Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook Portal and Ring

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Facebook Portal and Ring

Is ther any way to get my Ring Doorbell to showup on my Facebook Portal?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: Facebook Portal and Ring

Hi @sunset100! The Facebook Portal does have Alexa built-in to the device, so if you have the Amazon Alexa app with the Ring skill on there, it should work for you. Make sure to download the Amazon Alexa app, then the Ring skill, and make sure your device(s) show up under the Alexa app.

Once that is done, make sure you get Alexa running on your Facebook Portal, and then you can say "Alexa, show me my front door." While there is not a Ring App for the Portal Device, you can do it through Alexa! Cat Very Happy

Like my answer? Accept it as a solution (click on the 'Accepted Solution' button next to reply). Learn more about the Community, here.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi @sunset100! The Facebook Portal does have Alexa built-in to the device, so if you have the Amazon Alexa app with the Ring skill on there, it should work for you. Make sure to download the Amazon Alexa app, then the Ring skill, and make sure your device(s) show up under the Alexa app.

Once that is done, make sure you get Alexa running on your Facebook Portal, and then you can say "Alexa, show me my front door." While there is not a Ring App for the Portal Device, you can do it through Alexa! Cat Very Happy

Like my answer? Accept it as a solution (click on the 'Accepted Solution' button next to reply). Learn more about the Community, here.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Will Ring alerts with live camera automatically appear on the Portal screen when someone rings the doorbell? Or is it necessary to ask Alexa to show the front door?
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Sadly, I just learned from Facebook Portal support that Ring doorbell alerts do not automatically appear on Portal, it's necessary to ask Alexa to show the camera when someone rings the doorbell, so not a very useful implementation at this time. Smiley Sad

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Still can't get ring doorbell camera view on portal.  What else can I try

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Try watching this video, it help me get everything setup.

https://youtu.be/iRfBXgxv6-c

Highlighted
New Neighbor

It was a bit of head scratcher since the portal doesnt seem to allow you to download any apps.  However, in Settings > Accounts, I did see 'Amazon Alexa' as one of the options.  So I found that I needed to create an Alexa account from your PC.  This may be associated with Amazon.com, but I created the same user name and password for Alexa (alexa.amazon.com).  I also made sure to have my Ring.com account and logged in from my PC.    It was also helpful to know your Facebook/portal login info.   Then go o to the Portal Settings > Accounts.  Select the Amazon Alexa option > log in and when all the accounts are logged in and on the wifi, it works great.  I fumbled around a bit with this, so hopefully this is correct and helpful to someone.

Highlighted
New Neighbor

We can see and listen to visitors, but it would be nice to be able to speak to them also. 

Highlighted
New Neighbor

The integration between portal and ring is completely stupid.

Ring doesn'nt wake up Portal, and it's not possible to talk to the ring with Portal.

Useless ! Bye bye Ring...

Highlighted
New Neighbor

How do you get it to show you when it detects motion without asking?