Retrofit Kit Bypass

We have an existing wired alarm system that includes 8 casement windows for which Ring Alarm sensors won’t work due to the size of the sensors. One of the casement windows needs to be bypassed from time to time at night when armed and we’re at home, but I understand that to bypass that one window I have to bypass all sensors connected to the Retrofit Kit. If we connect that one window to a separate, second Retrofit Kit can we bypass the second Retrofit Kit separately?

@DigitalDave wrote:

We have an existing wired alarm system that includes 8 casement windows for which Ring Alarm sensors won’t work due to the size of the sensors. One of the casement windows needs to be bypassed from time to time at night when armed and we’re at home, but I understand that to bypass that one window I have to bypass all sensors connected to the Retrofit Kit. If we connect that one window to a separate, second Retrofit Kit can we bypass the second Retrofit Kit separately?

The Retrofit kit can handle up to 8 zones. Each zone can be a single door or window, or can be a group of windows, depending how they were initially wired.

If each window was wired individually, then you can set each one as a zone, and hence control it individually. If it was part of a zone already (ie wired in series with other windows) then all of those in the group are treated as one. In fact, the old alarm system would have not been able to handle them individually.

Instructions say if you need more than 8 zones, then you would need another retrofit kit.

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360036012151-Ring-Retrofit-Alarm-Kit-Installation-Instructions

My issue is more how the bypass is implemented. The Retrofit Kit instructions indicate the entire kit and all wired zones connected to it are bypassed as a single unit:

“You can enable and disable zones on your Retrofit Alarm Kit as needed using the Ring app. A disabled zone will not be armed when you arm your Ring Alarm in Home or Away Mode. If you need to temporarily bypass a door or window that uses a wired contact sensor, you will need to bypass all zones on the Retrofit Alarm Kit. As an alternate option, you can also disable that zone within the Ring app, and enable it when you no longer need to bypass the sensor.” It seems the last word should have been “kit” instead of “sensor”.

I need to know whether a second Retrofit Kit can by bypassed independent of the first one, or if all Retrofit kits get bypassed as a group.