Ring Alarm won’t recover from Cellular backup without manual intervention

Marley_Ring, I have been a software and hardware engineer for 40 years, and I cannot overstate this: THERE IS A SOFTWARE BUG IN THE RING BASE THAT PREVENTS IT FROM RECONNECTING TO WIFI **EVER** IN MANY CASES! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE ESCALATE THIS ISSUE! THIS IS **NOT** USER ERROR, AND IS **NOT** A RARE ISSUE! MANY CUSTOMERS ARE HAVING THIS PROBLEM!!

I installed a Ring at my small business some months back, and we have had many power-outages due to construction at the mall. Once the router powers off and the Ring Base goes to Cellular, it is VERY COMMON (at least 50% of the time) that it will NEVER, EVER reconnect to the WiFi once it comes back up. Many other devices, including Ring cameras, reconnect just fine every single time. The Base DOES NOT. Waiting for hours or even days DOES NOT WORK. The only solution is to press the reset button briefly on the Base, after which it finally reconnects. Incidentally, this is NOT DOCUMENTED - the reset button is documented only as holding it down for a factory reset that wipes all settings. Pressing it briefly to re-boot the device should be CLEARLY DOCUMENTED to save your customers frustration and fear of wiping out settings! Furthermore, it is not technically possible to “power cycle” the Base as you mention in your post, since it has a battery backup. You are confusing users by not talking about pressing the Reset button. Unplugging/replugging the power is what people will think you are talking about, but this is what CAUSES the problem, NOT how to fix it! Finally, it is EXTREMELY frustrating when support casually mentions connecting to Ethernet to test or solve problems - this can be very difficult to do. In my case, it’s a remote business with the Base high on the wall very far from the router… talking a teenage worker through buying a 50’ cable, unplugging another critical device from the router, climbing up a ladder, etc. is simply not feasible for me, and I suspect would be a very big hassle for a very large percentage of your users. It is very annoying for you to “highly recommend” this process so casually, like it’s trivial to do.

13 Likes