cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android app won't "rotate"

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Android app won't "rotate"

I am surprised that the current Android app always displays in "Portrait" mode.  It does not "rotate" to "landscape" mode like most other Android apps and the Android home screen, etc.

Has it always had this limitiation, or is it some recent regression?  I tried two different Android devices (phone and tablet) using two different Ring accounts, and some variations such as starting app when already rotated (vs rotating after app was already started).

9 REPLIES 9
Community Manager

Re: Android app won't "rotate"

Hey @DougHo! Screen rotation will work during live videos, recorded video playback, and timeline video viewing. Otherwise, you are correct, the App will remain in portrait mode by design. 

Like my answer? Accept it as a solution (click on the 'Accepted Solution' button next to reply). Learn more about the Community, here.
New Neighbor

In 2019...this is terrible

many customers use a tablet as a smart home central in landscape format

I hope for an update
New Neighbor

Thanks for your answer.   By design it should rotate to the customers screen orientation though! Smiley Happy

New Neighbor

nope

only in live video

New Neighbor

This is horrible.

We want to have android smart displays through out a smart home and would like to use Ring cameras.  This is a deal killer.  Why in the world would anyone design an app like this?!?!

New Neighbor III

I use an app called Rotation Control by CrapeMrytle. This solves my issues with using a tablet in landscape mode with apps that don't follow the tablet. It locks it in landscape and forces the app to stay in landscape.
New Neighbor

I had a chance to try the Ring app on Apple IPad and it works in landscape mode just fine as soon as it opens. Then it rotates accordingly. So why is this feature on iOS only and not Android?
Community Manager

Hi Neighbors -- what app version is this happening on?

Got a question? The Community is full of answers! Use our Search bar at the top for quick results.
New Neighbor

Version 3.20.0