App constant Log out and 2 step verification

I recently purchased Ring Doorbell for my 78 yr old Father, he is not a tech wizard but he can get by and does quite well with his Smartphone, However, this Ring App is frustrating the living daylights out of both him and Myself.
The App continues to log him out almost daily, nobody seems to be able to find a solution for this at all but the issue is then doubled because of 2 step verification. It confuses him immensely.
He attempts to log in with username and password but then it sends him the verification code via email, he then needs to go to his email app or text app to receive the code, once he does this he then returns to the Ring App that has then promptly logged him out again and has to go thru the whole process again, so around and around he goes, remember, he is 78. He then gives up which renders the purpose of him having a security device pointless! The App logging him out constantly is frustrating enough but surely just letting him type username and password to log back in would alleviate this frustration?? Why can we not have the choice of 2 Step on or off?? His Doorbell is logged off for days until I can visit him again and lig him back in but then only for it to log him back out the following day. I have a ring doorbell myself too which i do find great but oh boy does the App let it down. We’re going to have to try and find my Father a better system than this I think.

1 Like

Hey @Carl-M. Happy to help out here further if you’d like, as this is not the experience we want our neighbors to have. The Ring app, once logged in, should keep you logged in if you’re not logging out yourself, uninstalling the app, or clearing the saved log-ins in the Control Center. What kind of phone does your father have, and do you know what version of OS the phone is running, as well as the version of the Ring app he has? It’s possible the app or OS version is not up to date and this is why the app keeps logging itself out. You can try removing the app, rebooting his phone and then reinstalling the app to see if that helps keep him logged in! Please ensure he is not logging out of the app manually.

I have the same problem. I get logged out even though I logged in via the app. I never manually log out. The 2-step verification should be an option and not a requirement. I rarely get someone coming to my door, but the few times that I do, it is impossible to interact Live because they are gone before I can log in.

4 Likes

Hi there, @Amjohns. The Ring app should remain logged in and not require verification on every visit, as long as you are not inactive on the app for 30 days. If you are active in the Ring app daily, weekly, or several times a month, the app should remain logged in on your mobile device. Please ensure you are not logging out after each visit, or that there is not another mobile device with owner access that might be clearing the authorized devices. Otherwise, this should not happen. I recommend removing and reinstalling the Ring app on your mobile device, logging in, and ensuring there is not a vpn enabled on the mobile device. The Ring app should remain logged in after your initial verification. If this concern persists, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

Had this Ring device for some years now, used to be good but now logs out all the time. Two fact auth is a total waste of time and energy and why? I’ve the latest iPhone with latest update so this not an issue. The Ring doorbell/app has become a absolute pain and totally unuseable. The first chance I get it’s off the door and under a sledgehammer!

1 Like

I am so upset with the 2 step login! It is driving me insane, it should be a choice not mandatory.

I use my app multiple times a day as I work away and I need to check on my pets, my son and our mail packages, it can log me out 5 minutes after checking, I cannot get it to stay logged in. It did for the first 2 years and now bam it is changed and it does not notify me of anything and I am almost to the point of looking at a new system I have 5 spotlights and 1 doorbell currently, but they are no good to me if the app logs out.

2 Likes

Hi @Kres82. Thank you for your feedback, @neighbor. At Ring we value your security and your safety. While 2SV cannot be turned off, you can pick between text message or email verification codes, whichever is easier for you. In addition, we allow for a Remember Me option from the browser when using Ring.com, and if you are logged into your Ring app on your phone and open the app at least once every 30 days, it should keep you logged in. Check out our Community post about account security for more information. As we always value our neighbors’ feedback, I will ensure that this experience and your feedback is passed onto the appropriate teams here. Thank you, neighbor!

I have the same problem. My Ring Android app stays logged in for a few days to a week max and then after I can’t access my cameras until I sign out and sign back in. It’s pretty annoying and it’s weird that Ring doesn’t seem to care to address this issue. I regret purchasing my Ring doorbell and Ring floodlight cameras.

1 Like

This is happening to me all the time. It’s very frustrating, people are comoming up and taking thing and I have no clue because the app keeps loggong me out. I am not realizing it for hours until I go check the app., then the two step verification on my own phone is silly.
How do I fix this. Or do I just need to find a better solution?

Same here. The software has become completely unusable. And all these “neighbor” platitudes are a total waste.

My stupid video doorbell is not worthy of pentagon level security. If I have to spend 5 minutes logging in each time someone rings my bell, then Ring becomes completely useless.

And trying to coach our elderly parents and in laws through this maze of authentication is an incredible hassle. Not worth it.

Sincerely
Ring user since the beginning. Now looking for alternatives.

2 Likes

Hi, I have the same issue.
After 2 days the app is logged out and I no longer get notifications about activity at my door until I log back in. I am running on Android version 11 on Pixel 4a. This has happened to me since I became a user around December time frame.

I have the same issue. Logs out my android at least once a day

Dear Ring, your APP and HARDWARE are so useless that I cannot begin to describe. I DON’T WANT YOUR 2FA, DON’T WANT YOU LOGGING ME OUT WITHOUT WARNINGS, I WANT TOTAL CONTROL OF APP AND HW BEHAVIOUR THROUGH OPTIONS. I PAID FOR IT, I WANT TO DECIDE IF I WANT 2FA AND LOGOUT TIMER TURNED OFF. I DON’T AND NEVER WILL HAVE ANY OF YOUR STUPID CAMERAS OR ANY OTHER HARDWARE, JUST THE FREAKIN’ DOORBELL. PLEASE ADAPT YOUR SECURITY LEVEL, PLEASE STOP CARING SO MUCH ABOUT ME AND MY SECURITY. I MISSED SO MANY PARCELS ALREADY. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

This is one of the worst products I’ve ever used. My landlord installed Ring two years ago and it has been nothing but trouble. Reasons:

1. I’m on the third floor so the doorbell doesn’t connect to my wifi. I can’t use any of the video/sound features because I’m too far away.

2. I am CONSTANTLY logged out of the app without notice. I’m not sure if its on Ring’s side or something Apple is doing, but I will notice that I haven’t received notifications in a few days and then realize the app is logged out and not installed.

3. There are no notifications to tell me that the battery is dying.

I’m not using this doorbell to monitor crime in my neighborhood. I just want to know when I’m getting my mail. I have missed so many packages due to this overly complicated doorbell.

1 Like

Hi @classicdoorbellfan. If your Ring Doorbell is a great distance from the router, it will have a harder time maintaining a reliable connection. You can read more about how to make wifi work for you in our Help Center Article here, which may have some helpful tips and suggestions. As for the Ring App being uninstalled and logging you out, this sounds like something on Apple’s end. I believe there’s a setting where apps that are less frequently used will be offloaded, and will need to be reinstalled when you want to use them again. I found some information on that setting in this article here, so you may have the option to disable this setting to prevent apps from being offloaded. I hope this information is helpful for you! :slight_smile:

Did we ever get a helpful reply to this question? What was a brilliant product has been rendered almost useless by some tech wizard deciding we should get logged out if we don’t use the app within 30 days. We have two iPads and I iPhones, and having to log back in monthly, with that hateful and totally useless 2FA, is driving me to look for alternatives.

Come on Ring. Listen to your customers!

This is MY doorbell, MY home, and its security is MY business. This 2FA, like most of it, is just for your CYA, and not for our benefit. I’m actively shopping for a replacement.

1 Like

Well, just wasted 20 min of my life once again chatting to Ring ‘technical support’. It seems that Ring doesn’t care that it’s customers are deeply frustrated by the constant log out and hateful 2 step authentication.

Has anyone found a decent alternative to Ring? It is a crying shame, as it was once a brilliant product, nor rendered useless by mad software.

1 Like

Why, why, why? I keep having to log back in. and my entire family, which is impossible. It’s very important to have this app work on my phone since it’s for security. Now i have to remind myself to open it within 30 days. Why?

1 Like

Hey neighbors. If you are having an issue with your Ring app logging you out, theres a few things you need to check. First, make sure that the OS of the phone you are using is up to date, as well as making sure that the Ring app is up to date. For Android users, make sure that you don’t have any apps installed that could be conflicting with the Ring app, such as the apps listed here. Also, make sure that you are not actively running a VPN when logging into the Ring app, as this can also be problematic. If you’ve checked those items and are still having his concern, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

1 Like