Range Extender - How do I know if its connecting to Base or another range extender

Hello:

I have a 3000 sq foot home, one level. The base in centrally located. I have 3 range extenders setup like this basic Diagram. All extenders are Gen 2. All sensors seem to be working from all extenders.

Extender 3 ------Extender 2 -------- Base Station ------- Extender 1

Extender 3 is in a garage, more challenging environment but is line of sight via one door to Extender 2 at a distance of 20 feet away. The base is through three walls and 30 feet away.

The symptoms I am having is that the extender in the garage shows weak signal. Today the extender 2 showed weak signal.

I go to the advanced options, use the reconnect function and press the round button on the extender connects and the poor signal indicator goes away. The Garage Extender was a replacement from Ring as the previous one had the same symptoms. So, I don;t think its Extender 3 at fault. I also have a new in box extender. After looking at the specification, I don;t think I need 4 extenders to solve this, do I?

Questions:

1. How can I confirm that Extender 3 is connecting to Extender 2 and not the base station?

2. Any suggestions from the community to keep the extendors from showing weal signal when they are only 20 feet away from another extender and 50 feet from the base unit.

Thanks in advance,

Hi @Brumey. Thanks for sharing a lot of detail regarding your RIng Alarm setup and what you’re experiencing. While Range Extenders can be chained together the way you’re currently using them, there’s no way to force a specific Sensor or Range Extender to connect to each other. All of the Ring Alarm components will periodically check in with the Base Station, and they will connect to either the Base directly or whichever Range Extender provides the best connection.

As for the Range Extenders experiencing a weak signal, it’s not always the distance that could be the problem. Different building materials or objects in your home could be causing interference with the signal, which can result in the signal registering as weak. This is a common problem around having any Sensors or Range Extenders in the garage, as there is oftentimes a lot of metal in that area which can cause interference.

For a concern like this, it would likely be best for you to follow up with our support team directly. They’ll be able to take a look at your account and devices to help you ensure that everything has a strong signal and is working properly. You can give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Why not show in the app how the range extenders network is working? Who is connected to who? I can’ believe that your best solution is to call someone in support to see which extender is connected to which. Come on, guys !!!

2 Likes