406 Not Acceptable

And this is exactly why I could not connect to my ring cameras via WiFi. Absolutely nothing to do with my internal WiFi and absolutely nothing to do with my cable modem and absolutely nothing to do with Comcast. This issue has been happening to me randomly for the past couple months. Everything has been working for the last two weeks. It is currently not working and I randomly tried logging into ring.com and got the 406 error. Now it makes sense. All we need now is for Ring to get their act together!!!

2 Likes

Did anyone at Ring ever figure this out or do we just muddle along with our apps working one day and not working then next???

2 Likes

Sorry to hear about this, neighbors! If you are receiving a 406 error, try refreshing your connection and allow the ring server some time to process the request. As multiple requests to a website domain can create this error, sometimes this can be fixed by waiting 24 hours.

If this concern persists, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

Yesterday morning I removed battery to charge it, battery level was 50%.
Around 19:00 I put the battery back in.
Couple of hours later, I wanted to check to make sure it’s working properly.
The 406 problem started happening.
The 406 error is coming from web server, this morning I called customer service and escalated to web server support, they gathered some information.
Hopefully this issue will be resolved soon.

1 Like

@Borat wrote:
Yesterday morning I removed battery to charge it, battery level was 50%.
Around 19:00 I put the battery back in.
Couple of hours later, I wanted to check to make sure it’s working properly.
The 406 problem started happening.
The 406 error is coming from web server, this morning I called customer service and escalated to web server support, they gathered some information.
Hopefully this issue will be resolved soon.

This issue appears to be fixed for me.

1 Like

I have this same problem, all the same answers too - except my provider is different.

@Chelsea_Ring - please help!!

Hi @lovinairdrie. Chiming in for Chelsea here. If you’ve tried the suggested steps in this thread and you are still having this issue, it would be best for you to reach out to our support team to further investigate this for you. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

I am having this same exact issue as we speak. I have Spectrum and my IP seems to be blocked by Ring. I cannot connect to anything Ring related, apps or the website.

I CAN connect using a VPN(which is what I’m doing now to post this) but not my normal IP address. This type of thing should NOT be happening with a security device. Based on a now 3 pages, it happens way too often.

What if I really needed to see what is going on and didn’t happen to have a VPN available? I’d be in trouble. Fix it please.

1 Like

I’m getting the same error. It’s been happening for the past two weeks. Very frustrating that I am not able to use the app to answer the door in these trying times!!!

Hello,

I keep getting this error and it’s locking me out of my devices. How do I go about fixing this ?

Hi neighbors! The best first step will be to ensure you do not have a VPN turned on when you are trying to access Ring.com. Clearing your cache and cookies may help, or even trying another browser or device entirely.

If this concern persists, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

Hi there. I am getting the exact same problem. I do not use a VPN so that cannot be the issue. When I disconnect from wifi and use 4G I can log in to app. Using wifi does not allow me connect on any device tried - laptop, iPhone.

We’ve been having this issue for maybe a week now.
Wi-Fi web browser (phone or computer) to ring.com and try to log in I get 406 not acceptable immediately
Wi-Fi open either app (rapid ring or ring) get “unknown error” and streaming errors

LTE web browser ring.com login works fine
LTE apps work fine

What is the fix? Just got off phone support and they said contact ISP and that Ring doesn’t have tools to unblock the IP… I work as a system’s administrator lol I know this is not true

We also have spectrum internet

2 Likes

I just got the 406 error when I went to turn out a light. Switching from LTE to wifi allowed me to refresh my session cookies and everything magically worked again on LTE. I understand why your session cookies are so strict. You’re fighting scripts. Breaking the app though to fight scripts is incredibly dumb. Honestly it makes me want to return this equipment. What’s the point of having a smart house if you can’t log in and check it on your phone? Altogether I’ve spent a grand on this. And you block me? WTF

1 Like

And I thought I was the only one. Bought a floodlight cam, spotlight cam, and chime pro. Everything worked fine for about two weeks and now Ring is blocking me too. Really wondering why I would pay them for storage when I can’t access anything over WiFi. Level 1 CS is completely unhelpful. This is totally on Ring’s end, not mine.

1 Like

This is insane. I have the same problem and I’m struggling to get anyone to fix it for me. My IP is clearly blocked as I can log into Ring.com from my browser and app when on neighboring wifi, cellular, or if I use a VPN. I forced my router to get a new public IP from Comcast in which this worked for only moments. Now the other IP address is blocked too!

How can we get quick resolution of this? I provided another community article to Ring support when I called detailing this same problem. They sent me and article about all the ports that need open for Ring devices to work. That’s not my problem! My Ring camera is working fine. I can not log into the website from my home Internet!

1 Like

I am having the same exact issue. I’ve disconnected all my Ring devices from power since disabling my VPN for work is not an option. I am still blocked from accessing the Login page on Ring.com. This blacklisting of my IP by Ring seems to have extended to Playstation Network. How in the hell do you expect the average person to figure this out? Ring needs to lift this blacklisting of my IP immediately. It’s been a month of this and I actually changed ISP’s because I thought it was their fault at first! Now it’s obvious that Ring has been flagging my IP for using a VPN that I need for work!!! What a horrifyingly bad policy you’ve implemented.

Has anyone here found a resolution? If so please share.

Just wanted to follow up so other people are aware of this. I found out that connecting to my work VPN is causing this problem somehow. I do Networking/IT for a living and my team is baffled by this. This not only affects getting to the Ring login/signup page, but it also affects Playstation and Venmo logins. See the following Reddit thread. This started happening as soon as we implemented OneLogin for 2FA with our Palo GlobalProtect VPN client. There is a “fix” in this thread that your IT team will need to implement.

Anyone getting a 406 error is not being blocked or blacklisted by Ring. All HTTP 4xx errors are considered client side errors. This does eliminate the possibility that changing a Ring server setting may correct the error but you are not being blocked or blacklisted and it us unlikely Ring can do anything to correct it.

A 406 error indicates the server returned a response but the client rejected it. You are getting to the Ring server. It is processing the request and returning a response. Your local client, or possibly a VPN server or your ISP’s servers, is rejecting the response from Ring.

Common causes are the client expecting a specific language or content type returned and the server returning something that is not expected. This could be as simple as the client expecting English but because of the location or configuration of the VPN server or the ISP server relaying the request, Ring is returning another language and your client, or one of the servers between you and Ring, is rejecting it.

406 errors are difficult to resolve because the end user’s client is not directly connected to the host server and the error can be coming from the end user’s client or any of the servers between the end user and the host.

I doubt Ring would be able to determine why and correct it. It is most likely not an issue on their end.

Thanks for this great explanation, @jimyouse!

For any neighbors who have tried the above, and would still like our support team to take a closer look for you, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. :slight_smile: