Motion Detector Height - Compensating for higher than optimal?

Hi,

I need to install a Motion detector and had a question about compensating for a height that is higher than optimal. It will be in a corner as recommended, but unfortunately it can only be ~8’ 6" high. I have both a Gen 1 and Gen 2 and can pick which one to install in this location.

The question is - can I compensate for the increased height by angling it slightly down? Gen 1 optimal height is 7’ while Gen 2 is 7’ 6". I presume Gen 2 would be better? I have reviewed the documentation on the coverage pattern of Gen 1 (don’t think this is available for Gen 2?). The problem with increased height would be loss of coverage near the sensor. It seems that tilting it down a bit could solve that? Thanks.

Hi @njarwala. This Help Center article here goes over proper placement for the Gen 1 and Gen 2 Motion Detector for the Ring Alarm system. I would not recommend angling the Motion Detector downwards, as this could adversely affect its ability to properly detect motion. I hope this information helps!

Tom, could you link to the article you referred to? Thanks!

2 Likes

How do I get my ring to start working when I try to reset a device it say I’m all ready registered put will not link me to the ring doorbell outside my front door

Hi @njarwala . I’ve included the link in my original post. I apologize for forgetting to put it in there the first time! :smiley:

Installing the motion detector at a height of 8’ 6" poses a challenge due to the increased height beyond the optimal range. While angling the detector slightly down can help compensate for the higher placement, it may not completely overcome the loss of coverage near the sensor. Comparatively, the Gen 2 motion detector has an optimal height of 7’ 6", which is closer to the actual installation height, making it a better choice in this scenario. Although documentation on the coverage pattern of the Gen 2 model is not explicitly mentioned, it is reasonable to assume that its design would provide improved coverage compared to the Gen 1 model.

hi how are you I hope you are fine

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.