"Mode Change Failed" in Android App

I’ve had this issue myself. I tried many ways to fix it but the only thing that worked was to uninstall and reinstall the app. Then it reoccured again and again but this time turning the phone off and back on fixed it.

There was an issue posted on the Ring status.
It’s been resolved.
See my attached screenshot.

1 Like

Yes, happen to me this morning using Note 10+. I did what the above user mentioned by changing from Wifi to mobile & it fixed it.

@Eagle328Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately, the issue has not been resolved for my app…

@Chelsea_Ring Thank you for bringing this issue to the attention of the Ring team. As Eagle328 pointed out, Ring System Status noted that this was resolved on Thursday Feb 6. Unfortunately, the mode change failure has occured for me several times since then–even after implementing the Feb 7 Ring app update. I have tried also clearing the cache, restarting the phone after updating the app. There is another app issue that may be related to this mode changing error issue. It seems that the changing of the network (between 2.4ghz, 5ghz, and mobile data) also causes errors with the app loading the “dashboard” (second line on homepage with “Nearby Incidents” and “Event History”). After the network change, if you navigate away from the home screen to go to another menu or minimize (not closing) the Ring app, when you return to the home screen, the app just shows a moving blue circle with the message “Loading your Ring Dashboard.” Then the message changes to “This is taking longer than expected…” And then, the only way to clear this error and load the dashboard is to close and restart the Ring app.

@Eagle328 wrote:
There was an issue posted on the Ring status.
It’s been resolved.
See my attached screenshot.

I’m not sure if the Ring App on my Android (Pie) phone was doing mode change,

but defniitely when loading the dashboard, I’m seeing same error past several days and today as well:

“This is taking longer than expected…”

I had to force close the app and relaunch to see the dashboard again.

My husband and I are having a similar issue now. This morning he “disarmed” the system when he got up for work but when I went to rearm it, it said mode change failed. The app on my phone stated the system was still armed. While the base and keypad said it was disarmed. Is this an App issue? My mom also has access to this, she wasn’t able to arm or disarm it suddenly, and now she can’t even access the app. Whats the deal here?

B.

I am getting this error today. This was the first time that I have ever armed the system last night and trying to disarm this morning, I got this error.

Using the keypad I can still disarm, but not the app. And even the system has dis armed by the keypad, the android app is still showing armed. I have to forcily stop the app to show the correct mode.

These issues went away for a while. But they seem to have returned.

The mode change error re-occurred for a while a few weeks ago. It’s hard to tell if it went away. It was previously triggered by changing the source of the network connection (e.g., wifi to cell network), but when you don’t leave the house much due to a pandemic, the network connection source doesn’t change much. Now, the dashboard (Nearby Incidents and Event History) won’t show up. I have to close down and re-start the app for the dashboard to show up.

1 Like

I am having the same issues I have a apple phone so this must be a larger issue to do with the Ring network
Ring team need to fix and not advise to install re install app we are paying for a service Ring team please deliver

Thanks for posting the screenshot of the “solution”. Unfortunately, I think Ring’s solution is less than optimal. Just telling us to shut down and restart the app every time we go from our home wi-fi to cellular data (for example) is not a long-term solution. I hope Ring is continuing to work on a permament fix for this issue.

1 Like

I ran into the same mode change situation… ended up with my phone showing the system was armed, but the system itself showing disarmed.

I’m having the same issue. Workaround is to kill the Ring app and restart it. I have a LG V20 with the latest Ring app installed. As others have said, this is annoying, and having to using the workaround is not good. My wife’s IPhone with Ring app version 5.29.1 does not not have this problem.

I don’t have this issue on my Android phones.
Ring just updated their Android app a few days ago to version 3.30.0. If this just started it may have been the recent update or you might not have it yet.
All my phones are on Android 10 or 11 now. So it may be a conflict with the older OS and the app.

1 Like

@alex14641

Agreed, this problem seems to keep reappearing. They fixed it for a while. Then it seems with app updates, it reappears; disappears; reappears…

I just checked and was able to trigger it twice by changing from Wi-Fi to cellular (and back). Although, it used to be that I had to close down the app. Now if I give it a few seconds, it seems that once the app finds a new network, it allows me to change the mode without having to close app. I am using a Samsung Note 10.

Thank you for continuing to share your experiences with us, neighbors. This mode change error should not be happening, especially to the extent of needing to force close the Ring app. When switching between communication methods (wifi/ mobile data) it may take a moment for the mobile device to process and the Ring app to recognize connection change.

If your Ring app is still showing this error, or seemingly not connecting when switching your mobile phone’s communication method, please check the app store for any updates. The most current Ring app version for Android is 3.30.0 and IOS is 5.30.0. I recommend also removing and reinstalling the Ring app on your mobile device.

As Android devices are mentioned most often here, please ensure there are not any apps installed that might conflict with the Ring app, and vpn is not enabled. If this concern persists in the manner of requiring an app force close, showing error that never resolves, or never reconnecting for the mode change due to connection change, please share a screen recording of this.

When attaching this video, you will need to compress the MP4 file into a ZIP file, as ZIP files can be attached to your reply and not MP4s. In addition, you can upload this video elsewhere, such as YouTube, and then share the link to the video in your reply. Alternatively, if the video is saved in the Event History in your Ring App, you can choose to share it via email and copy the link that is generated. Thank you!

Uninstalling and reinstalling the Ring app seems to have fixed the issue for me. Haven’t had the problem for two days, even when switching between cellular and wi-fi networks.

1 Like

The answers given by Ring don’t work. I have spent an hour just trying to change Modes. This is a long term problem and old answers have failed. Has anyone really tried to fix this? It fails to save changes and will not change modes. I have uninstalled it, foced stop, changed routers, and emptied my brain of expletives to no avail. I was happy with the system, but am ready to junk it. Is there a fix?

I am also running 5.33 on IOS 14.2 and have this issue. Tried reinstalling application after deleting data and still the issue persists. Please kindly advise and raise with your development team. It is a real inconvenience.

I was seeing this every time I accessed the Ring application using a Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Android).

The problem seems to have been solved by adding both Ring and Rapid Ring to the App Power ManagementApps that won’t be put to sleep list.

When added, these apps will continue to run in the background. Otherwise, when you access the Ring application after a period of inactivity, apparently it has to establish comms with either the cloud or your Ring base station through your LAN/WiFi (I am not certain how these comms are handled). The time required to complete this communications link is apparently what’s causing the (justified) appearance of the message “this it taking longer than expected”.

1 Like

This issue and others have returned for me. Are others experiencing this?

Over the last few months, the app has gotten more and more buggy and slow. This includes the dashboard not loading; modes not loading; “Mode Change Failed”; app proclaiming that there is not internet connection when I am sitting next to router.

I have both cleared the app cache and reinstalled the app, but the issues persist and are getting worse. The only “fix” is to close the app and restart constantly, which is a pain and problematic if there is an urgent security issue. I use Samsung devices, and the Ring app is set not to go to sleep. This time, it does not seem to be isolated to changes in network source (e.g., wifi to 4G).

@Chelsea_Ring, please pass along to the appropriate team. Whatever they did last time seemed to fix it for me, for a while at least. Thank you!