Retrofit kit

I was reading about the new product coming out. I have a Vector 2000 wired system that was in the house when I bought it. I have never had it connected to the outside world. It has been unplugged for 10 years. I plugged it back in and all 4 door sensors still work. So do the 2 motion detectors.

Is this system able to work with the retrofit kit? Does the current system stay powered up and the new bridge just tap in to the existing wiring? Or does the new bridge connect to the existing wiring and the old system powered off?

Debating whether I just go all new or a combination of retrofit and new.

I currently have a Ring doorbell and 2 external cameras.

Thanks

David.

1 Like

The retrofit kit is not out yet, but from what I have read you connect the old sensor wires directly to the bridge, the old system is not powered or used. But if you only have 6 old sensors, I would go all new.

1 Like

Hi neighbor, sorry for our previous misunderstanding! We went back and talked to the team, who clarified that every home and wired alarm installation is unique. Therefore, a zone may be one or more sensors. The Retrofit Alarm Kit connects zones, and then allows you to arm and monitor the zone – similar to how you would arm and monitor a single wireless Ring Alarm Contact Sensor. You can then set an Entry and Exit Delay to the zone if it has a door on it. If you have further questions, please check out our Retrofit Alarm Kit Support page, here.

@DKlemm wrote:
I was reading about the new product coming out. I have a Vector 2000 wired system that was in the house when I bought it. I have never had it connected to the outside world. It has been unplugged for 10 years. I plugged it back in and all 4 door sensors still work. So do the 2 motion detectors.

Is this system able to work with the retrofit kit? Does the current system stay powered up and the new bridge just tap in to the existing wiring? Or does the new bridge connect to the existing wiring and the old system powered off?

Debating whether I just go all new or a combination of retrofit and new.

I currently have a Ring doorbell and 2 external cameras.

Thanks

David.

The retail price of the retrofit kit is $200. Ring contacts retail for $20, not sure motions but a bit more. You probably are better off getting new 10 or 14 piece kit instead.

I was eagerly awaiting the retrofit kit to cut the link with my current monitored system. I have a pretty standard set up with door sensors as as well as motion sensors and break glass sensors. There is also an internal siren

Unfortunately, the kit does not work as I was hoping expected (similar to Safe by hub6).

If I’m reading the doc correctly, Ring’s only works with contact sensors. I could not integrate the motion detectors, break glass sensor, or the internal siren. I’d also have to add the ring keypads, which is one of the things I was trying to avoid, since I don’t want to keep both legacy and new keypads. I really wanted to like the ring offering, but it seems to be a lof ot work just to get integration with the break sensors.

So, If I like the Safe solution so much (which can be inegrated with existing keypads, why not just get that? Currently it only works with some DSC or honewell systems. I have a DMP box.

This is really a drag. I was literally waiting for the past two months for the ring retrofit solution, but its just not comprehensive enough. Mostly, I’d still have to double up keypads, motion detection sensors, and sirens.

@bradbort wrote:

I was eagerly awaiting the retrofit kit to cut the link with my current monitored system. I have a pretty standard set up with door sensors as as well as motion sensors and break glass sensors. There is also an internal siren

Unfortunately, the kit does not work as I was hoping expected (similar to Safe by hub6).

If I’m reading the doc correctly, Ring’s only works with contact sensors. I could not integrate the motion detectors, break glass sensor, or the internal siren. I’d also have to add the ring keypads, which is one of the things I was trying to avoid, since I don’t want to keep both legacy and new keypads. I really wanted to like the ring offering, but it seems to be a lof ot work just to get integration with the break sensors.

So, If I like the Safe solution so much (which can be inegrated with existing keypads, why not just get that? Currently it only works with some DSC or honewell systems. I have a DMP box.

This is really a drag. I was literally waiting for the past two months for the ring retrofit solution, but its just not comprehensive enough. Mostly, I’d still have to double up keypads, motion detection sensors, and sirens.

AFAIK, the retrofit kit was always announced as a solution to exapnd a Ring Alarm system. The basic kit includes a motion sensor, a keypad and the brains which includes the siren. You can get great deals at Amazon or Costco for expanded kits with two keypads or two motion.

The retrofit kit works great for those that have over 10 windows already covered with wired sensors. But you still need to consider if replacing your existing solution is the best way to go. Glass sensors are something that is still missing, but an Echo can be used in the meantime until something comes out.

Why do you want to switch from a system that works? You are the best person to decide. Cost factors, use of functionality are probably what you should consider. How much does it cost you for monitoring per month? Does it uses copper lines, or do you have cellular and/or internet connectiviity? Are the devices under any type of warranty?

Ring’s professional monitoring is $100 a year which is great if you already have a Ring doorbell or Ring cameras… And this includes cellular backup and warranty on all Ring devices.

PS: I’m just a happy customer.

1 Like