Will ring alarm activate floodlight alarm?

I have just purchased both Ring Alarm and Ring Floodlight. Whilst I understood at time of purchasing that the sirens were not linked, I do think this is a massive ‘feature’ in terms of the security of would provide not only to your own home and belongings but also that of others.

I wonder how effective the Base Siren would be in waking neighbours etc in the event your house was broken in to whilst you were away - especially in larger or detached houses.

Ultimately that is the point of alarms, wake the street up so the bad guys have no chance of escaping unseen.

Linking the Floodlight Siren and Alarm Siren for activations seems too good of a “feature” to add in terms of increasing value for money, but also increasing sales for both products knowing they would be integrated fully.

13 Likes

I have just bought the ring floodlight and am thinking of buying the home alarm system too . It would make perfect sense to be connected to the siren on the floodlight cam if your home alarm is triggered. I would definitely purchase the alarm system if this was the case however I’m looking at alternatives if this is not planned by ring ?

3 Likes

A great idea !

2 Likes

To me it’s a no brainer .

2 Likes

I too thought this would be present by default. You can tell the cameras to record or turn on their lights, but cannot sound their siren. Really strange. I struggle to understand the downsides. Ring already have a alarm speaker accessory that does that, but there are no stock for a while. I wonder if there is a vulnerability in the wireless protocol, where someone can send a fake “sound the alarm” signal to the cameras. A record or turn in the light rogue signal would not cause any issues, but rogue sound the siren would be disturbing.

1 Like

I too am super disappointed with the lack of integration between Ring Alarm and Ring Camera Siren. The “siren” in the base station cannot be heard outside my home. What good is an alarm that no one can hear?!

8 Likes

I have been researching cctv and alarm systems for a complete uograde on our home security.
Reviews pushed me towards Ring, but having discovered Ring has no external sounder, and the Ring floodlight CCTV siren doesnt integrate with alarm, I will not be progressing to a purchase.

I, like many others, think Ring are missing a key feature from their products.

5 Likes

Agree with this requirement. I’ve just purchased a Ring Alarm system which has only recently become available in the UK. Really disappointing that I can’t get the Ring Alarm to trigger my external sirens on Ring Floodlight and Spotlight cameras I already have installed. Having an internal alarm only on the base station is not very sensible when it can’t be heard outside the property. All traditional alarm systems have external sirens by default, so that it warns neighbours and people in the vicinity that something maybe amiss. An external siren box in itself is also a visual deterrent. Ring are missing a trick here, this should definitely be on the development roadmap as a matter of priority providing full integration of the Ring ecosystem.

9 Likes

There is an option to buy the dome alarm siren for $40 which can be mounted outside. However, it is a waste and unnecessary if we already got ring cameras which have sirens on them. There must be something holding ring back as the cameras can be triggered to activate their lights and record with alarm.

3 Likes

Those dome sirens are for inside use only sadly. It’s been ask for the outside light or cams to set off sirens many times. It would help even though the sirens in them are not extremely loud. I have asked to have the lights strobe or turn on and off for an outside visual alert to nearby houses as well. They really need an outdoor built siren that can be heard well. I think I understand their lack of the device though. In many areas the use of a siren outside is now illegal. I never hear them anymore by me. Everything is a silent alarm with police being notified. But in other places I’m sure there’s nothing illegal at all.

4 Likes

Holy crap. I installed two doorbells, two floodlights, alarm with two keypads, retrofit kit and wired up to the ADT box, and…find out the sirens on the floodlights cannot be triggered in event of an alarm… This settles it, there is no perfect system. I really thought this was the one.

9 Likes

Come on man. This is basic stuff. Don’t let the product manager fool you. As a software developer I can tell you this should be trivial to implement if their behind the scenes apis are worth a dam. What is most likely at issue is the fact that you probably have 1 team writing the software and apis for the alarm and 1 for the legacy camera apis. The cameras came first and are possibly developed in a completely different geography than the team developing the alarms. The alarm team could have come from an acquisition making the integration of the systems even harder. This has nothing to do with technical limitations of the devices in of themselves. This has to do with technical debt of their software development processes.

5 Likes

This really needs to happen soon or people will look elsewhere.
Should be the case now. Come on ring-get on it asap!

10 Likes

I have to add my +1 to this. It really does seem like a simple and obvious addition to the setup. With two outside floodlights on my house, I would expect to be able to trigger the outside sirens in the event of an alarm.

9 Likes

+1 here, it seems crazy that we can’t have an external siren… Especially when every other conventional alarm does! I’m completely reliant on verifying an intruder and setting of the external sirens manually at the moment which is so slow, sort it out Ring! It’s a feature people clearly want!

8 Likes

I agree, this needs to happen quickly

8 Likes

I should have read this forum before investing. I also thought it was a no brainer that the security cameras would sound as the security system is triggered. Can’t see the point in triggering my cameras to record me getting robbed in silence ?

8 Likes

Just installed my alarm and went to link the floodlight siren and was astonished that it can’t be done. This should be super simple!!

7 Likes

Wow…I can’t believe this doesn’t work either. I was just about to pull the trigger on a Ring Alarm system. Now, I am having second thoughts as I have a huge investment in a number of other Ring devices (5 cameras/floodlights) and they can’t sound an alarm!!!

7 Likes

There is zero point in having an alarm without an external siren .

6 Likes