Motion sensor alerts only for away mode

I know I can turn the “Motion Alerts” on & off.

But, even if I turn the “Motion Alerts” off, the Motion Detector is still detecting Motion & I get a sound on the Base Station - even when the Alarm System is “disarmed”.

Isn’t this depleting the battery when it constantly detects motion?

Or, am I just doing something wrong?

I don’t want to have to constantly “disable” the Motion Detector.

Don you need to disable chirp tones by setting it to none for each motion device.

Otherwise it will make a noise every time it’s activated

THANKS AmpSkillz

But, I assume the Motion Detector is still detecting motion?

What is the reasoning for the Motion Detector detecting motion even when the Alarm System is disarmed?

Isn’t that depleting the battery in the Motion Detector if it is detecting motion even when the Alarm System is disarmed?

1 Like

Hi GemmaJean

I’m sorry I misunderstood I thought you were trying to disable motion sensors for home mode versus away mode.

To answer your question correctly what you were asking for is kind of pointless. Why would you need to receive motion alerts for each and every device while in away mode and not receive them when you’re In home mode.

My point is that when you’re away, your alarm is going to go off if any motion occurs. so you will get an alert that the alarm is going off. At that point you can see inside the app which sensor has set it off.

You should simply disable motion alerts altogether

Why would I want the Motion Detector to detect “my” motion when I am home & the Alarm System is disarmed?

I already have it to not detect motion when armed in the Home mode.

1 Like

Don you are correct it will still be on and working. Fortunately even under those conditions the batteries last for a very long time if they are fresh.

While you make a great point and logically we should be able to turn them off if we want to, I don’t think any of the sensors have some sort of on board on off switch.

Honestly I don’t think it would save much battery, I am fairly sure they use as much power wether detecting motions or not. Only way to save battery power would to be turning it off completely but then there would be no way to turn it back on remotely And being Wireless is the kind it’s thing

1 Like

Will there be a feature release any time soon to disable alerting/monitoring of motion sensor when the alarm is ste in disarmed mode?

6 Likes

I agree. We just installed ours last week. I am constantly get text notifications that there were movement in rooms when the alarm is set to DISARMED. I have recently tiurned off the Motion Alerts and that solved that problem. But like the IP stated, why is there not a place to enable/disable monitoring of those devices when the mode is set to DISARMED?

3 Likes

All sensors in disable mode are turned off by default. You can read about the modes here.
https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005312623-Arming-Disarming-and-Setting-Modes-on-your-Ring-Alarm

1 Like

It’s a straigt forward concern that you should understand if you know your product. It’s very anoying to say the least that you have the system disarmed and to still be getting motion alerts on your phone. There is the option which allows you to select which sensors that you want to monitor in home & armed mode. Even if you deselect the motion sensors and leave just the door contacts, you keep getting alerts. It feels like there is a feature which does not work as it is supposed to. It just doesn’t make sense to have to bve receiving alerts when your alarm is not in monitored mode. I’ve had basic alarms which disabled this. I should not have to go in an manually disable receiving alerts each time. Please improve on this!!!

4 Likes

For me, it does NOT make sense to have motion sensor alerts on at all, ever, because when in away mode, my alarm system is monitoring them and will alert me if the alarm goes off, along with the reason…I don’t also need a motion detector alert in this situation. Keep it simple.

1 Like

@DonC is exactly right. This is an obvious feature that is logical and necessary.

If the system is disarmed…

Having it detect you or your family’s motion adds no good security benefit, wastes the battery, and creates too many unnecessary events.

It really depends on where you put the motion sensor. If you are like most families, in a main area is most-likely where it’s going.

If you have it setup in a garage or some room that doesn’t get many motion events, it might make sense to want to know about all motion in that area.

This needs to be a feature within the app - disable motion detection when system set to “Disarmed”.

9 Likes

I completely agree that having motion alerts on your phone go off in “Disarmed” mode is stupid and a waste of battery. I just moved and purchased this Ring security system and do like it with the exception of the motion detector. I have uninstalled the motion and will not use it unless they fix this issue. I had Xfinity Home Security at my old house and at least they gave you the option not to have motion active while disarmed. The only time I want motion on is when I set it to away mode

I assume that the people of “Ring” do not read these forums, because if so, I think they would have made the update by now.

3 Likes

Hello,
Very simple and straightforward issue/problem was raised it’s pitty that no objective response (let alone solution) was provided for such a long time. It is obvious that motion detectors just do not communicate with base station when in home mode but keep bothering us with alerts. Bottom line is that unlike other detectors it is less intelligent.

Wish you good health and keep safe.

1 Like

Actually, with the new app update, it looks like they added this feature to allow you to set the motion alerts and monitoring more spedifically when in Home or Away mode.

For us, we went into the Mode Settings in the specific motion detector and was able to select how we wanted the motion to detect. In the new app update, you can select the motion to arm and monitor in both home or away mode.

This is what we wanted to achieve as now we have more options in how we wanted the motion sensor to alert and monitor. Thanks Ring for listening and always improving! :slight_smile:

1 Like

So the latest release fixed it for home and away, but still keep getting excessive notification from motion detector in the disarmed more. When you read on one of the Ring help pages it states:

Disarmed: When Disarmed, no sensors in your home will be monitored and no alerts will be sent to the monitoring station although the system will still be powered on and functioning.

That sounds great, but as many others have stated in this thread and I will attest, it simply doesn’t work this way (LOL had to pause writing for a second to view the motion detetor notification I just received while in disarmed mode)

If you go to devices and select the motion detector then go to mode settings, there are choices for monitoring in both home and away mode, simply add one there for disarmed to allow monitoring to be turned off. SINCE THE SYSTEM DOES NOT WORK AS SUPPOSEDLY DESIGNED.

Or actually fix the system to work as it supposedly should!

3 Likes

Here is what it says:

Disarmed: When Disarmed, no sensors in your home will be monitored and no alerts will be sent to the monitoring station although the system will still be powered on and functioning.

However you’ve only bolded the part that says no alerts will be sent which isn’t fully what it says. It continues and says “to the monitoring station…”. The key words are to the station and no sensors monitored. It does say they will be powered on and functioning. All of that is true. It doesn’t say that no alerts will be sent to anyone at all. So while we 100% need this feature to disable notifications/alerts when the system is disarmed, their description is actually how it works even if it’s worded in a very odd way.

That said, what they wrote is not very helpful, because obviously we all expect that if the system is disarmed, that no alerts from the sensors would be sent to the monitoring station, trip the alarm, etc. If it didn’t work that way it would be pretty chaotic every time the motion sensor detected someone and they called you or sent the police! haha.

In the end, they MUST add a feature that allows for the notifications (email, push) to be disabled BY THE MODE. So if you are in Disarmed mode, you can have the option to have no alerts at all for motion or other individual sensors. That said, we SHOULD be able to keep those alerts for devices of our choosing as well so that I can have my doors alert me but not the motion sensors when the system is disabled. I just installed my Ring after years of being with ADT and although I was paying a crazy amount, their system had this ability and more with custom alerting. To Ring: PLEASE add this absolutely required feature.

10 Likes

Well I came here for the same problem lol, instead of doing useless LED light notifications that we don’t need… This is easy, simple and common sense DISARMED = ALL DISABLE
For me Home option for the sensor is Ignore when armed and I’m still getting the notifications

1 Like

I would love this feature as well. I want the cameras to record motion when I’m Home mode but not send alerts. The record AND send alerts when I’m away.

4 Likes

Are you talking about:

Devices > Alarm Base Station > select a “Motion Detector” device > Mode Settings …

You see Away mode and Home mode with toggle switches?

That’s not an updated feature or a result of Ring “listening and always improving.” That has been there.

The light still flashes due to movement and therefore records an unnecessary event while wasting the battery when the system is disarmed.