No live view and stuck on activating device

It’s been months since the live view worked on my ring doorbell. RSI is fine and has good connection with the device, however every time I try live view, a black screen with activating device comes up and nothing will happen. I’ve tried resetting it multiple times to no avail.

1 Like

Hey neighbors. Live View is normally affected from a poor wifi connection, reduction in upload speeds (or download, but upload is more common with Live View, and upload is normally much less than download available from your ISP if you do a speed test), low battery on the device, a high RSSI value, interference from the router, or the wifi connection in the home being used elsewhere (kids, family, friends or roommate using the internet or working from home). If you are experiencing more concerns than just Live View, you can try the steps, but it may be best handled with our support team if your device is not functioning as it should. Below I will list out all possible options you can try! I’ve collected this from other neighbors and my own personal experience. :slight_smile:

Some neighbors have found relief to this concern by doing the following to their network:

• Switching networks for the device, whether this is from 2.4 Ghz to 5.0 Ghz (if possible for device/network to connect to)
  • Switching from connection to a router to a mesh system/Chime Pro/extenders and vice versa
  • Rebooting your router, ensuring that all ports and protocols are opened for the Ring devices
  • Ensuring you have proper speeds. Lots of neighbors during this time have noticed slower speeds because of the current conditions and changes to at home life
  • Disabling any VPNs

Some neighbors have found relief in this concern by doing the following to their Ring device:

• Completely reset the device by pressing and holding the setup button for 30 seconds and then reconnect the device.
  • Testing Live View with device next to the router
  • Ensuring device is fully charged
  • Looking at Device Health and confirming RSSI is in acceptable range

Some neighbors have found relief in this concern by doing the following to their app:

• Disabling VPNs on the phone
  • Trying the Rapid Ring app
  • Connecting to the app on wifi or mobile data only (testing whichever connection is not your normal)
  • Updating app/OS software on phone

Please note that if you do not feel comfortable enough preforming any of these troubleshooting steps to see if you can get your Live View working again, you can always contact our support team directly. They can take a look into your account and device to determine what is really going on, and what factor may be at play here. Please feel free to come back to this thread and post your solutions that you have found for Live View! For support, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

1 Like

Are you using an iOS device or android?

I am using iOS.

Same here. I am hearng it’s a transcribe issue, can’t help unless your at the device. Packet loss (whatever that means) My screen door (really, you mean the same door that’s been there for a year without issue) blah blah blah…

Seriously, I got this so I can monitor whats happening when I am NOT home. Totally WASTE OF MONEY. They have gone so far down hill since they started. I am BEYOND frustrated.

There’s good and bad to Ring right??? I see so many neighborhood issues I want to check in more frequently, but can’t. Maybe not knowing what’s happening is better? :frowning:

Seriously considering cancelling the service.

4 Likes

Same here. I am hearng it’s a transcribe issue, can’t help unless your at the device. Packet loss (whatever that means) My screen door (really, you mean the same door that’s been there for a year without issue)

Seriously, I got this so I can monitor whats happening when I am NOT home. Totally WASTE OF MONEY. They have gone so far down hill since they started. I am BEYOND frustrated.

There’s good and bad to Ring right??? I see so many neighborhood issues I want to check in more frequently, but can’t. Maybe not knowing what’s happening is better?

Seriously considering cancelling the service.

3 Likes

Ring: you guys need to address this issue with the live view…this is defeating the purpose of having a video doorbell if you can’t view…PLEASE FIX THIS ISSUE

18 Likes

I am having the same issues with this device. Any help?

2 Likes

Same problem on ios. Thinking of starting a class action lawsuit. Sick of the constant issues this device does not work as advertised and the bs excuses are not the problem. The problem is their system is junk and they refuse to fix it.

2 Likes

Same problem. IoS Ring app not loading Live View. Stuck on “Activating Device…” Also a lot more periods where it says “This footage is unavailable.” I don’t get it. Totally defeating the purpose. I was considering buying more Ring products but not likely after this.

3 Likes

Same problem here. “This footage is unavailable”. It started about midnight on 9/30. No recordings or time lapse photos since then.

Arrgh
On the trial. Cannot see me paying at this rate!

Everyone. Check the Ring status first. They are having issues today. Always check it first.
You can see it here.
https://status.ring.com/

2 Likes

The only thing that has changed on my end is upgrading my phone to iOS14, how can they blame everything but the app on this.

My network didn’t suddenly degrade when i upgraded to iOS14.

I haven’t been able to use my ring for days, i’m looking at the return policy now, i haven’t had mine that long.

Mine too this sucks. I live 15 miles away from my primary property and I can’t watch it

Same here…no live view, or maybe 1-3% of the time successful. A joke on my iPhone. And of course right after I purchased a yearly plan. What a waste.

Just wanted to update the group. After many tries troubleshooting, I decided to buy a chime pro and put it halfway between router and ring. It fixed the problem. My WiFi signal was not bad, so I’m a little perplexed, but glad it worked out.

Problem with live view stuck on activating device. However, my other ring camera working perfectly. Can you please help me to get the ring camera back working.

I just bought a batter operated camera (no doorbell) and face the same issue that it will NOT activate and show live video. It just keeps trying to activate but doesn’t get there. I re-booted the device and checked my wifi speed and iOS version. All is fine.

Is there a real solution to this besides “try everything in the world” ? Seems unstable if you have to throw the kitchen sink of ideas at the problem.

2 Likes

We are facing the same issue with the ring door camera. Have follow instructions in here and still does not work. https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360023439472-Fixing-Black-Video-Errors-by-Adjusting-Your-Router