what adhesive to use for magnets?

Hi!

I have 2nd gen contact sensors to use with our door, and with our door frame in order to get a close enough mount with the sensor and magnet I had to take the magnet out of the case. What type of adhesive is recommended to use to mount the magnet (not in the case) onto a door frame?

thanks!

@jessicalee78 wrote:

Hi!

I have 2nd gen contact sensors to use with our door, and with our door frame in order to get a close enough mount with the sensor and magnet I had to take the magnet out of the case. What type of adhesive is recommended to use to mount the magnet (not in the case) onto a door frame?

thanks!

Hello @jessicalee78 ,

There really is no specific recommended adhesive. As long as whatever you use securely holds that magnet (that’s not in the case) then it should be just fine.

Here are some other options (besides using a glue adhesive that would bond the metal magnet to your frame):

• The double-sided tape that came with your sensor is just ‘pre-cut’ Command 3M Double Sided Sticky Tape, that you can purchase in many local stores. But just about any strong double-sided tape, can be substituted too.

• Store sell “Hook and Loop” (Velcro) tape strips.

• It appears like you removed the magnet from the case because it was a tight fit. You can purchase the inexpensive “Ring Alarm Slim Magnet.” It is very slim (under 1/4 inch) and small, and would provide a more sleek and professional looking appearance (if that is important to you).

• Slim Magnet Dimensions 1.27 in. long x 0.40 in. high x 0.20 in. thin

https://ring.com/collections/all-products/products/alarm-slim-magnet

If you’re like me, the picture of it on Ring.com page doesn’t really give me an appreciation for how small it is. For seeing how thin a “Slim” magnet really is, this Youtube video link, at around the 2-minute part, gives you a much better idea of how it really is small and THIN. It shows the “Slim” magnet and notice where he sets it to close the internal ‘reed-switch’ on Gen1 sensor (although you do not own the larger Gen1. Note the Gen1 "reed-switch is not centered, but rather more to one end). Your Gen2 sensor’s ‘reed-switch’ is pretty much centered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BDdOu9IfbM

I hope you find this information helpful. :slight_smile:

1 Like