cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ring Alarm - Turn on GE toggle switch when Alarm triggers?

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Ring Alarm - Turn on GE toggle switch when Alarm triggers?

Not sure, but it looks like most of the "works with Ring" lighting products are just binary control from the ring app.  Is there any way to have the toggle switches or smart outlets turn on when ring is alarming?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Re: Ring Alarm - Turn on GE toggle switch when Alarm triggers?

I have this working with SimpleCommands integration..

SimpleCommands can sing when ring alarm is in "alarm" state, then it just turns on my lights.

View solution in original post

36 REPLIES 36
Highlighted
Community Manager

The GE toggles, switches, and outlets integration includes the standard features such as scheduling, custom scenes, and remote control. At this time, they are not able to be triggered by the Alarm, but this sounds like an excellent feature request. I'll be sure to share this with the team!

Like my answer? Accept it as a solution (click on the 'Accepted Solution' button next to reply). Learn more about the Community, here.
Highlighted
New Neighbor II

I have two GE switches connected to Ring. They work fine, but I seem to only have the ability to turn them on and off manually in the app. They can't be added to groups or activated by motion through linked devices. And they don't show up in Alexa. Am I doing something wrong?
Highlighted
Community Manager

Sounds like you are doing everything correctly. The Ring app currently features the remote toggling of GE smart switches. While the GE devices are capable of scheduling, scenes and voice control, these features are not yet avaialble in the Ring app. I apologize for any confusion with my previous response, I have shared your interest in these features with the team here.

Like my answer? Accept it as a solution (click on the 'Accepted Solution' button next to reply). Learn more about the Community, here.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

@Marley_Ring, can you tell when this features will be enabled? It's very basic to change state of a smart switch based on triggers (alarm, ring-bell, time of the day, etc).

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hey @fernacolo! To get more out of your GE smart toggles, switches, etc, look into Alexa routines which will allow them to respond to the time of day, if a Doorbell is rung or senses motion for instance. An Alexa device is not required for this as the Alexa app is capable of carrying out these routines.

At this time there is no feature which changes the state of the switch based off of the Alarm mode, nor can a routine be made based off of security state (Disarmed, Home, Away). Our team is constantly working on features like this, and we are always looking to improve on smart home automation. I've shared the ongoing interest in this feature with the team Smiley Happy

Highlighted
New Neighbor

I've been told by your support employees that 'Yes' it will turn the lights on when the alarm goes off and then others say 'No way'... bottom line ALEXA people also cannot get the GE smart switch to work other than to manually turn on/off.  come on guys, this is less than 50 lines of code to write to have this switch turn on when the alarm goes off.

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Can we use IFTTT to access the GE switch ?

If IFTTT can see the GE switch that is connected to Ring-Alarm, then we can build some routines around that.  

I'm looking to connect IFTTT with Ring-Alarm and Date/Time so that it will turn on the GE outlet (via Ring-Alarm) at sunset.

Ring-Alarm team - Please advise:

1 - Can IFTTT see what Ring-Alarm is in "alarm" ?

2 - Can IFTTT control a GE switch that is connected to Ring-Alarm.

Thanks

Brian

Highlighted
New Neighbor

This would be most helpfull...any word yet on this?
New Neighbor

Excuse my ignorance, but is there a way to group and schedule events with ring?