New device not showing up in shared devices

Just bought a refurbed camera and am having the same issue - previous post may have hit on something, maybe this unit is installed on someone else’s account? It works fine on my account (master) but does not appear when sharing with wife or son (but doorbell cam does and that one was new in box)

Frustrating

I initially had this problem. In my case, it appears that the cause was the share invitation being sent to a different e-mail address than the e-mail address that I use for my Ring account. At first, I tried forwarding the invite e-mail to my Ring e-mail address, but that didn’t work. I then had my relative instead send a share invitation directly to my Ring e-mail address. It worked instantly.

I know how frustrating these problems can be. Hopefully the solution that worked for me will work for you. Good luck.

I had to remove my new device from the Light Group it was in for it to become available in the shared users screen. Tap on Device Settings | General Settings | Light Group and make sure “No Group Assigned” is selected. As soon as I did this, the Flood Light Cam was listed in Shared Users

4 Likes

OMG… that did it…

I simply removed the grouping from the device and it’s now sharable. This is definitely a bug. But this is an acceptable workaround.

3 Likes

This worked!!! Thank you ?

Removing from the light group worked. Thank you so very much.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. Removing from light group worked for me. Sounds like yet another bug in the Ring system. Hope they have this logged somewhere and get it fixed soon so other users don’t encounter this.

I contacted customer support regarding the issue and they said they are aware of it and should have a fix soon. Another workaround I found was after you share it with lights groups turned off, you can then add back the light groups and it does not remove the shared users access. I tested this and it works. You won’t see the shared cameras if you go into shared users, but I can live with that for the meantime. If you need to remove access, you need to first remove the light group and then you can see the device in shared users.

I missed it at first because the ring guide to set up shared user doesnt state that after you set it up, to see the other person camera you need to change the location at the top of your dashboard view.
Ring peeps, please add this to the instructions. I received the shared user invite and went to my ring and couldn’t see their cam until i realized i had to change the location at the top of the dashboard veiw.

3 Likes

I had the same problem. Was previously sharing the Doorbell fine, but after adding a security camera could not get it to show up on the shared person’s account. Ultimately, I uninstalled the app on the other person’s phone. Then in my Account I went to Control Center, Shared Users, Manage. Then I removed the shared user. I then sent them another invitation to register with both Ring devices checked. Theoretically, this might’ve worked if I had just checked the camera (Doorbell was already checked) but I figured it was better to start from scratch. Then I re-installed the app & both devices were showing up. Hope that helps!

1 Like

I just had this issue on the app, but after about an hour of playing with the app I found the solution (at least for me). At the very top of the app (above the modes) in the middle there should be your Location with a drop down button (I have it saved as Home). If you click that drop down, it’ll show you all the locations on your account. If by chance you installed the new item under a new location, you’ll have to click on that location to see the camera. I unistalled the device, and reinstalled it using my same location (Home) and now I can see both my cameras without any issues.

1 Like

Just when we needed the remote access whilst away fora few days, to stickup cam it decided to go offline! The only way to re-instate it was to start over and give it a new name.

THEN although it showed my wife as a shared user her app wanted her to install the camera. Your solution to uninstall and reinstall the app on her tablet worked. Thanks!

What unnecessarily complex software.

I had the same problem where my new ring doorbell was not showing up.

To fix, I had to go in and delete the devices from my old location, and then delete that location. Once I deleted all of that, my new Ring 3 doorbell then appeared in my device list.

Definitely a bug that needs to be fixed.

Hubby is the owners of device.
He shared with me.
I log in using my email and password.
Cannot find a device.
App tells me to scan the QR code on the device or packaging to add a device
His phone also shows that I did NOT accept is invite.
What is wrong?
Thank you

1 Like

When looking to view a shared device, make sure you are on the correct Location in the Ring app. Resending the Shared User invite is also a great option. If there are no additional locations, please wait some time to see if the shared devices will appear.

Please ensure the device being shared is not in a light group. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Hi Tom;

I have a slightly different issue. In my app I had 2 locations (both actually the same) so I deleted one location. When I went back to find my device (or to try and re install it) the systems bounces me saying the device is registered elsewhere. So now I’m in a terrible loop where I can’t “delete” my device nor can I add it

Hi @Harico59. Would you mind reaching out to our support team regarding this? They’ll be able to take a look at your account and make sure your device is on the correct location. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

I just installed a new Ring wired doorbell. It shows up on my iOS app on my phone no problem, but does not appear on my OS desktop on my Mac. I have 3 cameras and now this doorbell. I’ve tried uninstalling the desktop app, restarting my machine. Still can not see the new doorbell camera on my desktop.

Hey guys! If you are still struggling with shared devices, remember if you click at the top of our screen on your dashboard, you can change the property you are on or select all cameras

2 Likes