Open Window Magnet Gen 2 Compatible?

I only see Open Window Magents available for 1st generation on the Ring Shop. Are these also compatible with 2nd generation Window sensors?

I would assume they are because it’s just a magnet but wanted to make sure before I buy a bunch.

Thanks.

1 Like

Glad you asked @nickyg! Your assumption is correct. The magnets can certainly be used with each sensor generation, and both generations can be used together with one Ring Alarm system as they are also backwards compatible. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

@nickyg ,

As @Marley_Ring said, you can indeed use the Gen1 “OpenWindow Magnets” on your Gen2 Contact-sensors. Since the main difference between the Gen1 contact-sensor and the Gen2 sensor is size & bulk, you might not like the size & appearance of using a Gen1 magnet with your current Gen2 sensors. So another option that you might want to consider is the smaller Ring “Slim Magnet” version. Here’s the magnet lengths:

<u><strong>Length size comparison</strong></u>:

Gen1 magnet  :   **3.2 inches**

Gen2 magnet  :   **2.09 inches**   (currently not available separately)

"Slim" magnet :   **1.27 inches**

Either the Gen1 or the Slim magnet will both work with your Gen2. They are priced the same. So, it’s just a matter of your personal preference.

For “Slim Magnet”: Dimensions 1.27 in. x 0.40 in. x 0.20 in.

https://shop.ring.com/products/alarm-slim-magnet

For Gen1 magnet: Dimensions 3.2 in. x 0.5 in. x 0.68 in.

https://shop.ring.com/products/window-magnet?_pos=2&_sid=6c8c224c0&_ss=r

I hope you find this information useful :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am so annoyed and disappointed. Purchased 25+ 2nd generation sensors for all my doors and windows, and installed them. Then spent $200 more to order the Open Window Magnets so I could arm my windows when they are raised for ventilation, using the ventilation lock feature on my windows.

I have spent over an hour searching the Ring.com website for an installation video/fact sheet for Open Window Magnets, then over another hour on the phone with multiple Ring.com customer reps & a supervisor, who don’t have any idea how they work. ALL I WANTED WAS A VIDEO OR FACT SHEET ON HOW TO INSTALL the Open Window Magnet.

With no help from Ring.com website or customer service phone reps, I can only assume that because the Open Window Magnets are 1st generation – they are too long in size to work correctly with 2nd generation sensors. It appears because the Open Window Magnet is too long, it doesn’t have enough clearance from the 2nd generation sensor, to work correctly. I wish I could get an answer, but no where on the website, or from talking to customer service reps, has anyone been able to tell me.

It’s disappointing and a rip off that I had to PAY EXTRA to purchase Open Window Magnets in the first place – they should be included with the sensors. Then, to only sell 1st generation compatabile Open Window Magnets that don’t appear to work with 2nd generation sensors is ridiculous.

All the sudden, my switch from 30 year ADT home alarm to Ring.com has been completely unsatisfactory. Disappointed, annoyed and tired of trying to get help.

Hi, I would to try to help with this. But first, what is an open window magnet? Do you have a link that shows what it is? Both 1st gen and 2nd gen window and door sensors should work as a pair. But a magnet is just that, a magnet. I’m going to try to see if I can find what you’re talking about on Ring’s site now since you’ve tweaked my curiosity on it. Let me know, maybe I can help.

Ok, I did some research on this. Now I understand what you’re trying to do. I have a similar setup with dual magnets so I can get air with the windows slightly open and still have it alarmed.
The old magnets should work with the new 2nd gen sensors. It’s all about placement next to the sensor. You may need to adjust the magnet up or down until you find the spot you need. There is also the slim magnets that may work better as well and look better too.
I’ve seen others online just take apart the magnet from it’s housing and either glue it next to the sensor or double-sided taped it. Also the 2nd gen sensors have a greater range between the sensor and magnet then the first gen does. But the magnet is still the same regardless of which gen they are. The housing is the only difference. Hopefully this helps. I wasn’t able to find any videos anywhere showing the use of 2nd gen sensors and 1st gen magnets.
Myself I’d use the slim magnets since it would just look better or pop out the magnet so it’s even smaller. Like you’ve seen there is no 2nd gen open magnet available yet. But the only difference is how it will look. I hope I was able to help in some way.

2 Likes

@LisaMLas wrote:

I am so annoyed and disappointed. Purchased 25+ 2nd generation sensors for all my doors and windows, and installed them. Then spent $200 more to order the Open Window Magnets so I could arm my windows when they are raised for ventilation, using the ventilation lock feature on my windows.

I have spent over an hour searching the Ring.com website for an installation video/fact sheet for Open Window Magnets, then over another hour on the phone with multiple Ring.com customer reps & a supervisor, who don’t have any idea how they work. ALL I WANTED WAS A VIDEO OR FACT SHEET ON HOW TO INSTALL the Open Window Magnet.

With no help from Ring.com website or customer service phone reps, I can only assume that because the Open Window Magnets are 1st generation – they are too long in size to work correctly with 2nd generation sensors. It appears because the Open Window Magnet is too long, it doesn’t have enough clearance from the 2nd generation sensor, to work correctly. I wish I could get an answer, but no where on the website, or from talking to customer service reps, has anyone been able to tell me.

It’s disappointing and a rip off that I had to PAY EXTRA to purchase Open Window Magnets in the first place – they should be included with the sensors. Then, to only sell 1st generation compatabile Open Window Magnets that don’t appear to work with 2nd generation sensors is ridiculous.

All the sudden, my switch from 30 year ADT home alarm to Ring.com has been completely unsatisfactory. Disappointed, annoyed and tired of trying to get help.

Hello @LisaMLas ,

General placement information with pictures:

https://youtu.be/OdQYfwdIB-U

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360043818431-Tips-for-installing-your-Contact-Sensor-2nd-gen-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8Ygwl2LMzA

Unique Solution for Partial Open:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BDdOu9IfbM

I hope this helps :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks to all who shared information and links. However, I still can’t visualize where/how to place 1st generation Open Window Magnets so they work with 2nd generation Contact Sensors. Any specific videos/diagrams/photos?

1 Like