Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

406 Not Acceptable

Highlighted
New Neighbor

406 Not Acceptable

Hi Team,

I’m getting 406 Not Acceptable all of a sudden when visiting the ring site. Seems like I’m blacked.

Can someone at Ring confirm?

On cellular my connection is fine.

Alan
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: 406 Not Acceptable

Hey @Aseb. Please ensure you do not have a VPN turned on when you are trying to access Ring.com. If you continue to have this concern, try clearing your cache and cookies and trying again. In the event you continue to get this error, please let me know what link you go to that does this, or what you do to on the site to cause this error. In addition, a screenshot of this error message and details on what computer/browser you are accessing this on will help! Smiley Happy 

Like my answer? Accept it as a solution (click on the 'Accepted Solution' button next to reply). Learn more about the Community, here.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

I'm also getting this same error via the API: 

Request to https://app.ring.com/rhq/v1/devices/v1/locations failed with status 406.

when I try to authenticate to ring.com to view my camera via the website I get an error stating "Invalid email or password." That's a misleading error, but I suspect it's generated for the same reason as the status 406 error. 

I know that my email and password aren't invalid, because when I try to authenticate via a different computer that's connected to my work VPN - and therefore using a different source ip address - I am able to autheniticate just fine and view my cameras via the website. 

The process I use to access via the API was stuck in a restart loop this morning, so my suspicion is that the restart loop called the ring API too many times in a short period and my IP address has been blacklisted from logging in.

What I'm not able to determine is how long that blacklist will last, or even whether this theory is accurate about being blacklisted. It would be useful if someone here was able to confirm whether this is the case. 

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi @jimcovert! The best next steps is to continue to test while the VPN is disabled or not a factor. Please also try another browser. If your mobile app is able to login and the browser is not, its always good to check for any additional security settings/ apps, or even connection concerns that might prevent the browser from completing this request. 

If this concern persists, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. I hope this helps! Smiley Happy 

Like my answer? Accept it as a solution (click on the 'Accepted Solution' button next to reply). Learn more about the Community, here.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

I was able to sign in after I waiting for the lockout/blacklist period to end. I think it was around 24 hours.
Highlighted
Community Manager

Thanks @jimcovert - we'll get this over to the team to take a further look into for you! 

Got a question? The Community is full of answers! Use our Search bar at the top for quick results.