How do I change the number of vibrations for a Motion Alarm Notification?

I believe I found a partial solution on Android devices at least.

For context, we are also now the proud owners of 2 chimes. The chimes are positioned in harder to hear areas of the house and have worked great so far. The motion alert is short, smooth and relaxing.

The phone app behavior on the other hand buzzes 4 long times - more than any other application or service notification I get on my phone other than an incoming call. Long after our chimes have finished, my phone is still vibrating.

This is not normal behavior for a notification - I am also an Android developer and the application is likely setting a custom or duplicate vibration patterns with the notification .

I noticed in the notification settings that Ring had many extra notification settings enabled by default, including two types of motion notifications:

“Motion Notification” and “Front Door Motion Notifiction”. I turned the generic “Motion Notification” off.

Next, I noticed that the Sound was customized to the Ring App notification sound. I changed that to a default sound from my device, a short one.

Finally, I found a “Sound with Vibration” option in the Front Door Motion Notification options. I disabled that.

With these three changes, I am down to just 2 short vibrations now (when my phone is in silent/vibrate mode). I think there is still room for improvement, but I hope this information is valuable to your development team.

Thanks!

5 Likes