Ring Alarm - Turn on GE toggle switch when Alarm triggers?

Hello,

I am new to the Ring community. When you say “Add a second account” do you mean adding a new “User” in my existing account, or creating a completely new ring account?

Thanks!

Best to direct your question to BGorgas

I do not use Ring camera’s just Ring Alarm. I only needed to use two-factor authentication once when SimpleCommands was first set up. I am guessing that SC is communicating directly with the Ring hub and NOT the Ring server, since I can now log into SC without 2-factor (though to reply to your question, I needed to log into Ring Community with 2-factor :slight_smile: )

Please let me know is they figure this out I ll be the first one to buy the systems if when trigger connect to and outlet for lights etc
Please share any info thanks

No sadly they will not step up and let any z wave add on work with their alarm system for a real loud alarm or siren let alone the ability to turn on what lights you want to turn on. You have to buy their junk add on lights and alarms. The alarm and their add on Dome siren is only as loud as a small smoke detector which can not be heard outside your house.
… It’s an total failure by Ring … They call themselves an alarm system … With an alarm that will only scare you cat… Dumb

1 Like

It’s interesting that your focus is the alarm noise. I’ve had 3 different security systems and neither ADT or Simplisafe were any louder? I have 2 floodlights that have the speakers with a “siren” and find it quite silly that you can’t have those linked to your alarm… seems like a glaringly easy integration to miss. I also wish the chime had more integration and better support, it’s clearly a very poor afterthought. (I have my chime linked to camera motion outside, snoozing it when I leave for work every morning is a blast…)

I am baffled that we can’t link our smart lights to turn on.

For clarification, are you saying that turning off two-factor is the only way to get simple commands to work?

Please see my post on 03-23-2020 11:03 AM.

You DO NOT have to turn off two-factor authentication.

Some with Ring cameras may choose to…

Is your Simple Commands Ring Alarm - Smarthings integration still working? Everything was fine for three months, then a couple of weeks ago, some of my routines stopped working. Came back for a couple of day’s and haven’t worked now for about 10 days.

Tried to contact SimpleCommands support and also posted in the forums, but it looks like there hasn’t been any life at SimpleCommands for a couple of months…

Also looked into IFTTT integration with Ring Alarm, still doesn’t seem to be any (but Ring Doorbell is fine…)

Hi - when you say a second account do you mean user? Ie, from Devices->Alarm Base Station->Base Station->Shared Users ?

Yes exactly!

1 Like

Thanks for that - its actually a very neat solution!

Have got it set up now - need to do a bit of testing to make sure it behaves how I think it will - but should be just the ticket.

Could you show me what are this commands to do it? Thanks

1. Get an account at simplecommands.com

2. Connect the services you use (Smarthings, Ring) to SimpleCommands see https://simplecommands.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002893093-Adding-Items (I use the web interface, not the android app)

3. Once you have connected your services, you should see all the items (Ring Alarm, motion sensors, smarthings lights etc).

4. Click on menu in the upper left (on web interface) and select routines.

5. Follow the GUI prompts to set up which items you want to be turned on/off based on what device is triggered (i.e. Ring Alarm, motion sensor) and what time/day’s you want the routine to be run

1 Like

This is a needed feature!

Any updates on ring system triggering the ge smart outlet when the alarm triggers? The ring alarm and the dome additional siren are both so quiet that I can barely hear it outside my house… alerting neighbors is one key way to prevent or catch burglars… Why doesn’t ring just add an exterior, loud siren? I live in a rural area, the sheriff won’t arrive for 20-40 minutes, the neighbors would be watching or driving over to my house if they heard an alarm.

@Mauiman I was using a similar setup with you via a SimpleCommands routine. Have you found it to be consistent/reliably responsive to the alarm going off? I’ve found that SimpleCommands sometimes loses its ability to track the alarm status. (It failed to turn the GE Switch on when we ran the alarm for a test with our local fire department.)

It’s frustrating that Ring now can trigger some of the 1st party devices (e.g., cameras and lights) when the alarm is sounding, but not the officially supported 3rd party devices like the switches.

I’ll re-invigorate this thread… RING- you want to tout great service and features, but you are failing on the smart home integration. This thread is over a year old and you have yet to address this. I just bought a $250 ring system that is about to get sent back. Vera already gives me the ability to monitor the property. I want advanced features rolled in. Like others have stated, I want the ability to turn on C by GE lights when the alarm is tripped. Even with Alexa integration, I can only turn on lights based on Home Armed, Away, and Disarmed. Honestly, that’s pretty useless. Are you going to start integrating more features or am I returning the system?

1 Like

Hi there, neighbors! We are always working to add to and improve on our devices and features. At this time there is not any more information other than what has been shared in this thread by the Community team and other neighbors. Since our last response here, we have created this Feature Request Board. This way other neighbors can share their interest in one place, that we can organize and share with our teams here. Consider the feedback in this thread received by our teams, as well. :slight_smile:

Here we are over a year later and it is still not possible to create a routine that triggers when the alarm is activated (not armed or disarmed but triggered!). Such a great system with such a major flaw and it appears Ring could not care less. You continue to force us to use an absurd hack to do what you should have as a native feature. I know, you created a “feature request” list. It appears to simply be a method to placate customers. FIX THIS PLEASE!

1 Like

Then add it already.

Seriously, why can’t my Leviton smart lights that “work with Ring” be turned on in the event alarm is triggered??? I’m fine with programming the routine in Alexa but there is no ALARM STATE for the trigger. So…I can tell my Ring cameras to automatically start recording during Alarm State but I can’t turn on my lights??? This isn’t an edge case issue, it should be TABLE STAKES for every alarm system to turn on lights when alarm goes off. #1: I want intruder to know it’s lights/camera/action to scare them off and #2: I don’t want to wake up on the dark completely disoriented with lights off. CMON RING, GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER!!!

1 Like