Will ring alarm activate floodlight alarm?

FYI i have synced my Ring floodlight siren to the alarm now but through a non ring system to make them sync up. It is possible but not natively with Ring

1 Like

Please can you advise how you’ve done this? It would be a great help for others

1 Like

I posted about this years ago, bought the system assuming the siren advertised on the camera would obviously be synced to the alarm, Jennifer it was you yourself who just disregarded my post in typical ring fashion.

The many limitations and lack of listening to customer feedback (made apparent by the most active threads on this website) have led me to switch my cameras to nest iq and doorbell, and I have never been happier. Ring alarm is on thin ice, I tried the nest alarm and the only reason I’m keeping ring for now is it is louder

I totally agree. Ring (Amazon) is on very very thin ice here. If you see what the competition is doing with 24/7 recording, smart notifcations, easy API integrations with e.g. Home Assistant or Domoticz, facial recognition… And that for only $100 a year for an unlimited amount of camera’s. I made my move to Ring a couple of years ago, and I still love the design, and the ease of setup for most of the products, but I can’t believe that Amazon is that stubborn to at least listen to their customers and add some native integrations. It’s disturbing to say at least. In the end, I do think Amazon has better cards up their sleeve, but they need to play some hands anytime soon before another market was won by Google. Again.

For those who ask; if you want to connect the camera’s and the alarm. Do some research and have a look at Home Assistant and the Ring MQTT integration. It’s no easy peasy. But if you want more control over your home automation, this is a good way to start.

I think the messages on this thread are clear. I will add what i think consolidates this:

• A lot of people want to use modern alarm systems like Ring. They are pretty awesome.

• The current professional and domestic alarm companies provide this feature (external sirens), but let’s be honest, their smart features are clunky at best. I’ve done my research and have one of the (if not the best) uk alarm system, and they suck, hands-down, at investing and integrating into a modern ecosystem.

• Typical home alarm systems do not cater for modern (easy to use) users. I don’t want to have to pay 1000 for a contractor to come and install an alarm and configure an obscure configuration which i cannot change or turn the alarm off at 3am. (I know some of you have been there!).

• Traditional alarm companies don’t have the investment to develop and listen to their customer base. They have good employees who would love to, but they’ve missed the bandwagon and need to invest or die out slowly.

• I will give a plus to some traditional companies for trying to modernise, but you guys aren’t doing enough… in development, marketing and most importantly security and reliability. I mean if not that then what?

• Ring isn’t on thin ice, they are on thick ice. They are modern, integrate with modern devices and actually have a roadmap they communicate (well maybe not… but should) accurately.

• Ring is, i believe, backed by the world golden standard for infrastructure, AWS. Ermm, your local alarm company is using mostly their own ISP, cool. Maybe they use public cloud and can diversify more, but do they? I doubt it.

• Am i a ring fanboy? Yes and No, not really right now (I have 3 devices and would like more but…), they need to communicate their roadmap better and provide insight. Honestly, customers want to be excited by developments coming. They want to know their products will be updated soon and will still buy them even if they aren’t available yet. I would suggest just opening their roadmap with their ideas, a bit like kickstarter, people invest in that! Marketing needs to embrace this and not hide behind a possibility it might not happen. Zzz.

• Ring devices should link together in an alarm situation. I completely agree with this. No need for an external siren if your multiple floodlights turn on and alarm. Easy to solve i reckon and is probably already saved in their roadmap to sell more. They shouldn’t do this, but… they will. A bit like Apple. Buy next, buy next…

• What competition, i reckon check the competitions margins vs Ring.

• And finally, you shouldn’t have to use external automation to provide the features you need. If you do, then you should be able to read a roadmap and wait, or move away from ring to somebody who gives you the features you need.

Ill keep buying this product as long as it gives me the features i need :slight_smile:

TheDon81

Well, it was all about market positioning in the end… So probably that’s why they stopped developing their product and product propositions. They just don’t care about the tech behind it. Opening up their roadmap anytime soon is probably the only way for Ring to keep me as their customer.

I’d like to add my vote for this feature. I thought this would be a no brainer and one of the reasons I purchased my two spotlight cams. Thanks!

3 Likes

Come on ring. It has been over a year since the community managers first replied to this post acknowledging that your customers want this functionality.
I understand that it may not be possible in all regions due to legal restrictions but that shouldn’t stop you offering it where that isn’t a consideration.
It is taking an unacceptable amount of time to launch this relatively simple feature.

2 Likes

Thats crazy! What is the point of the alarm in the flood light and spot light cams?

1 Like

Another upvote for this. This is a base, foundational, common sense feature. What’s the point in having alarms on the cameras if you can’t link them to the alarm?

2 Likes

thats great - how have you managed to do this?

@bigj_309 can you please share how you managed to link the floodlight and the alarm?

Any updates? Just bought my floodlight thinking this would be integrated and am disappointed reading this message, that too more than a year old. Doesn’t sound like Ring is interested in doing this integration.

1 Like

You are NOT alone in wanting this feature. There are also many similar posts in other Ring forums, but now Ring Teams look for request here in the “Feature Board Request” forum, and so I did not include those other too numerous links. I just linked only “Feature Board Requests.” The Ring Teams notice the requests with a large number of “Thumbs-up” votes. This and variations of this idea are already on the Feature Request Board. Make your voice be heard and add your “Thumbs-up” vote to these links by clicking on the Thumbs-up Icon that is on the left side of the author’s initial beginning post (I’ve probably missed a few similar links) :

Submitted by WesleyAldred :

https://community.ring.com/t5/Feature-Request-Board/Ring-Alarm-Activation-sets-off-Ring-Cam-Siren/id…

Submitted by DrTej :

https://community.ring.com/t5/Feature-Request-Board/Activate-Siren-on-all-Camera-s-and-Alarm/idi-p/2…

Submitted by DanHolloway :

https://community.ring.com/t5/Feature-Request-Board/Ring-Alarm-link-sirens/idi-p/56814

Submitted by MikeP :

https://community.ring.com/t5/Feature-Request-Board/Alarm-Base-Station-should-sync-with-Floodlight-c…

Submitted by Leslew :

https://community.ring.com/t5/Feature-Request-Board/Ring-alarm-siren/idi-p/49072

Submitted by PaddyMc :

https://community.ring.com/t5/Feature-Request-Board/Alarm-Siren-linked-devices-to-ring-chimes/idi-p/…

Submitted by Rand :

https://community.ring.com/t5/Feature-Request-Board/Allow-us-to-Utilize-Our-Flood-Sirens-during-Alar…

UNITE and Thumbs-up VOTE! Get Ring Team’s Attention!

6 Likes

I managed to get this working after trying fir a few days and have posted my solution on the SmartThings community pages.

It would be better if there was native integration within Ring so that there would be no need for 3rd party products to handle integration within the Ring suite of products…

1 Like

Ah, I now see that it appears all the above links that I posted above, have been ’ merged’ into a single-giant Feature Request by the Ring Moderators. Thank you Ring Moderators for making it easier to give our “Thumbs Up” Kudo votes for those authors whom requested this on the Feature Request Board. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: I do like the ‘single-stop-shopping’ placement merging, Cool Cool :slight_smile: Kudos to you Ring Moderators too! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ring’s response is to have someone with the app be a security gaurd and when issues are detected, you can manually activate the siren from the app… problem solved…

Just finished installing my spotlight cam and I’m disappointed to find this year old thread.

Please ring develop this feature as it seems like common sense functionality missing from your products that are disappointing many customers.

I have also voted for the feature to be developed.

4 Likes

I’m surprised by this as I don’t think it’s been by coincidence that all conventional alarms to date have outside sirens which draw the attention of neighbours and passers by. The base station siren is loud but not nearly enough to alert anyone further than several feet from the house in my opinion. Being alerted to a break in whilst away and knowing it’s unlikely for the police to attend in any reasonable time (if at all) one really hopes on a neighbour intervention.
If Ring think integrating the cam sirens and base station sirens is in the short term problematic may I suggest a stand alone outdoor siren to add to the system. I suspect they would fly of the shelves as now I know I can’t use the cam sirens. Such a product would be my next purchase.

1 Like

Ring has listened to all the Kudo votes on the numerous “Feature Request” board and the camera sirens can also now be linked to the Alarm Base Station siren! So now when the Base Station siren goes off, the Ring cameras (that have siren feature) can also sound off with their siren!

So, I immediately went to my Ring App to link mine also! But, I was briefly disappointed when I tried to do it because I did not initially see any change in the App. It initially appeared to still only make the cameras record when the alarm sounded . . . until I looked more closely. So, yes, the camera sirens CAN be linked now by:

• Menu > Devices > Alarm Base Station > Base Station > Linked Devices > Alarm Sounding >

After selecting “Alarm Sounding”, this is where I was briefly disappointed because I thought it was still just to select the cameras to only record. Then I noticed the “Explanation-Point” Icon, just right of the “Camera” Icon. Now I understood that by selecting this “Explanation-Point” Icon, it links the camera’s siren to the alarm too! So after selecting “Alarm Sounding” then:

• Select “Explanation-Point” Icon for the cameras you wish to sound off their siren with the Base Station > then “Save”.

Wonderful! Thank you Ring! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

2 Likes