Changed name, name incorrect on alerts

I moved my Floodcam from a position overlooking my House Driveway to a position overlooking my Backyard. As a result I changed the Device Name in the app to “Backyard” from “House Driveway”. When I view the camera on the ring app for Android or the PC the device name is correct. However when I receive an alert regarding motion detected, the alerts say “Motion detected at the House Driveway” not “Motion detected at the Backyard”. Am I missing another place to change the name?

Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

Hi @ElectricianJim, can you please try pushing the setup button on top of your Floodlight Cam to enter it into “Setup Mode”, the light on the bottom should begin to flash. Then tap the button on top again to exit setup mode. This should get the new device name updated in the notifications. Please let us know how it goes!

I moved this post over to the Ring App board to help others with the same question.

1 Like

Thank you Riley_Ring!

I tried that but it has not solved the notification name issue, at least not when my Amazon Echo Show announces motion. It says “Motion Detected at the House Driveway” (old name) instead of “Motion Detected at the Backyard”. I have checked the name in the Alexa app as well.

Hi @ElectricianJim, sorry this is still occurring with the Alexa skill notifications.

Have you had a chance to disable and then re-enable the skill? If not can you please try this and let me know if that get the notifications name updated.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried disabling and re-enabling the skill. Unfortunately the behavior did not change :frowning:

@ElectricianJim, have you had the chance to tell your Alexa device “Alexa, discover devices.” If not, can you please try this and let me know if this gets the names matching between both apps. Thank you!

When I do this Alexa states “no new devices discovered”. And the behavior remains the same. Still states the old device name on motion.

Thanks for your persistence in helping.

Hi @ElectricianJim, I am happy to share these steps!

To start, can you check that the name of the device is updated in the Alexa app. After that, while still in the Alexa app, select your Floodlight Cam and toggle the Motion Announcement toggle off then back on. Please let me know if that updates anything.

Thank you for your time!

9 Likes

Toggling the motion announcement off and back on seems to have fixed it :slight_smile:

Thank you!

2 Likes

That is great news. Thank you for letting us know these steps helped @ElectricianJim and for marking it as a solution!

Just to be sure, the setting take effect, I also deactivated Motion Announcements then hit the Back arrow.

Once the screen goes up one level, go back to the camera you just deactivated and re-enable everything.

2 Likes

I had the same problem and this solved it immediately.

Thank you.

1 Like

It worked,Thank you!

2 Likes

I have the same problem, but I don’t have Alexa - only the floodlight cam and the app on my iPhone. What do I do to make the same fix you are making with Alexa?

Thx!! Worked:
Front door and Garden were in JPN at the first. Then I changed these names to ENU through Ring and Alexa apps, but it did not work for a month. Then I tried to above “turn on and off motion announcement and deactivated and re-enable at each camera setting on Alexa app.”
I was pretty sure that I made changes from turn-off to turn-on motion announcement for both devices, but one of them got turn-off automatically. When you made these changes, I strongly recommend that you check those setting again after a while!

Devices and Languages:
Got echo show 5 through Amazon JP. Using ENU & FRA on echo device.
However my android and apps of Ring and Alexa are all JPN setting.

JPN follows ENU
日本語ではなかなか検索に引っかかりませんが、Ring(リング)やAlexa(アレクサ) アプリで変更したカメラなどのデバイス名がEcho Show(エコー)デバイスで正しく反映されない事象に対して、以下の方法で解決しました。

エラー症状:RingとAlexaの両アプリ上で当初日本語だったRingカメラ名を英語に変更したが、Echoデバイスの再起動や時間経過(1ヶ月)しても正しい英語名が同期されず、日本名のため、モーション検知したカメラ名が発音されない。「Motion detected at the 玄関」で玄関部分が発音されない。

解決方法:①RingとAlexaアプリ上でのデバイス名の変更を再三確認してください。
②スマホなどでモーション検知名がFront doorなど変更されているのを確認。
③Alexaアプリ上でトップ画面下部にあるデバイスを選択。
④対象のデバイスを選択。
⑤右上の歯車セッティングマークを選択。
⑥「モーション検知をアナウンス」と「有効」が有るので、それぞれを一旦オフし、その後オンを念の為複数回実施。
⑦必要なデバイス全てで⑥までを実施。
⑧数分時間をおいて、再度⑥までの設定が正しくオンになっているかどうかを再確認。
以上でデバイス名が変更されるはずです。

動作環境:日本のアマゾンで購入したEcho Show 5、Androidスマホ、Ring Stick Up Cam Batteryx2台
言語環境:スマホ、スマホ上のアプリは日本語設定、Echo Show 5だけ第一言語を英語、第二言語をフランス語に設定

日本語ユーザーのお役に立てれば幸いです。

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.