Keypad Armed Status

Is there a possibility to keep the “Armed” indicator on the keypad illuminated while the system is armed? I could see this feature not being available when the keypad is wireless but it would be helpful for those who have the keypad wired.

Good question @jmcmullan1! If your Keypad is running on battery and power save mode is on, a button press will illuminate the mode LEDs, but they will not come on otherwise. If the Keypad is plugged in to power, the armed mode LED indicator and other indicators will illuminate once it senses your proximity to the Keypad.

Check out our Community post about Keypad lights for more information. :slight_smile:

PLEASE FIX THE GEN 2 LIGHTS WHEN PLUGGED IN :frowning:

So relative to the keypad buttons and what is / isn’t lit up when plugged in. I have both a Gen 1 and a Gen2 keypad. The both act differently :frowning:

Both are plugged in (with their respective cords and power adaptors), both have power save mode OFF

On Gen1, the mode light will stay lit at all times.

On Gen 2, the mode light will only light up when it detects your prescence - the same as when power save mode is on.

I hope this was an oversight with the Gen2 keypad that wil be corrected in a firmware update. Being able to glance across the room and see if the system is armed or not is useful, and the major advantage of having it plugged in!!!

Thank you for sharing with the Community, @kgfrayne! We try to include as many features as possible with our devices, and are always working to add to them. The Keypad lights work as follows:

• With power save on: Mode buttons light up when a button is pressed. Numbers light up when it’s dark and any button is pressed. This option will conserve the most energy.
  • With power save off: Mode buttons light up when motion is detected. Numbers light up when it’s dark and either (1) a button is pressed or (2) motion is detected.

As we value our neighbors’ feedback, we’ve created a Feature Request board. Feel free to add this and any future feature requests there. This will help us to organize and share your requests with our teams here, as well as allow other neighbors to comment and add interest, all in one place. :slight_smile:

Not to disagree - but below is what I see elsewhere on your site regarding 2nd gen keypad operation when plugged in._ _ Does your response consider this? Is the article below now out of date?

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360042894911-Ring-Alarm-Keypad-2nd-gen-Lights-and-Buttons-Explained

Using the Keypad Power Saving Mode

The Ring Alarm Keypad has three power save options:

• Plugged in: Mode buttons light is always on. Numbers light up when it’s dark or motion is detected.

• Battery-powered, with power save on: Mode buttons light up when a button is pressed. Numbers light up when it’s dark and any button is pressed. This option will conserve the most energy.

• Battery-powered, with power save off: Mode buttons light up when motion is detected. Numbers light up when it’s dark and either (1) a button is pressed or (2) motion is detected.

2 Likes

They changed the article to remove the plugged in always on status. This is absurd, removing functionality. I should have bought the Gen1, cheaper, more functionality.

3 Likes

Yes - it would be nice to be able to see the mode at a glance from far away if the keypad is plugged in.

I completely agree here and this is ridiculous. Not being able to see the status of the system from across the room! The motion sensor only works at around 3 ft from the keypad as well. Firmware update or 2nd gen recall is needed please?

Hi neighbors. The status lights function differently depending on if you have a 1st generation Keypad or a 2nd generation Keypad. I’ve addressed this concern before in the following thread, where the behavior for each Keypad is detailed based on the Power Save Mode. I hope this helps clear things up.

Hey neighbors, with a recent update you can now choose between the following 3 modes for the Ring Alarm Keypad (2nd Generation):

• Keep Mode Button Lit. LED lights will stay on at all times (when plugged into a working power source).
  • Motion Turns on Lights. LEDs light up when sensing motion.
  • Button Press Turns on Lights. LEDs light up only when you press a button on your Keypad (preserves battery power).

To choose Keypad modes, open your Ring app, navigate to your Keypad device on the main menu, then go to the LED Settings tile. You can learn more in this Help Center article. :slight_smile: