Just curious when Ring for Android will stop sharing our data...

When can we expect these new security features and settings?

Amazon-owned home security and smart home company Ring announced at CES that its iOS and Android applications will soon include a new Control Center from where users can manage privacy and security features and settings.

“Ring claims to prioritize the security and privacy of its customers, yet time and again we’ve seen these claims not only fall short, but harm the customers and community members who engage with Ring’s surveillance system,” EFF (Electronic Frontier Foundation) concludes.

https://www.securityweek.com/ring-doorbell-app-android-sends-out-loads-user-data

2 Likes

Hi @richwnkc,

First and foremost, we want to remind you that at Ring, privacy is foundational - and guides every decision we make.

Like many companies, Ring uses third-party service providers to understand the use of our mobile app, which helps us improve features, optimize your customer experience, and evaluate the effectiveness of our marketing. We care deeply about providing our neighbors with the best possible experience and leverage these tools to help us do so.

We want to ensure you that these service providers’ use of the data provided is contractually limited to appropriate purposes, such as performing these services on our behalf, and not for other purposes. Ring is not in the business of selling customer information.

For more information, please reference our Privacy Notice on Ring.com/privacy.

Thank you,

Chelsea

1 Like

There simply can be NO justifiable reason to provide Facebook ANY data from Ring systems. I spent quite a bit of effort making sure Facebook could not track me on the web (including deleting my account), and find that my home SECURITY service has given them a sneaky back door to my walled garden. Wonderful. I have removed the Ring app from my primary phone, placing it on an empty spare phone with no SIM card for local use, and am presently evaluating real security system alternatives. https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2020/01/ring-doorbell-app-packed-third-party-trackers

2 Likes

I have never understood why ANYONE would willingly sign up on ANY of the social media platforms, given the multiple ways they abuse and misuse the personal data they harvest from users routinely, becoming very wealthy in the process.

And if THAT’S not enough to dissuade people from doing it, “social media” also brings out the absolute worst in people, making it a place no discerning individual should EVER want to be. Mystifying to me why people insist on doing it.