User code already in use?

Family of three here. I am the Owner and have a code. My wife and daughter are shared users. I originally added daughter as a guest and gave her her code from our previous alarm system.

I deleted the guest account because she couldn’t use the app. When setting her up as a shared account, I can’t give her the desired code because the system says the code is already in use even though the guest account was deleted.

Any ideas how to work around this?

Thanks.

1 Like

Nothing? Hello Ring??

Am I going to have to reset the whole thing? The old code is still stuck in there. I tried deleting the daughter and adding her back in. My wife also. I know it’s not my code, and not the duress code.

Any ideas?

Have you called customer service? They can see your account information. The agents here can not.

Hey @GoRavens! PIN codes for users can be changed by following these instructions:

• In the Ring app, open the menu.
  • Confirm the proper location is selected, then tap Location Settings.
  • Tap Users.
  • Tap the User that you would like to change.
  • Tap Personal Access Code.
  • Enter a four-digit code, then re-enter the code.
  • Tap Save.

Keep in mind, Duress codes must be unique and Shared Users will also need to have a unique code. Check out our help center article about PIN codes for more information on best use. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

I think the point was this “normal” process can’t be done. I have exactly the same issue. I have no shared users, and when I add a user it says the code I am selecting is already in use, even though there are no users on the system and the code they claim is already in use is not the owner code.

There is a fundemental issue somewhere that a failed sahred user holds the code in the system and won’t let you re-use it.

I am on the phone to support and 40 minutes in, they are still trying to work out how to resolve it.

Ok, I’m having the same issue. Is there an easy fix?

Hi @Lakeestate. If the solutions previously suggested in this thread were not helpful in resolving this concern for you, it would be best for you to follow up with our support team directly. They can take a look at your account to determine why you’re not able to get this Shared User code up and running. You can give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. :slight_smile:

1 Like

exactly the same issue here. Removed the shared user, setup invitation again. But the same accesscode seems already in use. Strange is that also reset is not possible.

Having the same exact issue, any updates?

Also having this same issue. Tried inviting my wife twice, failed the first time and now can’t use that code anymore, even though there are only two users on the account.

So we’re rounding a year and a half now and still no solution? You’d think as many people on here with the same problem that tech support would get tired of having to manually fix it for each user.

1 Like

I know it’s a bit late but maybe can help someone in the future.
It’s really easy… just remove the lock or locks that are giving the problem from the ring app.
1.From the Dashboard click on locks to see your locks.
2.Click on the name of the lock that is giving problems.
3.Click on Device Settings
4. Click on Remove

Then Add the Lock again
1.From the Dashboard click on Setup a Device
2.Click on Locks and Access Control
3. Click on Z-wave Locks
4.Select your brand and model of Lock
5.Follow the app instructions
6.Done

By removing the lock and install it again the Ring App automatically erase al the codes on the lock. I found is the easiest way to fix the problem. I personally tested the procedure on more than 10 different locks with the same problem and it works.

Thanks
Morey

2 Likes

I just installed a Ring Alarm system in my home and another in my parent’s place, I’m very happy with the system and its easy of use, however, I just came into the same problem explained in this thread. As a paying costumer, I find the “solution” of having to uninstall and reinstall de base station cumbersome at best.

Previously used codes should be directly deleted when they’re changed or the guest user is removed, or at least add an option for the owner of the alarm to reset them manually from the app.

I’m not saying this is a deal breaker, but the problem’s been around long enough and, at least from the user’s standpoint, it seems easy enough to solve via a software update.

After 2 failed chat attempts and a call to Ring support, I found out that the code I wanted to use with the failed Shared User attempt is now locked. Apparently you can never reuse a code once it’s been reserved. Super annoying.

I have exactly the same problem. I cannot delete and re-use a guest user pin code. Please post a work around if/when you find one.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.