cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Questions about Amazon Alexa devices and your Ring? Post them in our new Amazon Alexa board!

Motion sensor alerts only for away mode

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Motion sensor alerts only for away mode

Hello! Just got Ring Alarm and so far, I'm loving how simple the system is to install and use. There is one thing that I'm trying to figure out. 

For the motion sensor, I wanted to see how I can activate the motion alerts only for the away mode. I know I can turn the alerts on but then I get tons of alerts when we're home, etc. 

I want to have this kind of set up just in case someone is able to come into the home without tripping any of the door and window sensors. I know that once the motion sensor is tripped and the alarm is in away mode, it will start the count down before sounding the alarm but I'm still looking to get an alert regardless. Can you assist? 

Thank you so much!

-Edwin

21 REPLIES 21
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Re: Motion sensor alerts only for away mode

Just go into your devices. Under each motion sensor open the mode settings and disable it for home mode... picture attached.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Thank you for your thoughts. Yes, I thought this would have done this too and I tried this when we first got it installed but for some reason, the motion alerts still come on when we're home. 

I think what I'm looking for is a setting where the motion alerts don't come on when it's "disabled" instead of being "home". When it's disabled and we're home (but the alarm is not set to "home"), it still send alerts to our phone. 

What do you think? Any workarounds? Thanks!

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hey @Gemajean , this would make for an excellent feature request! At this time, motion alerts can only be enabled or disabled, and cannot be automated or set based on Alarm Mode. It can still be manually toggled to be on or off, each time you are "home" or "away", but not preset as a rule. I'll be happy to share this wish with the team Smiley Happy

Like my answer? Accept it as a solution (click on the 'Accepted Solution' button next to reply). Learn more about the Community, here.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Thank you for sharing it with the team and hopefully this can be implemented in a software or app update. When we come home, we always just leave the system as disabled and then activate it to "home" mode when we go to bed. My guess is that a lot of other users may do the same thing. 

Thank you again for your consideration. We're just getting used to the system after having ADT for 20 years and so far, we're very impressed. Great job guys! 

Highlighted
New Neighbor III

I know I can turn the "Motion Alerts" on & off.

But, even if I turn the "Motion Alerts" off, the Motion Detector is still detecting Motion & I get a sound on the Base Station - even when the Alarm System is "disarmed".

Isn't this depleting the battery when it constantly detects motion?

Or, am I just doing something wrong?

I don't want to have to constantly "disable" the Motion Detector.

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Don you need to disable chirp tones by setting it to none for each motion device.

Otherwise it will make a noise every time it’s activated
Highlighted
New Neighbor III

THANKS AmpSkillz

But, I assume the Motion Detector is still detecting motion?

What is the reasoning for the Motion Detector detecting motion even when the Alarm System is disarmed?

Isn't that depleting the battery in the Motion Detector if it is detecting motion even when the Alarm System is disarmed?

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Hi GemmaJean

I’m sorry I misunderstood I thought you were trying to disable motion sensors for home mode versus away mode.

To answer your question correctly what you were asking for is kind of pointless. Why would you need to receive motion alerts for each and every device while in away mode and not receive them when you’re In home mode.

My point is that when you’re away, your alarm is going to go off if any motion occurs. so you will get an alert that the alarm is going off. At that point you can see inside the app which sensor has set it off.

You should simply disable motion alerts altogether
Highlighted
New Neighbor III

Why would I want the Motion Detector to detect "my" motion when I am home & the Alarm System is disarmed?

I already have it to not detect motion when armed in the Home mode.