Bug Report: Ring App turns on screen on Android 9, regardless of notification settings

Great news everyone, I found a decent alternate solution to the problem while we wait for Ring to acknowledge and fix the programming problem in the Ring app.

I recently installed the Rapid Ring app and notifications behave properly in this app. Plus, it’s faster to load to the live screen, which is what I usually care about when there’s a notification I’m not expecting. The only downside is that Rapid Ring doesn’t allow you to snooze directly from the notification, so it takes several extra steps to snooze a camera that you’re expecting a bunch of false notifications on (e.g. construction next door).

I hope that Ring does eventually take a closer look at how they’ve programmed notifications in the core app. I suspect the programmers have selected the wrong notification priority or type and that’s why it always wakes our screen. That or they’re telling the screen to wake as an additional action along with the notification. Either way, this app is behaving poorly by not following Android programming standards.

2 Likes