cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Mode Change Failed" in Android App

Highlighted
New Neighbor II

"Mode Change Failed" in Android App

Starting the last week or so, I would get intermittent "Mode Change Failed" errors when I tried to change the mode for the RIng Alarm. Now, it's ocurring about over 70% of the time.  So, far closing the app seems to clear it temporarily. However, it keeps reoccuring.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app. Clearing cache etc. All sensors are showing cleared.

Anyone else having this issue?

I did try calling Ring support. However, the rep said that there was nothing that he could do because he does not deal with app issues, only troubleshooting the Alarm system (which is controlled by the app....). When I asked if he had heard of this problem before or could at least report it as an issue, he said that he had no way to report problems.... interacting with Ring just keeps getting better and better....

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: "Mode Change Failed" in Android App

Hey @meme. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I have made sure to pass this onto the appropriate team for you. If you could, please let me know what version of the Ring app you have, along with what operating software version you have as well so they can be passed on. Please rest assured that our team is looking into this. Your Ring Alarm Security System is still functional and can still be controlled via your Ring Alarm Keypad.

In the meantime, to regain arming and disarming functionality from within the app, please continue to force close the Ring app from your device, wait 10 seconds and re-launch the Ring App. This seems to be something you have already done, so I would appreciate you continuing to do this in the meanwhile. Thank you for your patience! 

Like my answer? Accept it as a solution (click on the 'Accepted Solution' button next to reply). Learn more about the Community, here.
Highlighted
New Neighbor II

@Chelsea_Ring

Thank you for your follow up! This is on android Ring app version 3.22.1

@Chelsea_Ring wrote:

Hey @meme. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I have made sure to pass this onto the appropriate team for you. If you could, please let me know what version of the Ring app you have, along with what operating software version you have as well so they can be passed on. Please rest assured that our team is looking into this. Your Ring Alarm Security System is still functional and can still be controlled via your Ring Alarm Keypad.

In the meantime, to regain arming and disarming functionality from within the app, please continue to force close the Ring app from your device, wait 10 seconds and re-launch the Ring App. This seems to be something you have already done, so I would appreciate you continuing to do this in the meanwhile. Thank you for your patience! 

Highlighted
New Neighbor

This issue is reproducible by simply opening the app on one network (like your mobile data) and then move to a new network (like your home network). The app will fail to get or change statuses and the section that shows Nearby Incidents and Event History will fail to load.

To fix, you close the app and re-open it.  

Really inconvenient when getting home and the app is fouled up.

FYI - I'm on ATT with a G S9+

Highlighted
New Neighbor

This exact issue has been happening to me as well. I'm running all the latest firmware updates as well as the latest android app version. I also have a Galaxy S9+.

Highlighted
New Neighbor II

Good catch! That sequence of events fits my issues. I wouldn't have noticed the relationship. For my devices, switching between 2.4ghz and 5ghz wifi also triggers this "Mode Change Failed" issue as well. I can see the app "flash" when the device changes networks.

The other issue that the changing of network has started to trigger is that the app is unable to load the "dashboard" (second line on homepage with "Nearby Incidents" and "Event History").  The app just shows a blue line circling with the message "This is taking longer than expected..." Again, the only "fix" is to close the app and restart.

In retrospect, the timing of these issues seems to concide with the lastest app update. From the other posts on this community, the last Ring android app update has caused other problems.

I have Samsung phones and tablets as well.

Highlighted
New Neighbor II

Hmmm.... there must be another trigger for these errors..... I've been at home and did not notice any change of networks and just got the Mode Change Failed error when I tried to arm the system.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

I've had this issue myself.  I tried many ways to fix it but the only thing that worked was to uninstall and reinstall the app. Then it reoccured again and again but this time turning the phone off and back on fixed it.  

Highlighted
Neighbor II

There was an issue posted on the Ring status.
It's been resolved.
See my attached screenshot.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Yes, happen to me this morning using Note 10+. I did what the above user mentioned by changing from Wifi to mobile & it fixed it. 

/* */