system configuration

Newbe to this forum, I’ve a question about system configuration.

I addition to recording video footage, do any of the cameras have the capability to instruct the base station to sound an alarm at when it detects motion? Or would I need a separate motion detector for this?

TIA

Welcome to the Community, @kalanikaau! This is an excellent question. At this time the Alarm system is a separate “ecosystem” from the other Ring devices. While they can all communicate via the same Ring app, and even be controlled together via the Modes feature, the Alarm’s emergency response is dedicated to Alarm devices.

We recommend using a combination of Contact Sensors and Motion Detectors with your Ring Alarm System to ensure for a true ‘Ring of security’ with Alarm. While the Alarm armed/ disarm modes, siren, and emergency response is only altered by Alarm devices, you can certainly accomplish some great automation options in the Ring app and with Alexa. Feel free to check out our help center article about arming/ disarming your Alarm with Alexa, as an example of what can be accomplished with integrations. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Thanks for your elaborate response, so I’m guessing the answer is no?

Strange that this capability is not incorporated into any of the Ring cameras because they do require some sort of motion detector technology, just as the standalone detectors require.

Competitors (such as Simpli-Safe) do incorporate this function in their systems.

Correct, @kalanikaau. At Ring we value your security and your safety. Many of our Alarm features are put in place with the best in mind, such as avoiding false alarms, for instance. Using the Alarm Motion Detectors is best, and comes with great benefits!

We are always working to add to and improve on features and devices. As we value our neighbors’ feedback, we’ve created a Feature Request board. Feel free to add this and any future feature requests there. This will help us to organize and share your requests with our teams here, as well as allow other neighbors to comment and add interest, all in one place. :slight_smile: