Newbie questions about children, power outages, false alarms

I have purchased but not yet installed a Ring Alarm system. There seem to be some big unanswered questions…

Children:

* How common is it for young children to trigger a false alarm?

* Instructions say everyone in the household should know the verbal password. Includes young children?

Automatic contact of emergency services

* Are services automatically contacted simply because I can’t be reached?

* What if I’m out of cell phone range or not near my phone?

Power outage

* At our location power outages (sometimes planned, sometimes not) take out both WiFi and cell phone service. So even if Ring’s cellular backup works (which is doubtful in our location, as coverage is bad), I guess we won’t get a call since our own phones won’t be working. What happens then?

I’m surprised these issues are not more plainly addressed, but I appreciate anyone’s answer to these points. Thank you!

I have purchased but not yet installed a Ring Alarm system. There seem to be some big unanswered questions…

Children:

* How common is it for young children to trigger a false alarm? I small child could set off the motion detector if active. Also if the child opens a door with a sensor it will go off.

* Instructions say everyone in the household should know the verbal password. Includes young children?
The password is to use the alarm when they call. So, if someone answers the phone, that person should know it. Otherwise they should not be answering the phone.

Automatic contact of emergency services

* Are services automatically contacted simply because I can’t be reached? In the settings you can have it set to call you first before sending police if the alarm gets triggered. If you don’t answer they won’t be called to your residence.
But if you press the panic button or sos, they will show up regardless.

* What if I’m out of cell phone range or not near my phone?
If you can’t get to your phone or if anyone is on the contact list also can’t be reached. The action taking will be as I stated above.

Power outage

* At our location power outages (sometimes planned, sometimes not) take out both WiFi and cell phone service. So even if Ring’s cellular backup works (which is doubtful in our location, as coverage is bad), I guess we won’t get a call since our own phones won’t be working. What happens then?
The base station has power for 24 hrs. The cell signal will work if you have coverage. If not then the cell won’t work. Nothing can be done about this.
As for Wifi. I place my modem and router on a battery backup that can run for almost 12 hrs or more. This way I never lose connection for short time periods. But batteries only last so long. This is true with any alarm system. I also have a generator that powers my house if needed. But if I run out if gas. Power goes off. All you can do is have a backup plan.
Hope this helps.

I’m surprised these issues are not more plainly addressed, but I appreciate anyone’s answer to these points. Thank you!

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time to answer all my questions. Very much appreciated.

1 Like

You’re very welcome. Glad to help.

1 Like