Two stay modes? One with motion; one without

I was wondering if it were possible to set up two stay modes: one with motion sensors off when you’re home and walking around and another with all sensors, including motion, on. I already know how to enable or disable sensors for Stay and Away. Thank you.

Hello @ringgoesbell ,

I’m not quite sure what you are referring to when you say “Stay Modes.” There are 3 Alarm Modes: “Disarmed”, “Home”, and “Away” for your “Intruder” Alarm system." For the Ring Alarm System, the “Home” and “Away” are the ‘armed’ modes that are capable of sounding the alarm/siren.

Alarm Motion Detector Sensors are always ON, and always ‘detecting’ and sending their status to the Alarm Base Station. The only true way to ‘turn them off’ is to remove the batteries. The key is what the Alarm Base Station does once receiving the status information of the Motion Sensor (to trigger the siren or not, while in the “Home” or “Away” Modes).

For when people are Home inside, typically Ring users setup their Alarm “Home” Mode so the Contact sensors (door and windows) are set to trigger the alarm, forming a protective perimeter while they are inside the house (home and walking around) and setting the Motion Sensors so that the Base Station will not trigger the alarm. You want the Door and Window Contact Sensors to trigger the siren, but you don’t want the Motion Sensors to trigger the siren, as people move about inside. But if you like, you can enable a Motion Sensor in rooms you will definitely not go into while in “Home”, such as a Garage/Shed/Locked room. Or some people only activate the “Home” Mode while sleeping upstairs, and therefore they can enable some of the downstairs Motion Sensors (but remember to “Disarm” before entering the detection zone of an enabled Motion Sensor).

For when people are gone and nobody is inside, typically Ring users setup their Alarm “Away” Mode so the Contact sensors (door and windows) are set to trigger the alarm, AND set the Motion Sensors so that the Base Station will all trigger the alarm.

Since I’m unclear what you meant by “Stay”, but if you are referring to the motion sensors that are on the Video Cameras, it’s important to note that the Video Cameras are your “Surveillance System.” The Alarm is an “Intruder Protection System.” The Video Camera Surveillance System can not trigger the Alarm system. It less confusing if you try to think that the two systems are separate and independent and just happen to share the same Ring App. Of course, there are always exceptions. The Alarm Mode of “Disarm”, “Home”, and “Away” can be used to modify the behavior of the Camera system. But for the most part, you probably want the “Motion Detection Enabled” and the “Live View Enable” on each of the 3 Alarm “Mode Settings” page.

If you are referring to the text-type ‘pushed’ Notifications that your receive on your App from your cameras or Motion Sensors, those currently are unaffected by your Alarm Modes of “Disarmed”, “Home”, and “Away.” You toggle the Notifications to either be always enabled or disabled.

It is possible I’ve misunderstood your question about the “Stay” mode, and maybe I just wrote about stuff that you already knew, but hopefully a part of what I have written is somehow help to you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@ringgoesbell wrote:

I was wondering if it were possible to set up two stay modes: one with motion sensors off when you’re home and walking around and another with all sensors, including motion, on. I already know how to enable or disable sensors for Stay and Away. Thank you.

Oh @ringgoesbell ,

After thinking about this for a while, and then this occurred to me . . . maybe what you actually meant by “Stay” is an addition “Home” Mode, like a “Home 1” and “Home 2” or something like a total of 4 Modes (Disarmed, Home, Stay, Away)? So that you could have a “Home 1” setup for only your Contact sensors. And then have another quick Mode button “Home 2” (or “Stay” or “Home Night”) that has already been setup up for another combination of Contact Sensor and one or two Motion Detector Sensors to cover (as I wrote in my initial post):

• “Enable a Motion Sensor in rooms you will definitely not go into while in “Home”, such as a Garage/Shed/Locked room. Or some people only activate the “Home” Mode while sleeping upstairs, and therefore they can enable some of the downstairs Motion Sensors.”

Now, if that’s what your meant, for another “Home” Mode, then that is a cool idea! :slight_smile:

Although there are several regular forum posts already about this additional “Home” Mode, the Feature Request Board forum is where Ring Team look to see what people might want. And the more “Thumbs Up” Kudo votes they see there will better get their attention. You should add your Kudo vote, if you like the requesting author’s idea, to help get the attention of the Ring Teams on the links below (these are similar requests for an additional mode , and I’ve probably missed a few others):

Submitted by TheAmazingDento :

https://community.ring.com/t5/Feature-Request-Board/Additional-mode-s-please/idi-p/41984

Submitted by Riveter :

https://community.ring.com/t5/Feature-Request-Board/Ring-needs-a-NEW-mode-badly/idi-p/24168

Am I still misunderstanding your original request, or was this what you meant? I hope this additional information is useful to you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I believe a have info on “Stay” mode. I have been using Alexa app to TRY to set Skills & Routines to get Home mode to run on a schedule. 11pm on,…7am back to Disarm. Contact sensor on my unattached garage is the only thing I have connected to Home mode. So far I have been unsuccessful but in setting a Routine (which didn’t work, yet) I had to choose an action for Alexa to tell Ring to perform. That was where the Ring “Arm Stay” option came up. I still haven’t figured out what “Arm Stay” is either. Hope the attached pic comes through.
(upload://f3UkpxN0u7BDKWVDdXcbPWoz1hk.jpeg)