"Mode Change Failed" in Android App

Starting the last week or so, I would get intermittent “Mode Change Failed” errors when I tried to change the mode for the RIng Alarm. Now, it’s ocurring about over 70% of the time. So, far closing the app seems to clear it temporarily. However, it keeps reoccuring.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app. Clearing cache etc. All sensors are showing cleared.

Anyone else having this issue?

I did try calling Ring support. However, the rep said that there was nothing that he could do because he does not deal with app issues, only troubleshooting the Alarm system (which is controlled by the app…). When I asked if he had heard of this problem before or could at least report it as an issue, he said that he had no way to report problems… interacting with Ring just keeps getting better and better…

2 Likes

Hey @meme. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I have made sure to pass this onto the appropriate team for you. If you could, please let me know what version of the Ring app you have, along with what operating software version you have as well so they can be passed on. Please rest assured that our team is looking into this. Your Ring Alarm Security System is still functional and can still be controlled via your Ring Alarm Keypad.

In the meantime, to regain arming and disarming functionality from within the app, please continue to force close the Ring app from your device, wait 10 seconds and re-launch the Ring App. This seems to be something you have already done, so I would appreciate you continuing to do this in the meanwhile. Thank you for your patience!

1 Like

@Chelsea_Ring

Thank you for your follow up! This is on android Ring app version 3.22.1

@Chelsea_Ring wrote:

Hey @meme. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I have made sure to pass this onto the appropriate team for you. If you could, please let me know what version of the Ring app you have, along with what operating software version you have as well so they can be passed on. Please rest assured that our team is looking into this. Your Ring Alarm Security System is still functional and can still be controlled via your Ring Alarm Keypad.

In the meantime, to regain arming and disarming functionality from within the app, please continue to force close the Ring app from your device, wait 10 seconds and re-launch the Ring App. This seems to be something you have already done, so I would appreciate you continuing to do this in the meanwhile. Thank you for your patience!

2 Likes

This issue is reproducible by simply opening the app on one network (like your mobile data) and then move to a new network (like your home network). The app will fail to get or change statuses and the section that shows Nearby Incidents and Event History will fail to load.

To fix, you close the app and re-open it.

Really inconvenient when getting home and the app is fouled up.

FYI - I’m on ATT with a G S9+

2 Likes

This exact issue has been happening to me as well. I’m running all the latest firmware updates as well as the latest android app version. I also have a Galaxy S9+.

Good catch! That sequence of events fits my issues. I wouldn’t have noticed the relationship. For my devices, switching between 2.4ghz and 5ghz wifi also triggers this “Mode Change Failed” issue as well. I can see the app “flash” when the device changes networks.

The other issue that the changing of network has started to trigger is that the app is unable to load the “dashboard” (second line on homepage with “Nearby Incidents” and “Event History”). The app just shows a blue line circling with the message “This is taking longer than expected…” Again, the only “fix” is to close the app and restart.

In retrospect, the timing of these issues seems to concide with the lastest app update. From the other posts on this community, the last Ring android app update has caused other problems.

I have Samsung phones and tablets as well.

Hmmm… there must be another trigger for these errors… I’ve been at home and did not notice any change of networks and just got the Mode Change Failed error when I tried to arm the system.

1 Like

I’ve had this issue myself. I tried many ways to fix it but the only thing that worked was to uninstall and reinstall the app. Then it reoccured again and again but this time turning the phone off and back on fixed it.

There was an issue posted on the Ring status.
It’s been resolved.
See my attached screenshot.

1 Like

Yes, happen to me this morning using Note 10+. I did what the above user mentioned by changing from Wifi to mobile & it fixed it.

@Eagle328Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately, the issue has not been resolved for my app…

@Chelsea_Ring Thank you for bringing this issue to the attention of the Ring team. As Eagle328 pointed out, Ring System Status noted that this was resolved on Thursday Feb 6. Unfortunately, the mode change failure has occured for me several times since then–even after implementing the Feb 7 Ring app update. I have tried also clearing the cache, restarting the phone after updating the app. There is another app issue that may be related to this mode changing error issue. It seems that the changing of the network (between 2.4ghz, 5ghz, and mobile data) also causes errors with the app loading the “dashboard” (second line on homepage with “Nearby Incidents” and “Event History”). After the network change, if you navigate away from the home screen to go to another menu or minimize (not closing) the Ring app, when you return to the home screen, the app just shows a moving blue circle with the message “Loading your Ring Dashboard.” Then the message changes to “This is taking longer than expected…” And then, the only way to clear this error and load the dashboard is to close and restart the Ring app.

@Eagle328 wrote:
There was an issue posted on the Ring status.
It’s been resolved.
See my attached screenshot.

I’m not sure if the Ring App on my Android (Pie) phone was doing mode change,

but defniitely when loading the dashboard, I’m seeing same error past several days and today as well:

“This is taking longer than expected…”

I had to force close the app and relaunch to see the dashboard again.

My husband and I are having a similar issue now. This morning he “disarmed” the system when he got up for work but when I went to rearm it, it said mode change failed. The app on my phone stated the system was still armed. While the base and keypad said it was disarmed. Is this an App issue? My mom also has access to this, she wasn’t able to arm or disarm it suddenly, and now she can’t even access the app. Whats the deal here?

B.

I am getting this error today. This was the first time that I have ever armed the system last night and trying to disarm this morning, I got this error.

Using the keypad I can still disarm, but not the app. And even the system has dis armed by the keypad, the android app is still showing armed. I have to forcily stop the app to show the correct mode.

These issues went away for a while. But they seem to have returned.

The mode change error re-occurred for a while a few weeks ago. It’s hard to tell if it went away. It was previously triggered by changing the source of the network connection (e.g., wifi to cell network), but when you don’t leave the house much due to a pandemic, the network connection source doesn’t change much. Now, the dashboard (Nearby Incidents and Event History) won’t show up. I have to close down and re-start the app for the dashboard to show up.

1 Like

I am having the same issues I have a apple phone so this must be a larger issue to do with the Ring network
Ring team need to fix and not advise to install re install app we are paying for a service Ring team please deliver

Thanks for posting the screenshot of the “solution”. Unfortunately, I think Ring’s solution is less than optimal. Just telling us to shut down and restart the app every time we go from our home wi-fi to cellular data (for example) is not a long-term solution. I hope Ring is continuing to work on a permament fix for this issue.

1 Like

I ran into the same mode change situation… ended up with my phone showing the system was armed, but the system itself showing disarmed.

I’m having the same issue. Workaround is to kill the Ring app and restart it. I have a LG V20 with the latest Ring app installed. As others have said, this is annoying, and having to using the workaround is not good. My wife’s IPhone with Ring app version 5.29.1 does not not have this problem.

I don’t have this issue on my Android phones.
Ring just updated their Android app a few days ago to version 3.30.0. If this just started it may have been the recent update or you might not have it yet.
All my phones are on Android 10 or 11 now. So it may be a conflict with the older OS and the app.

1 Like