cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set Up Tips: Alarm Motion Detector

Highlighted
New Neighbor III

Re: Alarm Motion Detector Set Up Tips

I completely agree with @DonC.  All of the events it generates just clutters up my Alert list. And I really don't want it to be monitoring me when I'm at home.  There should be an option to ignore all of the events from the devices when the alarm is disarmed. It can still stay in its ready state if that is how it has to be but the base station could choose to ignore those events when disarmed or an option set.

New Neighbor

It is also flooding the Alarm History entries. Please allow option to ignore individual sensor from writing to alarm History in Diarm and Armed Home

Thanks.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

I have a senor on all my 14 widows on the main level and three doors.  (I have a two story front hall colonial house.) The bundle I purchased came with two motions.  Do I really need to add them? If so  does anyone have a good suggestion on where to install them. 

(FYI) I used to have an old alarm system that had one in the kitchen corner near a slider facing to the family room and one in the living room facing toward the dining room, I am sure it was because non of the windows had senors on them.  Thanks

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Re: Set Up Tips: Alarm Motion Detector

I mounted a motion sensor in the entrance way at my front door about 7ft off the ground. It doesn't seem to work that well at that height. I can walk from one end of the room to the other if I'm about 20degs off to one side. It detects once I'm about 10ft away if I walk directly at it. I had it positioned just on the mantel across from the door and it would detect movement from about 25ft away at the lower height. It doesn't seem it detects well below the level of the sensor.

Highlighted
Neighbor II

Re: Set Up Tips: Alarm Motion Detector

@mart65 wrote:

I mounted a motion sensor in the entrance way at my front door about 7ft off the ground. It doesn't seem to work that well at that height. I can walk from one end of the room to the other if I'm about 20degs off to one side. It detects once I'm about 10ft away if I walk directly at it. I had it positioned just on the mantel across from the door and it would detect movement from about 25ft away at the lower height. It doesn't seem it detects well below the level of the sensor.

It should work at that height but the biggest thing to make the unit see the movement is that it needs the person to cross its path. So placing it in corners is usually the best way to mount it. Straight on detection is not the best way for it to work. HTH

/* */