No live view and stuck on activating device

Same here…no live view, or maybe 1-3% of the time successful. A joke on my iPhone. And of course right after I purchased a yearly plan. What a waste.

Just wanted to update the group. After many tries troubleshooting, I decided to buy a chime pro and put it halfway between router and ring. It fixed the problem. My WiFi signal was not bad, so I’m a little perplexed, but glad it worked out.

Problem with live view stuck on activating device. However, my other ring camera working perfectly. Can you please help me to get the ring camera back working.

I just bought a batter operated camera (no doorbell) and face the same issue that it will NOT activate and show live video. It just keeps trying to activate but doesn’t get there. I re-booted the device and checked my wifi speed and iOS version. All is fine.

Is there a real solution to this besides “try everything in the world” ? Seems unstable if you have to throw the kitchen sink of ideas at the problem.

2 Likes

We are facing the same issue with the ring door camera. Have follow instructions in here and still does not work. https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360023439472-Fixing-Black-Video-Errors-by-Adjusting-Your-Router

All, I am extremely technical and I can assure you this has nothing to do with poor signal quality or Wifi channel etc. as is quickly suggested. My Mesh access point is right on the other side of a window and literally 5 feet line of sight from the Ring doorbell. I get the spinning wheen of death each and every time there is activity. Please fix this problem.

5 Likes

I went through all the port forwarding suggested and still cannot open the Live View. It says “Activating Device” with the blue wheel spinning. I’ll be looking for a new company and leaving Ring/canceling service.

1 Like

Same here. A boomer techie (we invented this crap). 30 year career in high tech.

Live view is a crap shoot.

It has NOTHING to do with my LAN or WAN bandwidth (I’m at 850mbs *up and down*). I’ve got 5 802.11x triband mesh nodes. It’s not ports or the app or ANYTHING on my side.

How about (please) some update on the real casue and expected time for a solution?

8 Likes

Same here, no live view and stuck on activating device. Camera online, internet OK, battery OK.

2 Likes

Same issues here. Even when I’m at home connected to the same wifi network, all I get is the stupid ‘activating device’ wheel of death. I tried to connect to my Ring for over 30 minutes this morning and it just wouldn’t connect. I’ve followed every single ‘troubleshooting’ tip that’s been given and still no luck. I’m ready to replace this thing. This is a serious issue. There is absolutely no point in me having a video doorbell that doesn’t work.

1 Like

I had this problem today on my doorbell. I managed to fix it by going to the iOS Ring app, going to the Device Settings for the doorbell and turning Live View off, waiting a few seconds and then turning it back on again.

2 Likes

I’ve been having the same issue off and on for the past year. Usually removing the app and then re-installing the app helps. Although this is not a great solution, since it resets all your preferences.

The Rapid Ring app works as well, but lacks a lot of features that the Ring app, such as snooze and such.

1 Like

Last time I was able to “Live View” was 4 days ago, when we had a trespasser. Realized I had an issue yesterday when I couldn’t access my live view for my flood light camera at our track. My home doorbell works fine, for over a year. The floodlight camera was flawless up until this recent issue. My internet is far better at our track than at our home. This is very disappointing since we have had multiple break-ins this year, and now I don’t have the extra visibility to keep an eye on our property. We just bought 2 additional floodlight cameras to put up, but now I’m hesitant to install them if I will get the same result. Being that we are a 501c3, we can’t afford to install devices that do not work correctly.

I have the same sort of issue, however this only happens when I’m on my local WLAN, but works great when I flip to LTE. So clearly no issue with signal strength to the camera, no problem with upload, but something when I try to connect while on my own net. Just odd.

https://community.ring.com/t5/Ring-App/Live-View-Works-over-LTE-but-NOT-while-on-local-WLAN/m-p/67268#M1800

This worked for me too ??

Disregard my last - it failed again.
Strangely it all stopped working properly after my free period ended…

2 Likes

How is this a solution?? Get better internet, get a better router, invest in a mesh system… No other device on my wireless network has the issues the Ring camera does. I’m experiencing the same issues of no live view available and my Ring2 doorbell is 15 feet from my wifi router which is connected to 50GB up and down. I sure won’t trust another Ring product when the answers to it not working essentially involve be buying more infrastructure to support it.

2 Likes

I’ve never heard of 50 Gbps up and down. The highest is 1 Gbps.
I think you mean 50 Mpbs which is not really enough for live streaming, especially if you have other devices running as well. It’s explained here in detail.
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/internet-speed-what-you-need,news-24289.html

The troubleshooting outlined here didn’t work with my Ring. WiFi strength is above and beyond what Ring requires. No VPN, etc. Have rebooted numerous times. It’s been stuck like this for over 2 months. I have a Chime that is useless because it won’t stay connected to the internet. People ask me if they should buy a Ring and I tell them NO WAY. Stop ignoring everyone and fix these issues.

Hi there,

I’ve got a very interesting story about live-view, which at least in my case proofs it has nothing to do with any network issues:

I only have 1 Ring doorbell.
When that one is in kind of sleep mode, i can’t start Live View from my Android Device or the PC App, but whenever i start it from my iPhone, it works straight away and then it also works on any other device.
So somehome my iPhone (ios 13.6.1) it sends a different or lets say more effective wake up command,