapshot Feature

Ring,

You need to be clear with customers that have purchased new Ring camera devices marketed with a functioning snapshot feature, which contain old hardware the new snapshot firmware does not support. This should sound familiar to you.

To be clear, we purchased a Floodlight camera in December from Amazon, had a problem with it, received a replacement unit from Ring containing old hardware which is preventing the firmware update to complete. It appears the Ring Pro doorbell has the same or similar root cause since a unit coming from Amazon has the same issue.

Shame on you for failing to obtain a passing grade on new firmware in the backwards compatibility test space before marketing a feature on your site.

Take ownership, would you? This is not my problem, it’s yours, these suggestions may help. Provide your level 1 support with info so they can escalate the calls instead of your customers having to kick and scream their way to level 2.

Develop bookends for when the issue started and stopped, sort remaining inventory to stop shipping defective devices.

Then run a quarry to those MAC IDs with bad hardware that recently came online this past month since the feature released. Those need to be the cameras that get the updated firmware first before anyone else. Understand, we purchased a device that doesn’t work that was for sale on your website with a feature called snapshot.

I’d like to speak with a customer service manager on this issue. Calling your hotline doesn’t work since today I spent 2 hours on the phone with greater than level 1 support, including at least 1 supervisor. Not to mention the 6 agents of spoken to over the past week.

I would like to be compensated for the disruption and inconvenience Ring has put me through. Getting this far was a nightmare.

Respectfully, I wouldn’t mind being on your payroll for a week to take all your customer calls for this issue now that I know more about it than most of your level 1 tech support reps.

Thanks
Dave

1 Like

Ring.com cites…

“Note: This feature is currently available on new device setups.”

“Snapshot capture is available on all Ring devices.”

Ring will reap what they sow. I recommend that Ring senior leadership all receive the book, “How Will You Measure Your Life”, by Clayton Christensen. Then, give them a quiz on the content and fire anyone who doesn’t pass. I’m sure Bezos has read it, and he’d pass.

Sorry to hear about these concerns @Trekcycler. This is not the experience we intend and can assure you our support team is willing to assist further if needed. The Snapshot feature should be available on all devices soon, as stated in our help center article. Feel free to uninstall and reinstall the app on your mobile device, as well as keep an eye out for any updates.

As we value your feedback, I’ve delivered this to the appropriate teams for review. At this time, I do recommend reaching out to support as the concerns you have are more in-depth and best resolved with our support team.

Marley_Ring wrote:

Sorry to hear about these concerns Trekcycler. This is not the experience we intend and can assure you our support team is willing to assist further if needed. The Snapshot feature should be available on all devices soon, as stated in our help center article. Feel free to uninstall and reinstall the app on your mobile device, as well as keep an eye out for any updates.

As we value your feedback, I’ve delivered this to the appropriate teams for review. At this time, I do recommend reaching out to support as the concerns you have are more in-depth and best resolved with our support team.

Note the OP purchased this device in December of 2019 and then Ring sent a replacement unit (so 2 new units). How is that not considered a new device per the excerpt from the help center article (below) that you referenced:

" Note: This feature is currently available on new device setups. Access to this feature will be available for existing devices soon."

They seemed to have fixed the issue. I powered cycled my cameras yesterday and the firware updated to the latest. I’ve verified that Snapshot capture and Color Night Vision are now working; and the floodlights no longer turn on every 30 minutes.