Are Scheduling Recordings Possible?

Is there a way to schedule recordings? I know I can schedule motion alerts, but that doesn’t stop the camera from recording motion— it only stops the alert on your phone. Is there a way to actually stop the camera from recording during certain hours? To save battery, I only want the camera to record motion at night, but I don’t want to have to manually turn the motion capture on/off in the app every day. Is this possible?

8 Likes

Hey @JaySL1818. While there is not a way to put it on a schedule, have you tried out our new Modes feature? Putting your camera in a certain Mode can help disable the motion recording. You can “Disarm” your cameras in the day, and then arm them in Home/Away when you are sleeping at night or away at work.

1 Like

I also wish I was able to turn recording on and off with a schedule that can easily be overridden easily. It is easy to change from home and away with the current app but i have to remember to do it, I forget about 25% of the time. Other cameras I have used prior to switching to Ring have that ability and I used it on some cameras often. Just turning off alerts is a nice feature but in a busy yard I still receive a lot of battery killing recordings.

6 Likes

We have poor WiFi and with my son playing Fortnite in our office unit outside, whenever someone goes outside he experiences what he calls ‘Dad Lag’ as the camera kicks in and hogs bandwidth meaning he gets kicked out during gameplay. It would be great to be able to schedule recording as you can with motion detection. Come on Ring, these are expensive pieces of kit surely you can add this feature to make the system even more flexible. …?

1 Like

You’d be better off just setting your router to prioritize your son’s device in it’s settings. This way whenever he’s on his game won’t be affected by anything else. I’m sure he’d be very happy for it. Your internet provider should be able to help you set it up or you could just Google your router make and model.

2 Likes

Scheduled recording times is a huge gap in my opinion. I work from home, I don’t need recordings while I’m downstairs. What I need is automatic recordings based on a schedule. I don’t need to remember yet one more thing (setting away mode) before going to bed when all of this is cloud and computer driven and those systems clearly know time of day.

7 Likes

I agree. It would be great to have scheduled recordings. Is this something that is being considered by from the Ring developers? Can someone from Ring confirm please? If its not being considered how do I raise an official change request? Thanks in advance.

9 Likes

Hey neighbors! We have no information to share on this but recommend keeping an eye on the News and Announcements board, as this is where we’ll post about new product and feature releases. As we value our neighbors’ feedback, we’ve created a Feature Request board. Feel free to add this and any future feature requests there. This will help us to organize and share your requests with our teams here, as well as allow other neighbors to comment and add interest, all in one place. Feel free to link that post you make in the Feature Request board here so other neighbors that come to this thread can easily find your feature! :slight_smile:

In response to: Eagle 328

I have done that… prioritising his xbox over everything else on the mesh network that i have… Makes no difference… As soon as the camera activates… ‘Dad lag’ kicks in… (Even though the cameras are not prioritised devices on the network but they still seem to be sapping a lot of the available bandwidth)

I agree. If you could schedule recording times on certain cameras that would be great. My front camera is on all the time but my garden camera I would like to schedule because it activates all the time when the kids are playing. I also forget to select the mode to disable the rear camera. There is more and more home working and kids learning from home so it’s become more of a requirement as you’re home in the day. I would suggest a 7 day programme as the schedule would differ from week days to weekends and day time to night time.

2 Likes

Amen. This is ridiculous you don’t have this. Please respond to your customers.

2 Likes

I would like to add to that thought.
In our area vandalism and theft occur between the hours of 1am and 3 am. It would be a great feature to allow recording of everything during those hours, overriding the normal zones and motion settings. I would still like the motion highlighted in red so they are easier to locate. When having repeat offenses you don’t want to risk having the camera time out after 60 seconds of little motion and in the middle of the night we get little or no traffic so I would like to know if someone is driving bye the front of our house or stopping their car in front of our house…something we do not capture during the day because the camera would be recording all day traffic.

1 Like

Hopefully being able to schedule this is coming in an update. I have one camera I want on all the time and another that I only want on when at work. I recently switched from Blink and my Blink had this option.

1 Like

Just purchased the ring doorbell 4 and i thought scheduled recordings was an option , but now finding its only scheduled alerts , now im stuck with an expensive piece of kit that will kill a battery every 6 months due to me living on a busy path

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.