Bug Report: Ring App turns on screen on Android 9, regardless of notification settings

Yup. LG V30 here with Android 9. Definitely have the (extremely aggravating) issue. Oh, and I tried the Rapid Ring app and it lets me log in, but gives me an error trying to connect to my doorbell. I give up.

@john wrote:
There is a option in Android 10 Settings/Display/Lock screen display/when to show. You’ll find a option to wake screen for new notifications. My wife and I have this off. It does nothing for the ring app. But it might help with non pixel Android 10 users?

Checked this route on my Oneplus 7 Pro and there’s nothing in here that can help me. Buttttttttt you’re post actually just lit a light bulb for me to the point were I feel dumb for not thinking about it before. I just remembered that you can search for options in android from inside the settings (They have so much nested options that I use it all the time). So I just opened the settings screen and used the search thats at the top and searched for the word “Wake”. And found an option that says “Don’t wake for notifications” and it has custom restrictions. Inside theres two options for when screen is off.

1. Don’t turn on screen (I just selected this one)

2. Don’t wake for notifications

They have other options for when the screen is on but we dont care about that stuff.

So I’m going to test these two options out when I get home to see if this will have any positive results for me. I’ll try my best to monitor it while I’m at work but I mostly keep my phone on vibrate but I’ll definitely see if they screen still turns on or not.

Maybe this will fix the issue for you since I’m assuming you’re using the always on display so you can choose the option to Don’t wake screen for notifications (Thats if you have this option). Unfortunately for me my stupid Oneplus Device doesn’t have always on display, so I can’t test that.

I just tried both of those 2 hidden options. No affect at all. I also don’t use the always on display. Wtf is going on here!
I’m surprised that you found those two options. Nice work… Seem like the only way to get there is do the search using wake as keyword…

This is rings problem. They are prioritizing the apps notification as high priority like incoming calls. Yes ring your app is important but not that important.

Yeah didn’t work for me either so definitely that app like we suspected before. I felt that same way about the notification prioritization you mentioned.

We just got to keep bumping this thread once a week or so. Hopefully if it’s near the top other people will join in. If I win the lottery. I’ll send free pixel phones to all ring employees. Maybe then they’ll get enough complaints

Just to let you all know that. The ring app doesn’t wake screen for alarm notifications. Only for camera notifications. Very starnge

Thanks for all the replies everyone, glad to know it’s not just me!

Really just replying to myself here, but I want to emphasize a couple of points.

1. This problem has existed since at least Android 9 and also affected my phones with Android 10
  2. I saw it on both my Pixel 2XL and Pixel 4
  3. No amount of customizing or disabling notifications stopped the app from waking the screen

And quoting myself since I still believe this to be an acurate summary:

“I hope that Ring does eventually take a closer look at how they’ve programmed notifications in the core app. I suspect the programmers have selected the wrong notification priority or type and that’s why it always wakes our screen. That or they’re telling the screen to wake as an additional action along with the notification. Either way, this app is behaving poorly by not following Android programming standards.”

The best temporary workaround available is to use the Rapid Ring app for notifications since it doesn’t share this issue. I also use the regular Ring app, with camera alerts disabled, for configuration and camera event history.

@john wrote:
We just got to keep bumping this thread once a week or so. Hopefully if it’s near the top other people will join in. If I win the lottery. I’ll send free pixel phones to all ring employees. Maybe then they’ll get enough complaints

Yeah definitely gonna keep bumping this thread. They need to slip in a dark mode while their at it too, app is too dang bright!

@SeaRob wrote:

Thanks for all the replies everyone, glad to know it’s not just me!

Really just replying to myself here, but I want to emphasize a couple of points.

1. This problem has existed since at least Android 9 and also affected my phones with Android 10
  2. I saw it on both my Pixel 2XL and Pixel 4
  3. No amount of customizing or disabling notifications stopped the app from waking the screen

And quoting myself since I still believe this to be an acurate summary:

“I hope that Ring does eventually take a closer look at how they’ve programmed notifications in the core app. I suspect the programmers have selected the wrong notification priority or type and that’s why it always wakes our screen. That or they’re telling the screen to wake as an additional action along with the notification. Either way, this app is behaving poorly by not following Android programming standards.”

The best temporary workaround available is to use the Rapid Ring app for notifications since it doesn’t share this issue. I also use the regular Ring app, with camera alerts disabled, for configuration and camera event history.

The crazy thing is I tried the rapid ring and it worked like charm but a few days later it started doing the same thing and turning on the screen. Another issue I had was the fact that it used the same notiification tone for motion alerts and the actually door bell ringing. So sometimes I would ignore the notification tone when I’m home because I’m thinking its just a car passing by.

I recently got a Ring doorbell and love it. However, my phone screen lighting up every 5-10 minutes when motion is detected (my Ring faces my street) is SO ANNOYING. I did change my motion settings so I’d get less notifications from cars but wasn’t happy with what was being captured, so I had to change it back. My phone lighting up all day long on my desk is distracting and annoying. None of my other apps wake my screen, but this one does every time. I am tempted to turn off notifications, but that defeats the purpose…

Samsung Galaxy S9, Android 9.

Ring, PLEASE FIX THIS!!!

@karaj wrote:

I am tempted to turn off notifications, but that defeats the purpose…

No to worry, but turning off notifications won’t fix the problem. Your screen will still wake up every time motion is detected, but no actual notification will pop up. That’s perhaps the most annoying part of all of this. Even with notifications disabled, as long as the app is installed my screen kept waking up when the camera detected motion (Android 10, Pixel2).

So far, the Rapid Ring app doesn’t have this problem. So, I have that one installed only. When I need to manage the Ring doorbell, I temporarily install the Ring app and then uninstall it when I’m done.

It’s fixed everybody. Version 3.22.1 has solved the waking screen issue. My pixel 3a and my wife’s pixel 3 no longer have this issue. If your uninstalling the rapid ring app. Don’t forget to turn notifications back on for your camera in the main ring app.

Thanks ring team for fixing this:)

1 Like

Lol was just about to post on here but you beat me to it. Finally this bug has been squashed after 4 months. Confirmed working on my Oneplus 7 Pro running android 10.

Next up: DARKMODE!

It’s fixed on my s9+with Oreo 8.0.0. We’ll see how long it lasts.

Confirmed. It’s now working as it should be on Huawei Mate 10/20 devices with Android 9/10. I’ve now gotten rid of Rapid Ring. Hope it stays that way!

This is awesome, I’ve just installed rapid ring and blocked notifications from the original ring app. I hope my problems are solved, thank you kind sir!

@Jay6 wrote:
This is awesome, I’ve just installed rapid ring and blocked notifications from the original ring app. I hope my problems are solved, thank you kind sir!

You shouldn’t need to use the rapid app anymore. Ring pushed out an update like a week ago that fixed the issues for many others including me. Maybe you should uninstall and reinstall the original ring app again and see if the issue is resolved for you as well.

That’s awsome… Ring builds another app that does the same thing, except calls it “rapid ring”. Why not just fix the main app??

I am still using v3.19.2. Anything after that introduced a lot of bugs, cameras that won’t load, or even the really stupid 3+ clicks to delete a single video. Why would you bury the trashcan icon within a 3 dot menu launcher when it worked great on the main video control screen? Who is leading UX design that thought 3-4 clicks to delete each video was a good idea? I loaded up the most recent Android version last week just to see if anything had changed and it hadn’t. After I got it install my doorbell camera wouldn’t stop alerting for motion and it was in containt loop. When i tried to view a recorded video the screen would just jitter rapidly and the phone vibrates (I have a video of it).

Is anyone actually looking at these releases on Android before they are put out? I don’t seem to have any issues on the iOS app with my other phone, so let’s have the Android dev team start paying attention to what is being released please. Quality control would go a long way. Back to v3.19.2…

Looks like no updates on this issue and still killing the battery. Thanks Ring!

I’m having this issue too. Is anything being done about this? @Marley_Ring @Chelsea_Ring