When will the Retrofit Alarm Kit be available in the UK?

Any Update on this? I’m also desperate for a UK version of the retrofit kit.

I get that the development team might not want to publish a release date but can you at least confirm if it is the intension to release a UK version?

John.

4 Likes

We appreciate everyone sharing their continued interest in this! This feedback will certainly be delivered to our teams here. Feel free to invite other neighbors to shared their desire for this feature here and in our feature request boards. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yep, I’m trying to decide whether to get the Ring Alarm, buy an upgraded panel for my old one or buy simplisafe. If you can tell me its on its way I’ll await the retrofit kit.

1 Like

Is it definitely in plan? Is it safe to grab a Black Friday deal for the alarm system, with complete confidence that the kit will definitely be availble in the future in the UK?

Hey neighbors! We do not have any news or information to share on a release of the Retrofit Alarm Kit in the UK. You can always monitor the UK News and Announcements board for any updates or product releases, as we’ll be sure to post there.

Retrofit for the UK would be great!

Does the US system allow motion sensors to or is it just entry/exit sensors?

For the US version, only entry sensors are “officially” supported. Motion sensors work fine though. The issue with the motion sensors is they require power that the Retrofit Kit is not able to supply. If you can supply power to them in another way (such as leaving the power leads connected to the old panel/supply), you can add them as open/close sensors.

2 Likes

Has anybody successfully fitted a US retrofit to their UK alarm and us their any sync issues as it’s not on the list.

I’m waiting for the UK retrofit kit before replacing my existing alarm with Ring.
I intend to build a small 12v battery backup power supply to run my existing PIR sensors so they can be connected along with all the door switches throughout the house. Many are invisibly built into the door frames so are considerably more discreet than the ring ones.
One thing that would be incredibly useful is a ring controlled no/nc switch. With some simple wiring I could then connect my external bell box along with a 12v psu. Unfortunately I haven’t found any other solution for this which would still work when mains power fails or my internet cable is cut. Wondering if anyone has hacked the dome siren to turn it into a remote switch for a louder bell?

Come on Ring - when will the retrofit kit be available in the UK.
I don’t want to replace all my PIRs and door contacts - but want to add ring alarm to my existing Ring camera set-up. Replacing PIR’s means converting to battery operated devices and changing contacts that are hidden in door frames isn’t practical.
I’m seriously considering Konnected.io which will let me re-use the PIRs and contacts - and integrate to Smartthings - so I can trigger home lighting and other automations.
I thought you’d be leading the way given you’re now owned by Amazon and they have a huge stake in home automation (GreenGrass).

4 Likes

I’m interested too. As others have said have doors sensors already which are neatly hidden and a couple of wired motion sensors. Was wondering whether to decommission the old system but seems a shame. Can’t get a confirmed yes will bring to market from Ring

4 Likes

thats annoying thats its not available in the UK, i might buy it from the US and try it but i dont want to loose money.

Vote for it here Retrofit Alarm UK

1 Like

Any news on retro fit alarm yet. Keen to upgrade my system but don’t want to if the ring hard wired system is released.

Come on ring…
What if I bought a complete alarm system with retrofit kit from the US - would it work in the uk?

Hi @mikeyg123. The Ring Alarm is a region specific device. With this in mind, devices are only intended to be used in the region they are designed for. If used outside of that region, they may not operate as intended.

1 Like

The Ring Alarm system uses Z-Wave for wireless communication. Z-Wave frequencies vary between global regions, with the UK/Europe (using 868.4 MHz, 869.85 MHz) and the US (using 908.4 MHz, 916 MHz). Therefore, unfortunately, you CANNOT import the US version and use it with the UK base station, as they operate on separate frequencies. Additionally, you also cannot import the entire system from the US, as the US frequencies are not approved for use in the UK. Ring needs to release a UK/European specific version. I too am waiting for them to release this and wish they would at least indicate if it’s coming any time soon!

1 Like

I’m going to give it a go then. No one is going to care about zwave low power transmissions on the wrong frequency in my neighbourhood. Will be interesting to see if the zwave modules are actually replaceable.

Just in case it’s useful to anyone, I’ve used a Fibaro smart implant connected to a different z wave controller which triggers the alarm via the unofficial ring api ( using police panic currently. ) You need to know what you’re doing though, clearly! All ring would really need to do is add the Fibaro as an approved device so you could connect it ( you can now ) and more importantly trigger the alarm with it.

This is by no means an approved solution but if you buy all your bits from the US, use alternative mains power adapters and configure them correctly then the system does work in the UK although on unapproved and therefore potentially illegal frequencies.
The app did not detect or complain about this when a colleague of mine set the basics up in his house and then got me to debug everything as he is about as logical as spaghetti once all the cameras, alarm and stuff were connected to his wifi.
From what I can therefore establish it seems that Ring (aka Amazon) are just being plain lazy and unhelpful as all that needs changing are the frequency chips on the alarm retrofit box if we are to assume the UK spec sensors are also on the approved Z-wave frequencies already if they communicate with the base station.
Ring - care to comment on your extremely unhelpful approach? There must be a lot more who have simply not made any comment compared to those on here (that must be a pretty large UK customer base) many of which would buy the revised device to enhance repurpose their existing wiring!

3 Likes