Two Things Needed To Keep Ring Alarm

@wirikidor wrote:

I bought the Ring Alarm based on the feature list and reviews and videos, but now that I have it I’m a bit dissapointed by two things.

1. I can’t get sensor chirps to play through the keypad. I bought a 2 keypad setup specifically so that I could hear chirps throughout the house. This is the only modern system I’ve ever seen where the keypad doesn’t do this, and it somewhat defeats the purpose of me having 2 keypads.

Furthermore, having the base unit near a keypad just so I can hear chirps, when you arm/disarm you get 2 speakers talking to you which is somewhat obnoxious. You can’t set the keypad to not play those sounds unless you disable all sounds.

1. Z-wave integration. This was a big selling point for me, but I’m having difficulty geting my Z-wave devices to show up in the Ring app. I spent a lot of time and money putting Z-wave switches throughout my house and they are not GE, but I should be able to add them to the Ring app as something generic right? So far all my attempts have failed. I haven’t tried adding them as a “sensor” but if that works I’m not sure if the app is going to control them properly.

If I can fix either one of these issues the system can be a keeper.

Make sure you have removed any existing z-wave switches from any other hub before you try and connect to ring. I had an issue with a z-wave ge switch that was still connected to my IQ panel it was replacing. When I removed it from the IQ panel I was able to add it to the ring alarm.

2 Likes