Motion Detector triggering every hour

I have a motion sensor that is triggering motion every hour on the dot when there is no motion. I just installed the system and one out of the 4 motion detectors is triggering motion at exactly one hour increments. This had set off the base station twice. I have disabled the sensor to prevent nusiance alarms. I am not able to troubleshot at this time. I am writing the post as a place holder in the event that I need a replacement motion sensor. I will not be able to troubleshoot the sensor, as I will not be living at the house where it is located at for over a month.

I can think of nothing that would cause a motion sensor to go off exactly every hour. And that also does not sound like a defective sensor, they do not have clocks in them. So I bet there is more to this story, which you will find out when you get home.

Hey @MaykTyRambo! I recommend checking out our help center article containing tips on Motion Detector placement. Based on the symptoms you’ve shared, there may be a heat source nearby causing false motions. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Mine just started to do the same thing three days ago. It goes off every hour on the hour. Did you figure out what was wrong?

2 Likes

Hi @Kmcoomes. I’d suggest referencing the Help Center Article that Marley shared. If your Motion Detector is triggering constantly, it’s possible that there is a window or a source of heat in the Motion Detector’s field of view that is making it go off. You may need to reposition it to avoid this, or adjust the sensitivity lower. If this concern persists, please follow up with our support team at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support. I hope that helps! :slight_smile:

Did anyone actually get a resolution to this? The linked article didn’t help me, so not sure for anyone else.
I have adjusted my motion settings to be pretty close range, with definitely no heat sources in range.
From checking the videos of the recordings there is absolutely no movement or heat being picked up. It is quite literally motion at 00:30, 01:30, 02:30, all the way through to ~07:30, at which point motion starts to be falsely detected multiple times every ~10 minutes or so, at which point the recordings become blank black screens for 40 seconds.

From reading through forum posts and arcticles it sounds like this issue, and the 40 seconds of black screen recordings are quite widespread, with no resolution, and all seemed to start around July of this year. So sounds rather than a dodgy firmware update causing a bug.

1 Like

Hi @JackJ. This thread is referencing the Motion Detectors from the Ring Alarm system. If you have a Doorbell or Camera, you may want to check the Doorbells or Security Cameras boards for any relevant threads that may help with your concern. If you can’t find an answer here, then our support team is available to assist further. You can give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

Mine too. It only started a few days ago and goes off every hour on the hour

Ours goes off every hour on the hour. Precisely. To the minute. This is not random. It is once every 60 minutes and therefore logic dictates it cannot be attributed to heat or placement. It is driving us bonkers. This started a couple of months ago. Hope the solution is found soon.

The Snapshot Capture feature

was the culprit and was turned on when I added a new additional ring camera to my group. My single camera out of the 4 was recording on the hour every hour. It’s a new feature if you have the Protect Plan. Once I turned it off I was relieved.

Go to “Device settings” on whatever camera you have and look at the “Snapshot Capture”. I hope this pinpoints your problem. Good luck!

1 Like