Will ring alarm activate floodlight alarm?

This should be a feature that is implemented, that seems quite easy. As an electronics engineer and software developer myself I kind of see something as simple as this, especially when you have the API between the alarm and the camera devices already running since they’re allowed to pass recording and light commands.
A lot of the ring device interfunctionality limitations kind of start to seem like greed based business decisions to convince customers to buy the pre-existing single-purpose device, the ring alarm speaker in this example.

5 Likes

This is a feature I too was expecting.
The Ring alarm can activate recording and even turn the light on, yet for some reason Ring developers decided linking the siren was just way too difficult? Good thing they don’t work for NASA otherwise they would have declared that going to the moon is a good idea but will settle for taking a stroll down the street.

So why does a siren feature even exist on the floodlight? Presumably you’re supposed to respond to a motion alert and then manually activate the siren? If that’s the case, surely it will be quicker and simpler to respond to the alert and then just shout “beep beep beep wooo woooo!” down your phone?

So come on Ring, do the right thing please.
While you’re busy doing the right thing, please invent some remote fobs for your alarm system too. I expect that to be more difficult than the siren issue, but that’s never stopped your rivals from accomplishing the task.

7 Likes

I just bit the bullet and purchased Ring alarm. Genuinely I had assumed a external siren link would be available. It’s so disappointing to find this is not possible.

Ring this is a no brainier should not take such a push from the community. Just get it implemented!

6 Likes

I’m in the same boat. I’m a software engineer and for the life of me I can’t figure why this feature isn’t already implemented. There’s abviously no reason from a programmatic standpoint why this can’t be enabled. Please Ring, we spend hundreds to thousands on your equipment with the presumption of not only high quality equipment, but also customer service. So when a large customer base demands a feature, at least stipulate on its probability and not just say “Oh, thanks for the input. I’ll pass it along.” If something really isn’t possible, try extending the reasoning behind the decision to your customers so their not left assuming. Otherwise if it is possible, ENABLE THE FEATURE. We more than deserve this basic functionality.

5 Likes

I too am surprised and clearly disappointed that this isn’t integrated by default. And still, a year after this thread started and many people complained about this, there is no functionality that automatically activates the sirens on the camera’s when the alarm rings.

That said, luckaly for me I have everything configered via Home Assitant as well, so I created automations for it - and that works (with some delay), but still; I expected that this should be working by default when I bought the kit.

3 Likes

As another UK neighbour and happy ring customer was just about to purchase the ring alarm system , but have just cancelled as no floodlight siren to alarm integration. Please , Please push this obvious integration up the developers priority list - surely can’t be that hard :wink:

6 Likes

Another UK customer who needs this integration. Why on earth is it not working yet? Oh, and why is the additional indoor Ring Dome Siren unavailable in the UK? Beginning to regret me recommending the Ring Security system to others.

3 Likes

I too want to add that I totally assumed the cameras’ siren works with the alarm system. A siren sounds only by manual click is quite pointless. Ring, please listen to us and implement this integration.

3 Likes

I too would have thought that the brilliant product managers at Ring would see this feature as a high priority. I mean it makes a lot of sense. You have devices outside the house (back yard / front / drive way,…) with incredible siren capability that could raise awareness and deter the thives when a Ring security alarm is triggered (e.g. Alexa guard broken glass recognition, opening a door /window,…) . I think as ring users we should always keep in mind the false alarm would occur but at a very low rate. The low occurance outweights the benefits (theft deterrancce and minimizing lost / stolen valuable goods). I’d appreciate if the product managers revisited the roadmap priority list and move this feature up.

3 Likes

We assure you this information has been sent to the team. We will update this thread with any information. Thank you!

2 Likes

This just saved me from making a large purchase that included the home security system as well as outdoor cameras. I think now, I will just purchase the cameras.

1 Like

You all do know that most cities an external Security alarm in a private residence is not permitted by law. Just an FYI. They get around this by forcing you to trigger it manually as a deterrent rather than an automated alarm. If you want Ring to include such a feature you will need to work on changing the local ordinances across the country.

I’m fully aware, but thanks for mentioning!

Sorry iluvtec, but that is a little insular.

In the UK, EU and many, many countries around the world external sirens are permitted. Ring adjust their fumctionality in the UK where US features are not allowed / not supported, why could they not be flexible when territories outside the US permit functionality that some regions of the US don’t? I am assuming that you are US based :smiley: but whether you are or not your point is not valid worldwide!

2 Likes

I’m just getting to grips installing 3 floodlight cams and an alarm and are disappointed to find that there is no siren integration. My ring alarm is barely audible outside of the house as it stands.

A second for the external siren as well. I still have an old ADT box on the side of my house but would prefer it said Ring. I am based in the UK.

2 Likes

Hi there at Ring.

Do this situation has been fixed already ?

I am ready to buy 3 Floodlight Cams and this is a must.

Thanks

1 Like

FYI i have synced my Ring floodlight siren to the alarm now but through a non ring system to make them sync up. It is possible but not natively with Ring

1 Like

Please can you advise how you’ve done this? It would be a great help for others

1 Like

I posted about this years ago, bought the system assuming the siren advertised on the camera would obviously be synced to the alarm, Jennifer it was you yourself who just disregarded my post in typical ring fashion.

The many limitations and lack of listening to customer feedback (made apparent by the most active threads on this website) have led me to switch my cameras to nest iq and doorbell, and I have never been happier. Ring alarm is on thin ice, I tried the nest alarm and the only reason I’m keeping ring for now is it is louder

I totally agree. Ring (Amazon) is on very very thin ice here. If you see what the competition is doing with 24/7 recording, smart notifcations, easy API integrations with e.g. Home Assistant or Domoticz, facial recognition… And that for only $100 a year for an unlimited amount of camera’s. I made my move to Ring a couple of years ago, and I still love the design, and the ease of setup for most of the products, but I can’t believe that Amazon is that stubborn to at least listen to their customers and add some native integrations. It’s disturbing to say at least. In the end, I do think Amazon has better cards up their sleeve, but they need to play some hands anytime soon before another market was won by Google. Again.

For those who ask; if you want to connect the camera’s and the alarm. Do some research and have a look at Home Assistant and the Ring MQTT integration. It’s no easy peasy. But if you want more control over your home automation, this is a good way to start.