Light fixture blocking motion detector

I wanted to put my motion detector in a corner that can detect a good bit of space, but there’s a light fixture in it’s sight. I’ve tried testing the motion, but I couldn’t get an idea of the range because I hadn’t put it on the wall yet.

The yellow square in my picture is where I want the motion detector to go.

Is it possible to get an accurate range of motion even with a light fixture in the way?

@lego wrote:
I wanted to put my motion detector in a corner that can detect a good bit of space, but there’s a light fixture in it’s sight. I’ve tried testing the motion, but I couldn’t get an idea of the range because I hadn’t put it on the wall yet.

The yellow square in my picture is where I want the motion detector to go.

Is it possible to get an accurate range of motion even with a light fixture in the way?

Hello @lego ,

Ah, that is helpful that you included a picture to explain what you are talking about. And this is a good question. And yes it is true the solid object (the light fixture in this case) will partially block the sensors ability to ‘see’ intruder IF he is perfectly in line with the sensor and lamp. But it is not critical to have motion coverage of every square inch of the room. As long as there is sufficient motion coverage for areas not blocked by this lamp, making it most likely where the intruder is likely to travel, or making it difficult for the intruder to avoid the cover area, you should be fine.

From my personal experience and since your lamp is hanging pretty far from the sensor, I don’t think placing your sensor in this corner will cause as much ‘blocked area’ as you might think. I also like how this location ‘looks’ into the adjoining room (where you stood when you took this photograph) to provide some coverage in there too.

I would recommend temporarily attaching the motion sensor in this corner with some ordinary tape, and then testing it out, to see if indeed you are satisfied with the un-blocked area coverage. Then, if you are satisfied with this location, then remove the temporary tape, and use the double-sided tape that came with your sensor (and/or use screws in the mounting bracket) to mount it in a more permanent manner.

To test your motion sensor:

• Main Menu (the 3 horizontal line icon, upper-left-corner of dashboard) > Devices > Alarm Base Station > select this temporarily tape-mounted motion sensor, and while on this page ensure “Motion Alerts” is toggled (swipe right) blue Enabled AND that “LED Settings” is on “Light” > then click “Test Motion” > click the bottom blue bar “Test Motion Detector.” It should go to the next page that says, “Walk in front of your Motion Detector to test it.”
  • Remember that the Passive-Infrared (PIR) is most sensitive with detecting movement left and right “across” it’s Field-Of-View (FOV) and it is least sensitive with motion “towards” or “away” from it. Walk around for a few steps and then stop. Then look at the sensor’s LED so see if it blinks. Wait a sec for that Motion Alert notification (sent from Base Station, that text-type message pushed to your App), and then move again. This way will better let you figure out where the sensors "detects.’ In your case, walk in that area just to the left & right of the sensor-lamp alignment, to determine if there is minimal blockage caused by your lamp. Click “Done” when you are done.

Bottom-line, it personally think the corner location you want to use (yellow square) is going to be just fine. :slight_smile:

1 Like