Two Window Sensor issues

Just got started setting up Ring alarm system. I’m having two window sensor issues right now:

1. One sensor will not sync no matter how many times I try again, take out the battery and put it back in, etc. I’m not trying more than one sensor at a time. That’s the only advice I get from ther rather sdparse document that came in the box. ideas?
  2. These Ring sensors are too big for my casement windows. Ther only way I can get them in is to permanently remove the screens, which isn’t a good option. Are there thinner sensors that are compatible?

Thanks folks!

There is a sensor reset procedure. You can call support and they can walk you through it.

As for mounting, have you seen the slim magnet? I found using this magnet I could mount the sensor on the frame and use this magnet on the window itself. The magnet is really small.

https://shop.ring.com/collections/accessories/products/alarm-slim-magnet

That “Slim” magnet is Slim & waaaay smaller.

But alas, the much larger Sensor still makes it impossible to mount the Sensor & Magnet behind the window covering on some windows & on some door mouldings.

I have five (5) windows & two (2) out of three (3) exterior doors that canNOT be protected.

A much smaller Sensor & Magnet combo is long overdue.

I was told 2 months ago that a smaller sensor & magnet release was imminent.

Now they say March 2020 at the earliest.

Sorry, but I will not be suckered into relying on those estimates any more.

I bought all of my Ring products from Costco which has an exceptional return policy.

This weekend, I am UNinstalling the Doorbell Pro, Floodlight Cam, Chime Pro, & Alarm System & returning them all to Costco.

I do not know your situation, but it is hard for me to envision how a door cannot be protected. Every door I have seen has a flat permieter, so the sensor can be mounted on the door. And if the casing will not accomodate that little tiny slim magnet is some fashion (mounted straight, sideways, on the jamb protruding into the door area and move the sensor over) that would be really unusual. And I would think the same with windows. But . . . I am not there and have not seen. Just thinking if that will not work, hard to envision how any sensor & magnet will.

I tried to attach a picture, but it was all washed out because of the same white color of the door & molding.

But, there is no way to install even the smaller “Slim” magnet on the side of the molding - which protudes only 1/8" beyond the door.

Further, the door is a metal door & I generally would not install the “Sensor” part on a metal door. At least not without putting at least twice the adhesive tape underneath it.

The window coverings are 2" Wood Slat blinds & almost touch the window. There is also no way to put a “slim” magnet & a regular sized Sensor between the blind & the window.

There are several posts on this Ring Community that have the same problem.

But, there are tons more on Amazon.

I also spoke to a Ring rep who just moved to a new house & has the same problem on her doors.

Even if I could #$^%%^ rig an installation, it would look awful & would never be allowed by the wife.

If the magnet & sensor were both small it is possible that a #$^%%^ed installation would be asthetically acceptable.

For my “highly used door” I did not use the adhesive. I used two small screws. The sensor is going to stay. I also have a few sensors on metal doors with the standard adhesive, no problem.

As for the 1/8" clearance, that small magnet is the smallest thing you are ever going to find, have you looked at one?

I think you could make this work and look fine. Mine do.

As for the window, have you considered putting the sensor on the top of the bottom pane of the window (assuming a single hung window)? The magnet could even be attached to the glass of the upper pane (inside the sensor), or the side. Just try the sensor and the small magnet to test a few of those options. That small magnet is really really powerful.

Just a few ideas, gotta believe you can find one that works, and looks OK.

@Brad wrote:

As for the 1/8" clearance, that small magnet is the smallest thing you are ever going to find, have you looked at one?

I think you could make this work and look fine. Mine do.

I have used the small magnet on other windows with different window coverings.

As for the window, have you considered putting the sensor on the top of the bottom pane of the window (assuming a single hung window)? The magnet could even be attached to the glass of the upper pane (inside the sensor), or the side. Just try the sensor and the small magnet to test a few of those options. That small magnet is really really powerful.

THANKS for the input!