How do I change the number of vibrations for a Motion Alarm Notification?

Hi I have just switch from iphone to android (pixel 4) and I have installed the ring app for android.

On the android, the alert for a motion alarm notification was one vibration, on the android it is four vibrations, 2 vibrations, a slight pause, then 2 more.

Since the phone sits next to me all night, I want to switch it to one vibration. This might be controlled by android operating system vs the ring app, but I cant find it anywhere, does anyone know? Thanks

1 Like

Hey @pembroke, this is going to be a tweak to make on your phoneā€™s device settings. I would recommend going into Settings > Apps and then locate the Ring app and see if you can change the vibration settings from there. If you are still unable to find this setting, it may be best to reach out to your phone provider in order to adjust this!

1 Like

First, that didnā€™t work. But let me make sure I understand this. You are asking us to ask our phone provider (i.e. Samsung in my case) to make a change to your app? I agree with the OP. The 4 rings are obnoxious. Is there any reason why Ring canā€™t make this a customizable setting in the app?

1 Like

@MSUGOGRN The settings that I referenced would be in your phoneā€™s settings, not the Ring app. For the comment on reaching out to your provider, it would be in the instance if you were unfamiliar with managing your phoneā€™s notification and vibration settings to see if there were more customization options as each phone is different. At this time there is no feature to have other vibration settings than the one available, but the feedback has been passed onto the appropriate team!

1 Like

Thanks Chelsea. I had tried the settings in the phone but there is no capability in an unlocked Samsung S10 to modify vibration patterns or intensity by app. This is something that the ring app would have to do so thank you for reaching out to your developers.

2 Likes

An S10 can change notifications by app. It canā€™t change vibration patterns. It can be turned on or off per app. The phones settings can change your vibration pattern.

1 Like

I donā€™t remember how I did it on my Samsung Galaxy S8, but I was able to get the vibrations down from the four that OP is mentioning (two vibrations, pause, two vibrations) down to just one single vibration. I believe it was something within my phoneā€™s settings panel.

However, two days ago I ran a software update on my phone, and now I am back to the original four vibrations patternā€¦ I was hoping someone else had found the solution to this issue because the four vibrations are pretty obnoxious throughout the day.

There are 10 vibration settings on a Samsung S8+, once a vibration pattern has been set, this pattern is used for all apps, it is not possible to set a ā€˜per appā€™ setting. To locate the vibrations settings search Settings for ā€˜Vibration patternā€™, or alternatively navigate ā€œSettings-Sounds and vibration-vibration patternā€. Then chose the pattern you like best. I assume other later models of Samsung phones are very similar. With non-Samsung phones I would guess a search via the ā€˜Settingsā€™ for ā€˜Vibrationā€™ should provide the right location to change the vibration pattern.

Hope this helps

I have an S10+ and Iā€™m having the same issue.

There is a single setting for vibration pattern on the phone that all apps are to Honor. For what ever reason the Ring app does not Honor the default vibration pattern.this is a problem with the app not the operating system. Please stop telling us to change the setting in the phone ecause it doesnā€™t work. Escalate this to your Devs asap.

4 Likes

Definitely would love a change for this. So annoying. The only thing I want vibrating multiple times is a phone call.

Using OnePlus 6T.

2 Likes

Am a new proud owner of a Ring Pro doorbell. Upgraded from Skybell and almost everything has been a good upgrade.

But this issue is a real annoyance. We get many motion triggers each day - all valid, packages dropped off, kids in and out, etc. A single notification - like every other app on my LG v30 device - would be great. But 4 separate buzzes, spaced apart, is a huge distraction. Turning it off defeats the purpose of the motion sensing in the first place.

This is not a phone setting issue, it is the app either incorrectly using notifications or with a customization that is leading to more vibrations than necessary.

Please update this setting. Multiple vibrations is reserved for more urgent needs, like a Doorbell Ring that needs to be answered, or an incoming Phone call or meeting invite.

Thank you!

5 Likes

Thank you for sharing your experience with the Community @digitek! By design, your Ring app should notify per motion event, even if they are back to back. With the Ring Pro, you are able to have custom zones to fine tune what activity youā€™d like to pick up. If your entryway, or field of view from it, is an area frequented by visitors there are some other options to avoid excessive alerts.

While we believe more motion alerts are better than less, there are numerous settings such as Motion Scheduling, Snooze, the Motion Alert toggles, and even People only Mode depending on device type and subscription status.

If you feel the device is notifying your mobile device with unusual behavior, try removing and reinstalling the app, as well as checking on Ring and mobile device connectivity to ensure it is not connection related. There might also be settings specific to your mobile device model that might remind of alerts in this manner.

If you are looking to share your feedback on the current notification design, Feel free to add it to our Feature Request board. This will help us to organize and share your requests with our teams here, as well as allow other neighbors to comment and add interest, all in one place. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the quick reply but I donā€™t believe that you read through this thread as your response does not at all address the issue that many of us have brought up. Your comments lead to how to create the notifications and what will notify us. Our issue comes when we actually are notified. We canā€™t change the vibrate settings.

I have added this to the feature request board.

4 Likes

I believe I found a partial solution on Android devices at least.

For context, we are also now the proud owners of 2 chimes. The chimes are positioned in harder to hear areas of the house and have worked great so far. The motion alert is short, smooth and relaxing.

The phone app behavior on the other hand buzzes 4 long times - more than any other application or service notification I get on my phone other than an incoming call. Long after our chimes have finished, my phone is still vibrating.

This is not normal behavior for a notification - I am also an Android developer and the application is likely setting a custom or duplicate vibration patterns with the notification .

I noticed in the notification settings that Ring had many extra notification settings enabled by default, including two types of motion notifications:

ā€œMotion Notificationā€ and ā€œFront Door Motion Notifictionā€. I turned the generic ā€œMotion Notificationā€ off.

Next, I noticed that the Sound was customized to the Ring App notification sound. I changed that to a default sound from my device, a short one.

Finally, I found a ā€œSound with Vibrationā€ option in the Front Door Motion Notification options. I disabled that.

With these three changes, I am down to just 2 short vibrations now (when my phone is in silent/vibrate mode). I think there is still room for improvement, but I hope this information is valuable to your development team.

Thanks!

5 Likes

@digitek wrote:

I believe I found a partial solution on Android devices at least.

For context, we are also now the proud owners of 2 chimes. The chimes are positioned in harder to hear areas of the house and have worked great so far. The motion alert is short, smooth and relaxing.

The phone app behavior on the other hand buzzes 4 long times - more than any other application or service notification I get on my phone other than an incoming call. Long after our chimes have finished, my phone is still vibrating.

This is not normal behavior for a notification - I am also an Android developer and the application is likely setting a custom or duplicate vibration patterns with the notification .

I noticed in the notification settings that Ring had many extra notification settings enabled by default, including two types of motion notifications:

ā€œMotion Notificationā€ and ā€œFront Door Motion Notifictionā€. I turned the generic ā€œMotion Notificationā€ off.

Next, I noticed that the Sound was customized to the Ring App notification sound. I changed that to a default sound from my device, a short one.

Finally, I found a ā€œSound with Vibrationā€ option in the Front Door Motion Notification options. I disabled that.

With these three changes, I am down to just 2 short vibrations now (when my phone is in silent/vibrate mode). I think there is still room for improvement, but I hope this information is valuable to your development team.

Thanks!

Thanks for putting this together but I am having a very difficult time replicating what you have done. I can find the ā€œFront Door Motion Notifictionā€ but not the generic ā€œMotion Notificationā€.

From the app landing page, I do the following: Upper left menu pull down ā€“> Devices ā€“> Front Door (I have 2 optionsā€¦the front door and my hallway chime) ā€“> Device Settings ā€“> Alert Settings ā€“> App Alert Tones ā€“> Motion Alerts ā€“> This takes me to a front door motion notification page from settings. That is the only option I have. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

2 Likes

It may be different on different devices - on my Android device I do see two Motion settings, one generic and one listed for Front Door. I havenā€™t tried all combinations, but did find this in combination with changing the Sound in the Notification settings (of my Android device) to a generic sound, like the sound from the ring app. Perhaps the duration of the sound or treatment of a custom app sound is what was causing a longer vibration pattern.

@digitek - thank you for the great workaround. After a couple of times sorting out the step sequences - finally able to shorten the vibrations!

Steps are and follows on my Pixel 4a5G Android 11:

1. settings > see all apps > scroll down Ring App

2. Notifications > Motion notifications > Show Notifications > Off > go back to prev page

3. Select Front Door Motion Notifications > Advanced > Vibrations > Off > Go back to prev page

I didnā€™t do the step to change the Ring Notification option sound to a shorter one.

If you donā€™t see your Camā€™s Motion Notifications (like in step 3) - go into the Ring app > pick you desire cam > Device Settings > Alert Settings > App Alert Tones > Tap on Motion Alerts ( this does nothing) - you now will be able to see that specific cam in your step 3 above as part of the notifications setting list.

Thanks again @digitek for your solution.

Ring devs need to some work to catch-up to you!

1 Like

I am still having this issue of 2+2 vibrations and is extremely disruptive.

I have just disabled Ring vibrations all together and have a soft chime now but I keep my phone on vibrate so I will not get any Ring notifications nowā€¦