Motion notification during delayed exit

Hello. I just replaced my iSmartAlarm (piece of junk) with this ring alarm and camera. It is much better, but I am trying to tweak it to work the way I want. Currently, if I set it to away mode, and I walk out the house, I get a notification on my phone for motion detection while I’m walking out the door. Is there a way to make it not detect motion until after the 30 seconds so I don’t get this notification? Thanks for any input!

Change the motion sensor to entryway. Then you can set a delay for it so you can exit.

Also set your door sensor to Main door. This will give you a delay when you leave via the door as well.

I just realized it’s the camera that’s setting off the “motion detected” push notification during my exit. It would send a jingle sound on my phone which i figured out how to disable, but if the camera gets a glimpse of me while exiting, i get the push notification. It’s not the worst thing in the world but kind of annoying. Should I modify your advice and change the camera to entryway?

The cameras are not connected to the alarm and will not set it off. There is no delay with the cameras. You can set a schedule for the cameras to not notify you of motion. Mine are set to not notify me during the day due to activity but are on at night when no one should be in sight.

2 Likes

My camera is linked to the alarm. The motion detected will set off the alarm, after the 30 seconds to leave. However, before the 30 seconds to leave, it will send a notification for any motion. I suppose I could separate the camera and not integrate it, but then it would always be recording whenever someone walks by and not just when the alarm is triggered, which is what I would prefer. I could also try to put the camera or keypad in place that wont pick me up when i am walking out, but i’d have to think about that. the area I have the camera is a central place where the bad guy would have to walk thru.

@kwg2000 wrote:

My camera is linked to the alarm. The motion detected will set off the alarm, after the 30 seconds to leave. However, before the 30 seconds to leave, it will send a notification for any motion. I suppose I could separate the camera and not integrate it, but then it would always be recording whenever someone walks by and not just when the alarm is triggered, which is what I would prefer. I could also try to put the camera or keypad in place that wont pick me up when i am walking out, but i’d have to think about that. the area I have the camera is a central place where the bad guy would have to walk thru.

Hello @kwg2000 ,

Just to clarify, when you said, “My camera is linked to the alarm” , that you mean that you are using your Ring App to control your cameras and to control your alarm system, but you are aware that the camera system cannot trigger the alarm system.

The primary function of the video camera system is for surveillance, and the primary function of the alarm system is for intruder alarm. It’s best to think of each as two separate systems, but that the two systems just happen to share the same App. But the “Disarm”, “Home” and “Away” Alarm Modes in the App can change the behavior of your cameras to a certain degree.

I don’t know what you exactly mean by, _“However, before the 30 seconds to leave, it (camera?) will send a notification for any motion. I could separate the camera and not integrate it, but then it would always be recording whenever someone walks by and not just when the alarm is triggered, which is what I would prefer.” _ Whatever you mean by “separate the camera and not integrate it” that will not affect the camera’s ‘pushed’ text notifications that you are receiving. Those text-type Notifications are only controlled by main menu > Devices > select your camera > toggle (ON or OFF) ‘Motion Alerts’.

You can set up your Ring App in a variety of ways. If you prefer the cameras to be, “always be recording whenever someone walks by and not just when the alarm is triggered, which is what I would prefer” then go main menu > Devices > select your camera > toggled ON ‘Record Motion’, and then on this same page, select the ‘Mode Settings’ icon button and in all three modes of ‘Disarm’, ‘Home’, and ‘Away’ Modes ensure that camera’s ‘Motion detection enabled’ and ‘Live View enabled.’

For if you ever want the camera to NOT always be recording for every motion-detected activation, but do want only it to record in certain alarm modes of ‘Home’ and/or ‘Away’, (for privacy while your are there), then toggle ‘Record Motion’ toggled OFF on the Device page for that camera, AND then select the ‘Mode Settings’ icon button > select ‘Disarm’ or ‘Home’ modes > Cameras > select your desired camera > and toggle OFF ‘Motion Detection’ here too in that Alarm Mode setting. You can, but it does not make any sense to, do this for the ‘Away’ Mode Settings.

It is important to note that even if in the Alarm Modes ‘Motion detection’ is toggled to ‘disabled OFF’ in an Alarm Mode, that camera will still be recording for every motion-activation if you did not also toggle OFF ‘Record Motion’ on the Device page! To stop a camera from recording, BOTH the ‘Record Motion’ and the Alarm Mode ‘Motion Detection’ must be disabled.

If you toggled OFF the Mode correctly, you will notice that your Dashboard view of this camera will be Blurred" while in ‘Disarmed’ Mode’ (but it will still be recording if the ‘Record Motion’ is left toggled ON). Then in either/or ‘Home’ and/or ‘Away’ Alarm Mode where you have set that camera’s ‘Motion Detection’ enable to toggle ON, then this Alarm Mode setting will override the ‘Record Motion’ OFF setting on the Device page, and indeed the camera WILL RECORD in that Alarm Mode (the Dashboard View of this camera will no longer be ‘blurred’ while in the alarm modes in which you set the alarm mode ‘Motion Detection’ enabled to ON).

I know reading all these settings sounds a little confusing, but play with your settings a little and it should be clearer.

I hope this information is useful to you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@kwg2000 wrote:

I just realized it’s the camera that’s setting off the “motion detected” push notification during my exit. It would send a jingle sound on my phone which i figured out how to disable, but if the camera gets a glimpse of me while exiting, i get the push notification. It’s not the worst thing in the world but kind of annoying. Should I modify your advice and change the camera to entryway?

Also @kwg2000 ,

You said, “It would send a jingle sound on my phone which i figured out how to disable.”

That is different than the ‘pushed’ text Notifications you receive on your phone. Those are “Alerts” sounds, known as “App Alert Tones” on cameras and known as “Chirp Tones” on Alarm Motion sensors and Alarm Contact sensors. They are only controlled by:

For Camera’s “App Alert Tones” : main menu > Devices > select the camera > Device Settings (Gear) icon button > Alert Settings > App Alert Tones > select the App Alert Tone sound of your choice, including the available choice of ‘Silent’.

For Alarm Motion or Contact Sensor “Chirp Tones” : main menu > Devices > Alarm Base Station > select the sensor > Chirp Tones icon button > select the Chirp Tone sound of your choice, including the available choice of ‘None’.

I realize you did figure out how to disable the sounds. :slight_smile: I just wanted to take the opportunity to clarify for others Ring Neighbors that may read your post. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Eagle328 wrote:
Change the motion sensor to entryway. Then you can set a delay for it so you can exit.

Hello @Eagle328 and @kwg2000 ,

What @Eagle328 said is correct concerning that, _"_The cameras are not connected to the alarm and will not set it off" and also correct on setting “Entryway” (vice “Room”) on the Motion-sensors and setting “Main Door” (vice “Window” or “Secondary Door”) on Contact-sensors.

The “Entryway” and “Main-Door” settings are for the Arm (Home or Away) Alarm-Modes to time-delay triggering the alarm by a Motion-Detector-sensor, or the Contact-sensor on the entryway door (these sensors are Not “Bypassed” during arming). This gives you time while exiting before the alarm system arms and gives you time to disarm your system when you re-enter while the alarm system is still armed. The settings of “Room”, “Window”, or “Secondary Door” will immediately trigger the Alarm system if these sensors are tripped, once the alarm system is armed.

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360030784072-Setting-Ring-Alarm-Entry-and-Exit-Delays

But just in case other Ring Neighbors that read this post thread get a little confused, designating that motion-sensor as an " Entryway" or designating a Contact-Sensor as " Main Door" have No Effect on the ‘push’ text-type Notifications. But “Entryway” or “Main Door” DOES Inhibit alarm-sensor Chirp-Tone sounds, but No Effect on Camera motion App-Alert-Tones sounds. If those text-type Notifications are toggled ON, then you still will receive those text Notifications on your App during the entry/exit delay.

Also, @kwg2000 as Eagle328 pointed out to you, there are no delay-time Camera’Entryway’ settings. His idea, “You can set a schedule for the cameras to not notify you of motion” ,_ _is a good idea. :slight_smile:

Hope this clarification helps clear up any potential confusion :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you Boone and everyone else who commented. I’ve had the alarm for a little longer than 24 hours now, and I learned that indeed the camera will not trigger the alarm. I figured that out by waving my hands in front of it and it didn’t set off the alarm, i just assumed it would. That’s totally fine, I purchased it for video, but figured it would act as a motion detector too, because why not? Anyway, I still kept having the problem of getting a push notificaiton whenever i leave the house or come home about the camera detecting motion. Under Devices > Camera > Device Settings > Alert Settings > Notification Preferences there is a slider for Push Notifications. This was disabled on both my phone and my wife’s phone. So it was annoying that we were still getting notifications every time we left the house and got back to the house. We disabled the annoying jingle with the notification but didn’t want any notifications unless the alarm went off. Well I figured it out… I just enabled the camera push notification, and then disabled it again. This fixed it! No more notificaitons. Must have been a glitch or something that caused it to push when it was not enabled. I assumed it had something to do with the alarm configuration. But all is well. I plan to use this alarm in self monitoring mode for a week or so to be sure it’s ready for prime time, then get professional monitoring. Thanks again for the help!

2 Likes