Mounting 2nd Generation contact sensor to front door

Has anyone run into an issue mounting a 2nd generation contact sensor to the front door? My frame(may not be the correct term but referring to the area between the door and the molding around the door frame) is too deep (2 3/4") to mount a magnet/sensor on the door and another on the front of the molding. I tried mounting the magnet to the inside of the frame between the door and the molding, however the gap between the frame and door when it swings open is not wide enough, and the door hits the magnet. I thought about mounting the sensor to the bottom of the door and the magnet on the threshold but figured it would only be a matter of time before it was knocked off. Anyone else run into this issue and come up with a good solution?

@Cmacibor wrote:

Has anyone run into an issue mounting a 2nd generation contact sensor to the front door? My frame(may not be the correct term but referring to the area between the door and the molding around the door frame) is too deep (2 3/4") to mount a magnet/sensor on the door and another on the front of the molding. I tried mounting the magnet to the inside of the frame between the door and the molding, however the gap between the frame and door when it swings open is not wide enough, and the door hits the magnet. I thought about mounting the sensor to the bottom of the door and the magnet on the threshold but figured it would only be a matter of time before it was knocked off. Anyone else run into this issue and come up with a good solution?

Hello @Cmacibor ,

Thanks for attaching that picture! Dang that is a tight space between the door’s edge and the perpendicular side of the door frame! I’m not sure, but it looks like the gap space is a tiny bit more larger at the top of the door’s edge, as compared to the side of the door’s edge. What you need is a thinner magnet to fit, mounting the magnet to the inside of the frame between the door and the frame molding.

Any of the magnets of the Gen1, Gen2, or the “Slim magnet” will work with any Ring Contact sensor. As a matter of fact, just about any strong-enough magnet can work too (you could buy very thin magnets) to fit in the tight space between your door and the frame. Looking at your picture, you probably should elect to use the Ring “Slim Magnet” , and since it is even smaller than the magnet of your Gen2, just move the Slim magnet around to find where it will close the reed-switch on the sensor, which should be about centered on the Gen2 sensor portion.

For “Slim Magnet”: Dimensions 1.27 in. long x 0.40 in. high x 0.20 in. thin

https://shop.ring.com/products/alarm-slim-magnet

• You could mount the magnetic Contact sensor part on the upper portion of the door, and then the “Slim Magnet” (or any thin strong magnet) on the top of the door frame that is perpendicular to the door (not front-facing part of the door frame), in the gap space between the top of the door and the frame. You current magnet part of your Gen2 is about 1/2-inch thick (0.5in) and the “Slim Magnet” is half that at just under 1/4-inch!!

• As I said before, you can also practically use any magnet that is sufficiently strong enough to close the sensor’s ‘reed-switch’. So you could find and purchase a thin magnet. Or even open your current Gen2 magnet case and ‘double-sided’ tape (or screws) to mount only the magnet base without it’s plastic cover casing. This would reduce it’s thickness a little bit more. Again, just make sure you mount it where it does close the sensor’s internal switch. I’ve attached two pictures to give you an idea what is inside the magnet’s case (these are Gen2 Contact Sensors in pictures). Also, here are some links that may give you other alternative mounting ideas to stop the door itself from hitting the magnet part. These links also show difference in size.

For seeing how thin a “Slim” magnet really is, this Youtube video link ( around the 2-minute part) shows it really is small and THIN. The video also shows some unique solution for Partial Open or to give you some ideas. It shows the “Slim” magnet and notice where he sets it to close ‘reed-switch’ on Gen1 sensor (although you do not own the larger Gen1. Note the Gen1 "reed-switch is not centered, but rather more to one end). Your Gen2 sensor’s ‘reed-switch’ is pretty much centered:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BDdOu9IfbM

Other links that may give you some ideas:

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360043818431-Tips-for-installing-your-Contact-Sensor-2nd-…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8Ygwl2LMzA

But I do think the Ring’s “Slim Magnet” is indeed thin enough, mounted to the inside of the frame between the door and the frame molding, to allow the door (with the Contact Sensor part mounted on the door) to swing open without hitting the magnet. Plus, the “Slim Magnet” would provide a more professional clean look too. I hope this helps or gives you some ideas on how to tackle your issue. :slight_smile:

1 Like