Smoke/CO Listener will not pass Test with new Kidde Model 270-VDSR smoke alarm.

I am setting up a new alarm system and my Smoke/CO Listener and my Ring APP shows the Listener listed on my list of connected devices, but it will not pass the Test with my smoke alarm, it’s as if it cannot hear my smoke alarm when the smoke alarm test button is pushed. I have tried several times and have also reset the Listener by removing and reinstalling the battery.

I am using a new Kidde Model 2070-VDSR smoke alarm. When the smoke alarm Test button is pushed there are two really loud short beeps followed-up buy the word “Fire”. Is the Ring Listener compatible with a Kidde Model 279-VDSR smoke alarm?

Hey @moss. After checking with my teams, they have isolate that the Kidde Model that you have doesn’t seem to be compatible. Based on your description of how the device will have two beeps followed by a spoken “fire,” then this would indeed make it incompatible. Our Ring Smoke/CO Listener listens for a T3 pattern (three beeps) for smoke and a T4 pattern (four beeps) for CO. If there is anything before and after these tones or if the tone is different, the Smoke/CO Listener will be unable to pair with your separate alarm. Hope this helps clear this up for you! :slight_smile:

I have several Kidde Smoke/CO detectors (model i12010SCO) which I am unable to pair with the Ring Smoke/CO listener. These Kidde detectors put out the 3 and 4 beeps during testing, which seem compatible with the T3 and T4 standards. The detectors also have ‘spoken word’ outputs. Based on the comment from ‘Chelsea_Ring’ (“If there is anything before and after these tones or if the tone is different, the Smoke/CO Listener will be unable to pair with your separate alarm.”), do you believe this Kidde model will not work with Ring listener? If so, this seems short-sighted on Amazon’s part, since the ‘spoken work’ outputs are quite common on smoke detectors.

1 Like

Hi there, @Michigander! Described further in our help center article, the Smoke & CO Listener is compatible with smoke and CO alarms that emit the industry standard Temporal T3 (Smoke) and T4 (CO) alarm patterns in accordance with current UL and National Fire Protection Association guidelines. It is recommended to refer to your device’s manufacturer’s recommendations for details.

Chelsea’s mention of conflicting or multiple tones is indeed correct, in which a device that does this would not work with the Listener.

As we always value our neighbors’ feedback, feel free to add this request on our Feature Request Board. This way other neighbors can share their interest in one place, that we can organize and share with our teams here. :slight_smile: