Keypad Freezing

Not sure if this will work but I’m trying… @Riley_Ring thank you again. And yes, the filters are way over the top. I don’t think I’ve posted once here that I haven’t had to revise due to some innocuous word getting flagged as a “bad word.” Also, I know this isn’t entirely the right forum for it, but I’ll post this in the community section too, but maybe can we get a primer on what formatting can be used and how to tag users? I tried tagging you just by the @ method as it appears when you tagged me, so we’ll see if it works. But knowing what the forum uses for formatting (markdown? html? bbcode? something custom?) would help. I’ve seen some formatting by the _Ring users such as yourself, so I know there’s a way, it’s just not explained.

Thanks again.

1 Like

Well, I guess that didn’t work for tagging. So yeah, a primer on how to use formatting and tagging would be useful. Going to suggest that in the community forum now. Thanks!

1 Like

@abqnm wrote:
PS: the pre-moderation is pretty insane here. Even Jamîė’s name is a “bad word.” And any competitor name. And so many other basic words. Please roll this back some. It’s annoying to have to re-format the message after being told I used a “bad word” by merely mentioning the name of the founder of the company, by first name only! How insane is that? Having to use a foreign character to merely use the name Jamîė is over the top. Moderation is one thing if it’s excessive, but use reporting. Don’t just block a massive list of words en-masse.

+1 on the pre-moderation point

+1 keypad freezing issue

i was forced to ridiculously reword a post because of the word “w@ste” when referring to the fully charged battery led being constantly on being a w@ste of energy

1 Like

Thanks, neighbors for this feedback. Upon taking a look at some of the ‘banned’ words, I agree they may have been a bit strict. As our first forum though, better safe than sorry :slight_smile: I went ahead and made some adjustments. We’ll continue to monitor and make adjustments accordingly.

As far as the keypad goes, be on the lookout for communication coming from the team very soon. As always, thank you for your patience!

1 Like

@Jennifer_Ring wrote:

Thanks, neighbors for this feedback. Upon taking a look at some of the ‘banned’ words, I agree they may have been a bit strict. As our first forum though, better safe than sorry :slight_smile: I went ahead and made some adjustments. We’ll continue to monitor and make adjustments accordingly.

As far as the keypad goes, be on the lookout for communication coming from the team very soon. As always, thank you for your patience!

Thanks again. I guess I missed this reply. Still can’t use the tagging on mobile, but I know you see all the threads anyway. I totally understand about the new forum issue, being that it’s not officially official yet, and I assume managed by just a few of you at the moment. That’s also why I haven’t shared this site with anyone, since I stumbled upon it by accident, and there’s no links to it on the main site yet.

Either way, thanks again, and I’m hoping for lots of big things in the next couple months. There’s a lot of “coming soon” features floating around that are anxiously anticipated. But I do hope the basic keypad functionality is fixed soon. Beyond that, I’m just happy as new features and Integrations arrive. The alarm base dimming was a big one, and I’m so happy about that.

Take care and I’m subscribed to the rss for the key communities, so I should see any announcements, though when an update on the keypad is available, it would be great to see it posted here too, and I can mark with a “solution.”

1 Like

Both keypads have frozen twice in the last week, lucky i was able to disarm via the app before the countdown finished.

I unplug them (from the keypad rather than the putlet) once a month and have used the reset pin on the back two or three times to remedy frozen keypads.

Firmware is all up to date. Just providing feedback for now.

Both keypads have just frozen A THIRD TIME THIS WEEK DURING DISARMING PROCESS!

RING WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?!?

Hi @TechGuy42 I suggest giving our support team a call at 800-656-1918 so they can take a look at your keypad and further assist with more steps. Although we are more than happy to help, calling our support is your best bet for more in depth troubleshooting.

Mine has gone “Offline” a few times since I’ve installed the system. It is frustrating to have to do the factory reset on the Keypad, and re-install it on my Alarm system. Is there a software fix that needs to be updated on my system? I was recommending the system to others, until the second time it went offline and wouldn’t do anything. Now I’m telling others to be ware - the system may not be as good as we thought.

1 Like

@AKPapa Do you have a strong connection to your keypad? Is it plugged in all the time?

Yes, it’s alwaysplugged in and is about 2 ft. from the Base.

1 Like

If you’re still experiencing this, we highly suggest giving our 24/7 support team a call at 800-656-1918. We’re confident a team member will be able to assist further.

Both keypads failed in the same day, one showing red wifi light the other showing yellow.

Both refused to connect to the base no matter what we did to troubleshoot with tech support, they sent replacement keypads and im currently waiting for them now, using my system purely through my phone but im hesitant to arm the system at all because of how long its taking to connect to the base station.

Before you ask; i have a 400mbps internet connection, the base is 4 feet from the wifi, keypads roughly 30 feet from the base, in a 1 bedroom apartment, signal strength should not be an issue… besides the fact this is OBVIOUSLY a wide spread issue due to some recent change ring made to cause so many customers’ keypads to suddenly all go bad at once

Hi @TechGuy42 - we have asked the neighbors on this thread to call our 24/7 support team, including in a post directed to you on June 6. Have you? If not, please do. Per our Community Guidelines, you’ll note that this is not a support channel and you should always contact support first. There is no further information we can give you on the community, so please contact our support at 800-656-1918. Thank you.

@Jennifer_Ring wrote:

Hi @TechGuy42 - we have asked the neighbors on this thread to call our 24/7 support team, including in a post directed to you on June 6. Have you? If not, please do. Per our Community Guidelines, you’ll note that this is not a support channel and you should always contact support first. There is no further information we can give you on the community, so please contact our support at 800-656-1918. Thank you.

@Jennifer_Ring its increasingly frustrating that y’all dont actually read our posts before responding.

Not to be rude, but the issues you’re having are different than the single issue this post was created regarding, and that was the first time you mentioned the disconnections. I know you said you talked to support but they’re basically saying they can’t really do more than tech support would. Their efforts to get you to call in are not because they didn’t read your post, but because the team that runs the community isn’t the support team, and don’t have access to all the tools as support does to diagnose problems. The community isn’t even publicly launched yet, so it’s fine for the basic announcements from the Ring team, and help from other users (plus occasional tips from the Ring team) and getting info to Ring regarding long-standing issues.

But losing communication is different than the keypad freezing when it’s being constantly powered. Support can access more details about the state of the Z-wave network, helping to figure out what is going wrong with the connection on your keypads, which they have seen fit to replace. There could be interference in your area that is bordering on the frequencies used for Z-wave. Or you lucked out and got defective keypads. But try the replacements when they arrive and see how things go. Also, with such a small area, you’re not using the range extender, are you? If used when not needed, it can actually lead to connection problems as the network status is monitored and rebuilt periodically, it may decide some days that communication for X keypad should go through the extender, then on to the base. I rarely need to use them in all but the largest houses. They can cause more problems than they solve in small areas (just like all the people using unnecessary mesh wifi systems that also make a mess of things when too close together). So if you’ve got a range extender, while your at home for a few hours, go ahead and unplug it and remove the battery from it. Don’t delete from the network yet, just get it offline first to try. If things improve or don’t get materially worse, then remove the extender from the network (you may need to power it back up to be able to remove it successfully).

Having installed dozens of these, I’ve never encountered the keypads going offline or a red connection light. Intermittent yellow is fairly normal at the boundaries of the range, especially if there are unnecessary range extenders used. The base has quite a powerful Z-wave radio, and I’ve found the base alone to be plenty to connect the majority of homes. And with a small apartment, I see zero need for one, and if you’re using it, that could very well be a major contributor to the offline issues you’re having with the keypad.

But again, I’m just trying to help here as another user, but you shouldn’t expect detailed support from the Ring community team, as they’re not able to access all the same tools as support can.

1 Like

I understand what you’re saying, too bad for the fact that of all the times I spoke with support over the phone… Not one person mentioned what you said about using the extender.

Now, thanks to my persistence on this forum and your detailed response, the whole community can be aware of using the extender in small areas can cause more problems.

In in any case, an update has been pushed to the keypads, in part thanks to the noise made on this forum. Hopefully this will remedy many of the issues discussed.

1 Like

@TechGuy42 wrote:

I understand what you’re saying, too bad for the fact that of all the times I spoke with support over the phone… Not one person mentioned what you said about using the extender.

Now, thanks to my persistence on this forum and your detailed response, the whole community can be aware of using the extender in small areas can cause more problems.

In in any case, an update has been pushed to the keypads, in part thanks to the noise made on this forum. Hopefully this will remedy many of the issues discussed.

Yeah I only discovered the extender issues by practice. Installing quite a few systems, you pick up the tricks. Also knowing what a mess other mesh technologies can be in close proximity (people, you don’t need a mesh wifi system in a 600sq ft single level dwelling), I found that not using the extender unless I encountered issues was a better policy than installing it regardless. If you’ve got many floors or a very extended layout, then the extender is useful. But for the majority of residential installs, it’s not even needed, in my experience.

1 Like

Since all this hoopla of keypads freezing started, then the update “fix” was pushed to the keypads, they are freezing (for lack of better words) more often than it used to before the fix, today causing my alarm to go off after attempting to disarm several times and the keypad just kept counting down until the sirens went off and I disarmed through the app.

Let me elaborate what I mean when I say, “freezing…”

To begin with, the keypads never “froze” in the sense of a computer, they always were responsive to button pressing but entering a code and disarming did not affect the countdown… and I don’t know what better to say than “freezing.”

This problem has become more persistent since the “fix” update pushed to keypads specifically about 3 weeks ago.

Woke up this morning to the sound of the alarm because my wife was unable to disarm the ‘Home’ mode before she left for work. Went and tried myself and the keypad would register key presses, but wouldn’t set, change the status of the system (tried this when leaving to arm the house).

I did set the alarm to ‘Home’ mode last night via the app because i forgot to do it and reaching the top floor, it was easier to do it that way. Does that cause some sort of issue?

My Keypad is in the hallway, on battery not far from the base station.

Will try a reset when i get home but am a little concerned i paid good money for a system that maybe isn’t working as optimally as it should.